GDT: Draft Day Part II

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Last few from last thread

Usually I am, and thankfully we've got Laine to make this overall a success.

Chevy said there was no doubt he would be the Jets pick.

Chevy says they feel like they hit a home run with Laine

He has a nice set of skills to go with his impressive size.

The only reason Stanley is frowned on around here is because of his analytics. Some probably haven't even seen him play, and are basing it off the numbers.

Even that would be something. I guess. I'm thinking more along the lines of Cody Sol

Unfortunately the numbers paint a really, really horrifying picture.

First two I thought of was Boris Valabik and Alex Plante. Both big guys that couldn't skate with "grit".

Agree, people were freaking out when they picked Schief....seems like a typically late developing pick...Detroit usually makes smart picks, if they were taking him I think we will be ok

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
I was so happy for this draft, thinking we would draft Laine, an LHD not named Logan Stanley, and someone else possibly Clague/Dineen.... and then Chevy takes Logan Stanley and trades away 22 and 36 :shakehead

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I give our 1st and 2nd picks today full support.
0esVOPO.png

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Will this be Keaton Ellerby pick?
I hope he turns out good, Jets do support and guide their prospect really well.

I think they will be able to maximize his potential.
IF he become a #4 that is good already, in 3 years
Morrissey Trouba
Stanley Myers ( or A trade )

with Enstrom probably gone already and Buff in a decline.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I wonder if we would have made this pick (Stanley) with Marcel Comeau still in charge of scouting? Maybe this signals a changing of the guard (valuing size over skill)? Should know a bit more when we see how the rest of the draft shapes up.

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
Thinking about it I hope someone didn't leak that Tampa draft paper and then we ended up trading down and Logan Stanley was hopefully long gone by then and then we ended up drafting one of Girard/Clague/Johansen/Dineen :(

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Chevy says:

Jets scouts were as passionate about Stanley as they were for Scheifele.

Wow, didn't know he said this, that's huge. He's a project for sure, but I'm Okay with this trade/pick. Never know what he'll be like in 4 years, could be great! Glad we chose a defenseman.

Stanley also has a massive name, imagine if his name gets knocked into the cup it's named after. ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy interview just ended on TSN 1290.

He is very happy with both picks.

And maybe the scouts for TNSE have more insight than the common wisdom of us posters most of which have never actually watched Stanley play? Maybe right now professional scouts are high fiving that they were able to catch a kid before his true worth was fully realized because his unusual size that affected coordination was all the casual observer could see? Just saying.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
For those trying to equate this with the Scheifele pick, it's not even close. It's not even in the same galaxy let alone being in the same ballpark. Scheifele was not the most optimal pick statistically for where he was picked but he was in the usual parameters of distance from the optimal pick.

That pick was like if you are buying a house and for the same price you had the choice of buying one in the suburbs where the prices are likely to be stable and there is very low risk vs buying in a neighbourhood that is beginning the process of gentrification. 3 years from now if everything works out the house in the gentrified neighbourhood is gonna up its value significantly compared to the house in the suburbs. This pick on the other hand is like if you could have bought two houses in okay-ish neighborhoods that are nothing sexy but do the job but for the same money you chose to invest in property in Syria :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad