Proposal: Draft Day Moves

snowmustgo

Mar 8, 2018
I was thinking about some draft day trades we should do. I am operating under the assumption that Tavares wont be back.

NYI: 11th and 72nd OA
for
PHI: 14th and 50th OA

NYI: Brock Nelson and 43rd OA
for
LAK: 20th OA

This leaves us at 12th, 14th, 20th, 41st, 50th, and 103rd for rounds 1-4

12th OA: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Can be a great #2 behind Barzal and had a great year playing as a kid in a mens league.
10G+19A=29P in 57 games in Finlands top league. Also 9 points in 7 games at WJC-18.
He's been rising lately and I think he is riskier pick than Hayton or Veleno but the reward would be great.

14th OA: Bode Wilde
Great 2 way RHD who has size and strength at 6'2" and 196 lbs. Good at reading the play at both ends of the ice. Takes away lanes and keeps opponents on the outside in the D zone. Offensively, handles the puck very well and has a great shot. Played with USDP and put up 3G+13A=16P in 25 games in the USHL while being a +19. Also can be seen as a risky pick but I think this kid is a real stud and can be a top pairing guy in the future.

20th OA: Jared McIsaac
Another 2 way dman who is built for todays NHL. Dynamic skater who is solid on both ends of the puck. Takes away time and space from opponents in the d zone and neutral zone. Can rush the puck up the ice like as well as any forward. Not scared to step up and throw the body in the neutral zone and doesn't get caught out of position because he recovers quickly due to his skating ability. 6'1' and 194 lbs
9G+38A=47P in 65 games in the QMJHL and +14 rating.

41st OA: Jonatan Berggren
Many think he may go in the first round and that is very possible but if he drops to us at 41 it would be great. It seems like overtime he's on the ice, he creates a highlight real play. One of the best, young one on one players. Skating and agility is off the charts and can pass and shoot very well. Led the SuperElit in points with 18G+39A=57P in 38 games, +24 rating.

50 OA: Sean Durzi
Islanders seem to like this guy from what Ive read and I believe he came to one of our camps last year.
Hes am '98 so hes an over ager and is mature. He's 6'0'' and 195 lbs. Had a great season with Owen Sound in the OHL. 15G+34A=49p in 4o games and he was big for them in the playoffs with another 4 goals and 12 assists in 11 playoff games. He likes to jump up in the rush and skates well.

103 OA: Linus Nyman

A small but very speedy and agile winger who had a great second season in the OHL putting up 39G+46A=85P in 67 games. He will be going to play in Liiga next season which will be good for his development and he can get used to playing against bigger and stronger men. He will need to put on weight if he will wants to keep up because he is only 160 lbs.

This is my ideal draft through 4 rounds. It wont happen because... Snow. Let me know what you think.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I was thinking about some draft day trades we should do. I am operating under the assumption that Tavares wont be back.

for

for

Can be a great #2 behind Barzal and had a great year playing as a kid in a mens league.
10G+19A=29P in 57 games in Finlands top league. Also 9 points in 7 games at WJC-18.
He's been rising lately and I think he is riskier pick than Hayton or Veleno but the reward would be great.

Great 2 way RHD who has size and strength at 6'2" and 196 lbs. Good at reading the play at both ends of the ice. Takes away lanes and keeps opponents on the outside in the D zone. Offensively, handles the puck very well and has a great shot. Played with USDP and put up 3G+13A=16P in 25 games in the USHL while being a +19. Also can be seen as a risky pick but I think this kid is a real stud and can be a top pairing guy in the future.

Another 2 way dman who is built for todays NHL. Dynamic skater who is solid on both ends of the puck. Takes away time and space from opponents in the d zone and neutral zone. Can rush the puck up the ice like as well as any forward. Not scared to step up and throw the body in the neutral zone and doesn't get caught out of position because he recovers quickly due to his skating ability. 6'1' and 194 lbs

Many think he may go in the first round and that is very possible but if he drops to us at 41 it would be great. It seems like overtime he's on the ice, he creates a highlight real play. One of the best, young one on one players. Skating and agility is off the charts and can pass and shoot very well. Led the SuperElit in points with 18G+39A=57P in 38 games, +24 rating.

This is my ideal draft through 4 rounds. It wont happen because... Snow. Let me know what you think.

Kotkaniemi- I have read some really promising scouting reports on him. His offensive upside sounds higher then Veleno's. Any idea why Veleno is chosen higher in so many mock drafts?

Wilde - I would prefer not to spend such a high pick on a boom or bust type. I was ok taking a chance on JHS,but that was a very late 1st.

I will have to do some reading up on your other choices Berggren and McIsaac.

Reactions: IODCPiper

snowmustgo

Mar 8, 2018
Kotkaniemi- I have read some really promising scouting reports on him. His offensive upside sounds higher then Veleno's. Any idea why Veleno is chosen higher in so many mock drafts?

Wilde - I would prefer not to spend such a high pick on a boom or bust type. I was ok taking a chance on JHS,but that was a very late 1st.

Veleno is a safer pick and wilde isn’t boom or bust. He probably won’t bust he just may not become a top pairing guy. He is also risky simply because he plays a risky style sometime. But the skill is undeniable.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Interesting moves sng, but I think Snow isn't the type to move down at all. Move UP, yes, does that all the time. That being said, if they see someone they like near the bottom of round 1, I can see Snow trading his 2 second round picks to move up into the 1st round.

snowmustgo

Mar 8, 2018
Interesting moves sng, but I think Snow isn't the type to move down at all. Move UP, yes, does that all the time. That being said, if they see someone they like near the bottom of round 1, I can see Snow trading his 2 second round picks to move up into the 1st round.
we’d be moving back into the first for the mcisaac pick but don’t think he would move both seconds. It’s a good draft and seems like they want to as many picks as possible which is why i added nelson. I think he can be valued as a 2nd rounder

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

My 3 favorite Defensman were/are Bouchard Wilde and McIssac.

Wilde has so much up side and is a great skater. He’s just so raw and really needs to be developed.

McIsaac has a disappointing season from what he was expected to do but I still love him as a prospect and think he has top4 potential. I wouldn’t spend a top15 pick on him in this draft but I think he’s definitely worthy of being picked 15-35.

We’re in an odd spot in the draft. All the big6 Defensman May go top 10 and 11&12 May be too early to take the next tier of Defensman. We need some stud Defensman but I think we need to stay with BPA and if it’s 2 forwards then so be it.

snowmustgo

Mar 8, 2018

Wilde has so much up side and is a great skater. He’s just so raw and really needs to be developed.

McIsaac has a disappointing season from what he was expected to do but I still love him as a prospect and think he has top4 potential. I wouldn’t spend a top15 pick on him in this draft but I think he’s definitely worthy of being picked 15-35.

We’re in an odd spot in the draft. All the big6 Defensman May go top 10 and 11&12 May be too early to take the next tier of Defensman. We need some stud Defensman but I think we need to stay with BPA and if it’s 2 forwards then so be it.
That’s why I moved some picks around. It just doesn’t make sense for us to pick two centers at 11 and 12 i think. Moving down to 14 where Wilde would be BPA and getting 50th OA makes sense

Reactions: SI90

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

That raw discription is what had me concerned about boom or bust.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That raw discription is what had me concerned about boom or bust.

Yeah it sucks. He’s got all the tools to succeed. Really just needs to be coached up and developed. I’m not sure if we’re the organization that can do that.

You watch him and you see the talent but then you also see him make questionable decisions and even struggle sometimes on defense.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Unless we are getting a young NHL now type player back for 11 or 12. I wouldn't move these picks. While I love the draft we don't need to waste more time waiting for young kids to hopefully pan out. This will be even more important if JT leaves.

scott99

May 13, 2005
we’d be moving back into the first for the mcisaac pick but don’t think he would move both seconds. It’s a good draft and seems like they want to as many picks as possible which is why i added nelson. I think he can be valued as a 2nd rounder
I’d love to get a 2nd round pick for Nelson. But I’m not sure they are anyone would do that. He’s worth more to the Isles I think, than he would be for other teams. Mind boggling inconsistent, but averages 20+ goals a year.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Kotkaniemi- I have read some really promising scouting reports on him. His offensive upside sounds higher then Veleno's. Any idea why Veleno is chosen higher in so many mock drafts?.

I really don't know. Everything I've read from actually suggests that Kotkaniemi is rising fast, and NYI should be absolutely psyched if he's there at 11.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’d love to get a 2nd round pick for Nelson. But I’m not sure they are anyone would do that. He’s worth more to the Isles I think, than he would be for other teams. Mind boggling inconsistent, but averages 20+ goals a year.

Nelson was shopped this season and Friedman reported some team pushed hard for him,but the isles passed.

Isles were looking for D at that time.

Friedman never mentioned what team pushed hard for Nelson or what their offer was. Just guessing on my part, but teams like Calgary,L.A. and Columbus needed scoring.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I could imagine a team taking a shot on him--one with a smart coaching staff, that views him as a winger. Potting 20 goals consistently is a very nice headline and if he was slotted into a position that didn't highlight his deficiencies, could be a nice pickup. That said, a high 2nd for him would be fantastic

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

20+ goals a year has value around the league, he'd get a 2nd at minimum. We see his warts, other teams see a guy who scores and can be fixed by playing with their team.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Him and a 2nd might actually get you a 17-22 OA pick

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It all depends on what happens with JT. If he re-signs, then I think you can move Nelson in a deal, or separate deals, for a true 3C. That is a dire need.

I would then scout and target the top defense prospects and do everything (within reason) to get one of them. Move pick #12 and a second rounder to get the player you like. From there sit back and probably take the best forward at #11 and BPA the rest of the way.

If JT leaves, then you have to listen to offers on almost everyone not named Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, etc. Shop Lee, Eberle, Nelson, Leddy, etc. Obviously it doesn't need to be a firesale right now, however, if someone wants to overpay in picks/prospects, so be it.

Without JT, it probably makes more sense to retool and look to truly compete when the new arena is closer. Of course I would prefer Snow doesn't get a chance to continue the never-ending rebuild.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This was fun, but a few things...

for

If PHI would do this, don't think it's in our interest to drop from 11 to 14. If this team doesn't mind dropping back, I think a better deal has got to be there for it to happen.

And I think better offers would come, but not so much based on picks, but rather a flop of draft spots with a prospect or two added.

Yes, PHI would be a possibility, as they could like a dropper and they have prospects galore as is. They won't be able to bring or hold on to all those kids they have.

for

As long as Snow is here, I cannot imagine him moving his special boy Nelson. That's his favvvvvve player whatsoever.

And if he is trading him, he's not doing it for any deal that doesn't involve some viable goalie, top 4 Dman or center coming back in return. As an easily cost-controlled RFA trading piece, he's still got more value than this deal above - even if I as a guy who loves draft day wouldn't hesitate to make such a deal.

I just wouldn't throw a 2nd in there to boot. Most teams would be THRILLED to get a Nelson-caliber player with a back half of the first round pick.

But let's say this team picks up the picks you mention...

I'll tell you right now that Kotkaniemi is not on the board at 12 this June. Take it to the bank. He may be at 11, but not 12, 'cause if he's there at 11, he's the guy PHI (in your scenario) traded up to get.:)

I know these are guys that some here feel are going to be good NHLers one day, but neither is among the top 6 Dmen in this draft and if the Isles are losing Tavares - which they must know by draft day - they are grabbing the Velenos, Haytons, and Kotkaniemi's of the world with their picks.

And if a Hayton or Farabee is on the board at 14, then Wilde is not the BPA at that spot.

50 OA: Sean Durzi
Islanders seem to like this guy from what Ive read and I believe he came to one of our camps last year.
Hes am '98 so hes an over ager and is mature. He's 6'0'' and 195 lbs. Had a great season with Owen Sound in the OHL. 15G+34A=49p in 4o games and he was big for them in the playoffs with another 4 goals and 12 assists in 11 playoff games. He likes to jump up in the rush and skates well.

103 OA: Linus Nyman
A small but very speedy and agile winger who had a great second season in the OHL putting up 39G+46A=85P in 67 games. He will be going to play in Liiga next season which will be good for his development and he can get used to playing against bigger and stronger men. He will need to put on weight if he will wants to keep up because he is only 160 lbs.

These guys are good and fine as prospects, but I have the following thoughts.

Not a one of them is a center. There are just too many fine and promising centers ranked between 11-75 in this draft for the Isles to grab this many players with only one guy like Kotkaniemi being a center in a year where Tavares walks and the next best centers in the prospect bin are Fritz and Stevens.

Berggren is one of the kids whose ticket improved at the U18. Honestly, I'm not sure he's still there at 41, but he'd be a fine enough pick.

You've mentioned two overagers - not sure this Islander team takes that many right away, especially after they took Aho, signed him, and even saw him in the show last spring. Furthermore, as nice as Durzi's numbers are, I think it's exactly his skating that prevented him from being drafted last summer and I'm not sure many out there feel he's can be able to improve on that - but he's surely on the Isles' list.

You didn't mention anyone from Waterloo.:)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'd trade the 20th and drop back another 5-10 positions...

assuming Merkely is still there..pick him up and the with the 41st..pick Jett Woo..

Trade the other seconds we have for 2nds in next year's draft.

This is if Philly AND LA agree to the trades in the first place.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
which one of hughes , bouchard , dobson , boqvist has a chance of sliding to 11th ? My guess would be Dobson

it seems like the kotkaniemi guy is the late riser who could crack the top 1o and push one of the above D to the isles . I suppose you'd have to analyze which teams drafting ahead of isles are more likely to draft a D/F etc..

by all means , on the draft floor if theres a sense that your guy's still there at 14 make that philly trade .

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m not interested in stockpiling draft picks. If management decides to rebuild, then your plan is apropos.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I'm hoping we trade 12, a 2nd and maybe a later pick for 7-8 and grab bouchard or dobson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad