GDT: Draft Day 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I read that Wright has ~ 50/50% chance of becoming an average 2C (at best), nothing special. Certainly not worth the assets it'd take to acquire 2OA, imo.
Eh, I think a lot of the conversations of "player X's ceiling is ___ or ____" are pretty arbitrary. There is a wide range of outcomes for these kids.

You can say player X has more/less upside, or more/less risk, but the longer you follow the draft you realize kids out/under-perform their draft expectations all the time.

JT Miller scored 99 pts this year, I don't think the absolute best case scenario for Shane Wright is he an average 2C.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What is Zelepukin chopped zliver?
He's the secret ingredient weapon & predecessor to the other salted cured meats combo platter a la Zetterlund, Zharkov, Zavaruhkin.

At least per Zdeno Ciger, Zach Parise & the legend dairy Zach Tarkir. HM to J.Dziama
& Zdenek Skorepka.

...I'll be here all week, tip your cocktail waitresses & bartenders, it's been fun folks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Eh, I think a lot of the conversations of "player X's ceiling is ___ or ____" are pretty arbitrary. There is a wide range of outcomes for these kids.

You can say player X has more/less upside, or more/less risk, but the longer you follow the draft you realize kids out/under-perform their draft expectations all the time.

JT Miller scored 99 pts this year, I don't think the absolute best case scenario for Shane Wright is he an average 2C.
I don't study the draft like many here, it's too much, not necessarily in an info overload kinda way, but it's so subjective, too many variables. I don't envy having to make draft day decisions or even being a scout (as cool as that job sounds).

I realize they're all over the map over/underperforming (mostly), but what I read didn't paint Wright in the best light either, therefore (unfairly ?) skewing my perspective a bit. So 3-5 yrs from now we'll know if he's the next Pat Falloon or Tomas Hertl.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I read that Wright has ~ 50/50% chance of becoming an average 2C (at best), nothing special. Certainly not worth the assets it'd take to acquire 2OA, imo.

He will probably be a 1st line c, just not a franchise guy. So he will have appeal. We probably won't have the value to trade for #2.

I'm not saying we should trade for him. I am just saying it will hold value if he doesn't go first. A winger for that spot has very little value.

Reactions: Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My mind really hasn't changed. Just go get one of Kasper, Geekie, Savoie, Nazar or Mintyukov at 8.

Just stay away from Lekkerimaki, Lambert and Kemell

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Exciting day just wanted to check in. Always a guessing game what will happen. Loving this slow crawl build towards a great team.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I'm guessing this was posted already at some point in the other thread?

I love his willingness to drive to the center. And drafting a hometown kid is always a cool story (provided it's not purely for that reason).

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
that draft hosts thing is weird to look at

as you said the Wings haven't hosted it since 1987(which was also the only time they ever hosted it), Boston has also only ever hosted it once and not since 1999, somehow the Rangers(or Islanders for that matter) have never hosted it yet Buffalo has 3 times and the Devils have once, Chicago has only ever hosted it once too(albeit in 2017), Toronto has hosted it twice and not since 2002

Montreal who is hosting it this year just hosted it in 2009 which is more recent than tons of teams, Ottawa a while back hosted it in 2005 and then again in 2009 for some reason

it all just feels so random looking at it

Agreed. It doesn’t make much sense.

I feel like the league should be aiming to put the draft in cities which have top notch facilities. Edmonton has one of the best arenas in the league, but hasn’t hosted since 1995.

Detroit is the only other city with a brand new arena that hasn’t hosted in 25+ years (not counting Vegas or Seattle, though I expect both cities to get the draft in the next 5 years or so). New Jersey and Pittsburgh both got the draft not long after opening new arenas.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
1657203533412.png

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Kasper, Gauthier, Nazar, Savoie in that order. If Nemec falls then jump on that and trade Hronek.

I just have a gut feel that there's more and more of a chance that Kasper could be the guy that goes higher than expected, not Gauthier.

Still taking Savoie over any of the other three forwards you have listed.

Reactions: lilidk

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am imagining the draft hosting decision goes to who's arena doesn't have a summer concert scheduled that day.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I just have a gut feel that there's more and more of a chance that Kasper could be the guy that goes higher than expected, not Gauthier.

Still taking Savoie over any of the other three forwards you have listed.

I think both go between 5 and 7. I'm kind of hoping Ottawa goes after a winger or defenseman with their 1st which means there's a good chance of either guy falling to Detroit.

Reactions: lilidk

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
European here, it will be midnight for us when we find out who goes to Detroit. Won't be logging into any social media streams tommorow because I dont want to get spoiled. The suspense is fun.

Will rewatch the Scouching draft stream for some good reactions and insights. Very hyped!
Even if you were on the Azores, the Red Wings pick will likely be still up in the air on midnight. Get to bed early, set your alarm on 2:10 a.m. CET and watch the Tigers game while waiting for the pick - of course, unless you have any plans for tomorrow...

Among the players who will probably be available at #8, Savoie seems to be the best choice to me. There is a fair chance that he becomes a good 2C (so a high upside) and a good chance that he will end up as a top 6 wing otherwise.

Gruß,
BSHH

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Best part about today is that the YouTube algorithm should start finally chilling with recommending highlight videos of some kid getting secondary assists and making hard cuts at the blueline set to emo rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad