Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nah. Honestly would rather go for an elite talent at #8 and roll the dice on the picks in the late 20's. I don't think that this is how it will go for the Rangers though.

Gordie Clark's MO has almost always been to go with the "safe" USNTP kid in the first round. Rangers went (too) safe with Lias last year at #7. Going by past trends, I think Farabee is going to be the pick if the Rangers stay at or around #8. Wouldn't be my pick if some other players are available, but I wouldn't be upset about him either.

Not saying that we aren’t going with an American pick, but at 7-9 I doubt it will influence our decision a lot.

I like Farabee, my favorite type of player, but I don’t think we are going with him at 7-9. Who knows, but...

Also — I think team’s lists differs a lot (as usual) compared to the consensus rankings. There will be teams that have someone like Farabee 15-20 as well as teams that have him 5-10.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Have we talked about Blake McLaughlin yet? Few clips I’ve seen of the kid show that he hs unreal quickness on his feet. His ability to sharply change direction and make plays with the puck were impressive.

Downside is he’s small weight-wise, but I feel like there’s a really good track record for kids who are ppg in the USHL in their draft year to become NHL players. I think I saw a mock with us taking him in the second round

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Boqvist falls to 8, someone picking in front of us ****ed up.

One heads up though, if you have one group watching him outside U18 and one group watching him at the U18 I think you get pretty different reports.

Boqvist has issues defensively. He plays a style that is functional in the WJCs. But there are issues there. Reminiscent of a Dave Rundblad type of issues. He goes very straight into defensive plays, his reads are good and he is firm enough to often get the job done. When he faces better players it gets real messy though. His lateral movement and backward skating aren’t very good.

Does he have Karlsson potential? I remember seing Ottawa play Frölunda in the preseason in 2008. Karlsson at 18 was a fresh draftee of Ottawa. 1st round pick. Nobody gambled more than Karlsson, but he can play a very good defensive game. Don’t think many who saw that game from the management of Ottawa ever will forget that game, EK was amazing. So smooth defensively. Separated guys from the puck defensively. Chris Neil got into it with a Frölunda player in the 3rd. A shift later Neil takes a pass at center and Karlsson just goes full Kronwall on him, absolute top speed and jumps in his arse into the chest of Neil. At 160 lbs, he just dropped Neil to the knees and Karlsson also lost his balance, but it’s a play I never will forget. Everyone on the Ottawa bench and Neil was like looking at each other, Karlsson was built like a 15 y/o but they were amazed by him.

You don’t get a carte blanche as a D just because you are good offensively.

Boqvist is very good offensively, and his biggest asset is how he thinks offense. He takes the offensive game from a D further than I’ve seen anyone before. He is tremendously fast to think offense, and it’s not by ‘gambling’, like anyone can just dart out of the zone when it looks like you might win a puck. Boqvist reads the play so well, when his teams wins the puck he is often already way up ice, I’ve never seen him ‘cheat’ yet.

I would been very intrigued with him if he started to drop towards us. But there are also some concerns. It’s one thing if an Elias Pettersson has that type of concerns. A defender must be able to play NHL defense to play in the NHL. Think it’s going to be a bigger process for Boqvist than it was for Karlsson. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick him at 7, but...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Wahlstrom looked better against Sweden than Canada, it was the first game. Not sure how much they had played up towards the tournament. How hard they had worked physically to be at top shape at the back end of the tournament when it starts to matter.

Wahlstrom won’t really make your team better in the areas a team want to get better in in this league right now. But he can become a heck of a goal scorer.

I think it’s possible that either Boqvist or Wahlstrom are available at 6, but would be more surprised if either reached 7 or 8. Who knows.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His games outside the U18 are mostly SHL games against professionals. As a 17-year old. I'd expect him to have his ups and downs. What is more telling is that he has good games rather than having games where he is outmatched. If he would have only good games, he'd be on Dahlin's level.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not saying that we aren’t going with an American pick, but at 7-9 I doubt it will influence our decision a lot.

I like Farabee, my favorite type of player, but I don’t think we are going with him at 7-9. Who knows, but...

Also — I think team’s lists differs a lot (as usual) compared to the consensus rankings. There will be teams that have someone like Farabee 15-20 as well as teams that have him 5-10.

Been saying this all along.

Reactions: Ola

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Have we talked about Blake McLaughlin yet? Few clips I’ve seen of the kid show that he hs unreal quickness on his feet. His ability to sharply change direction and make plays with the puck were impressive.

Downside is he’s small weight-wise, but I feel like there’s a really good track record for kids who are ppg in the USHL in their draft year to become NHL players. I think I saw a mock with us taking him in the second round

Really like him for NYR's 2nd rounder. Think he can be a speedy and forechecking crazed forward that'll hound defenses for years. Don't think there's much upside for a top 6 role, but a middle 6 power grinder with an edge and playmaking is what I'd like with him with NYR's 2nd rounder.

Also, I did my research on Jay O'Brien. Think he's pretty interesting, but not with NYR's 2nd rounder. Maybe a 3rd or 4th, lot's of rawness to his game yet. But there are very good showings that I saw on his goal scoring potential in the NHL. I want to see what he does in his first year at Providence, though, but I wouldn't hate the pick if it's in the 3rd or later.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Was not really aware of this kid but everything looks good on paper. Agreed RE USHL production. Curious to learn more about this kid.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think Wahlstrom looked better against Sweden than Canada, it was the first game. Not sure how much they had played up towards the tournament. How hard they had worked physically to be at top shape at the back end of the tournament when it starts to matter.

Wahlstrom won’t really make your team better in the areas a team want to get better in in this league right now. But he can become a heck of a goal scorer.

I think it’s possible that either Boqvist or Wahlstrom are available at 6, but would be more surprised if either reached 7 or 8. Who knows.

In 2010 teams went all in on the centers, leaving a few defensemen (Gormley, Fowler) to drop below expected.

In theory, the best chance at Wahlstrom would be if teams went all in on defensemen.

Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson.

So Wahlstrom could theoretically be there at 9.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Really like him for NYR's 2nd rounder. Think he can be a speedy and forechecking crazed forward that'll hound defenses for years. Don't think there's much upside for a top 6 role, but a middle 6 power grinder with an edge and playmaking is what I'd like with him with NYR's 2nd rounder.

Also, I did my research on Jay O'Brien. Think he's pretty interesting, but not with NYR's 2nd rounder. Maybe a 3rd or 4th, lot's of rawness to his game yet. But there are very good showings that I saw on his goal scoring potential in the NHL. I want to see what he does in his first year at Providence, though, but I wouldn't hate the pick if it's in the 3rd or later.
Yeah, most mocks have McLaughlin ranked as a 2nd liner. I don't think O'Brien will be there past the late 2nd/early 3rd. Guess we'll see once the combine rolls around.

Cole Fonstad is another pick who looks intriguing in that range. PPG player for Prince Albert this year. I think I remember catching him make some good plays in the US-CAN game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In 2010 teams went all in on the centers, leaving a few defensemen (Gormley, Fowler) to drop below expected.

In theory, the best chance at Wahlstrom would be if teams went all in on defensemen.

Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson.

So Wahlstrom could theoretically be there at 9.

Yeah and you never know, before you know it some GM launches out and picks a kid that sticks out a lot and who they really think fits what they are trying to do. Like a Serron Noel could be a kid who is 25 on one list and a lot higher on others. The Yotes made a good pick with taking Wheeler 5th in 04’. Noel is a talented kid, but the league is different now. So much faster. Wheeler could grow into the speed. I wouldn’t put anything past a Benning lol. I wouldn’t fall off a chair if like Chicago think a Noel is a perfect fit with Torws and Kane. Does Vancouver want another top center to build around and gamble on like a Velano or Kotkaniemi? Some of the Ds could raise a lot. Q Hughes, Wilde. Dobson/Bouchard.

If a team had a clear ambition and really like a kid — a lot can happen. Both Boqvist and Wahlstrom have some issues, if the top 3-4 is set, we only need 3-4 GMs not liking what they see.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah, most mocks have McLaughlin ranked as a 2nd liner. I don't think O'Brien will be there past the late 2nd/early 3rd. Guess we'll see once the combine rolls around.

Cole Fonstad is another pick who looks intriguing in that range. PPG player for Prince Albert this year. I think I remember catching him make some good plays in the US-CAN game.

Fonstad is too one-dimensional for my liking. I think St. Croix with him, IMO, except Fonstad can take a hit.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I saw the US-Sweden game this morning and the US-Canada game on Thursday. Wahlstrom and Boqvist. The Rangers would be fortunate to select either player. Very fortunate.

I just watched the US Sweden game and came away with same impression. Wahlstrom has star potential and Boqvist does look like a young Karlsson constantly driving the play. I’ll gladly take either. Farabee should not be a top 10 pick. Nice player but that would be a stretch.

I also like big righty Patrick Giles who’s a projected mid second round pick. Would love to take him with that devils pick.

Last edited:

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

What do you mean? We have had a very serious trouble scoring in the playoffs ever since the cup final apperance. We definitely need a guy like him.

A player like Wahlstrom is the very definition of a difference maker. It’s not guaranteed, but we need to take a risk.

A scorer, even if he does not score, opens up ice and opportunities for others. We have only Kreider who can do that with his speed.

When games start to matter and the scoring chances are infrequent, it gets dicey whether we were able to score or not. The scoring by committee thing may show up one game and it would be glorious and then go silent for 3 games or an entire series so that a guy like Brian Boyle becomes our main scoring threat. And that was at a time we played a very offense-oriented system.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I love that Wahlstrom is a righty too. He’s got star power it’s very evident.

I’m leaning towards him if he’s there. Over a dman unless that dman is Boqvist. I think Wahlstrom would be a better pick than Bouchard or Dobson. And I don’t say that lightly because I’d love to have those two kids.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What do you mean? We have had a very serious trouble scoring in the playoffs ever since the cup final apperance. We definitely need a guy like him.

A player like Wahlstrom is the very definition of a difference maker. It’s not guaranteed, but we need to take a risk.

A scorer, even if he does not score, opens up ice and opportunities for others. We have only Kreider who can do that with his speed.

When games start to matter and the scoring chances are infrequent, it gets dicey whether we were able to score or not. The scoring by committee thing may show up one game and it would be glorious and then go silent for 3 games or an entire series so that a guy like Brian Boyle becomes our main scoring threat. And that was at a time we played a very offense-oriented system.

Yeah for sure.

What I meant was that everyone is trying to get faster and play that game where you take the puck to the net with speed and force havoc in the attacking zone, and then use that speed to pressure hard on the back check. Wahlstrom won’t help much with that at all. I think a Tkachuk is more useful even due to how he constantly is setting up screens etc.

OTOH, if he did we wouldn’t talk about him possibly falling to 7-8. He would probably be a lock to go second overall. His scoring ability is up there with those guys.

Reactions: Phoicon

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen

Every year you do this very valuable research into later round prospects and every year, as if by purpose the Rangers avoid picking these guys and go completely off the map with picks like Lakatos or Virta.

It seems like you find the normal 18-year old players with NHL potential and our scouting staff just wants to spice things up.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Anyone know much about Bulat Shafigulin? The guy has put up some really nice stats in the MHL and I haven't seen anywhere rank him.

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad