"Draft and Develop" or "All In": What's next for the Jets?

What main direction should the Jets take now to get to the level of a true contender?

• Total voters

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A Minny fan proposed a Samberg + 2021 2nd + earlier of our two 2022 3rds (likely conditional pick) for Dumba

See if Seattle will bite on 17th overall for 34th overall, or potentially a higher pick if they get a later 1st rounder through a trade to pick Beaulieau.

Roll into 21/22 with..

Morrissey - Dumba
Stanley - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo

Either spend in UFA on other options to give Pionk a potentially better partner, moving Stanley and Heinola down to splitting duties on the 3rd pair or try and go after one of the better middle 6 options in UFA like Coleman, Hyman, Wennberg, Goodrow or Armia. Or even both if possible.

Reactions: tbone1968

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think you might be right on this.

RHD targets? Dumba? Other?

Manson is aging and broken & wouldn’t waive.

Dumba is a Pionk type of D man, smaller but can hit and is better offensively then defensively but is solid. I would be ok with him, just his contract is a big problem.

LHD Dunn?

Morgan Rielly LHD (would be likely more expensive then we can afford cap wise once he gets a new deal)?

I think there will be some surprises done by GM’s b/c of cap issues and XD…..I suspect Chevy will be patient and be looking for a good deal……not a maximum payment type of deal.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see Connor Murphy on the blueline next year if the price wasn't too much.
Armia would be really nice but probably cost too much...unless Copper is traded.

Reactions: kanadalainen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i wonder if they try for Sverson in Jersey for a Heinola based package. I guess it depends on where Jersey believes they are at in their rebuild.

Reactions: trebendan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Manson is aging and broken & wouldn’t waive.

Dumba is a Pionk type of D man, smaller but can hit and is better offensively then defensively but is solid. I would be ok with him, just his contract is a big problem.

LHD Dunn?

Morgan Rielly LHD (would be likely more expensive then we can afford cap wise once he gets a new deal)?

I think there will be some surprises done by GM’s b/c of cap issues and XD…..I suspect Chevy will be patient and be looking for a good deal……not a maximum payment type of deal.
I like Dunn. He might be a good "buy low" option if the Jets move one of their young LHD.

I think Dumba would add some offense and a bit of bite to the top-4 D. Another 2 years at $6M is fine.

I wonder what's up with McCabe? If his injury isn't a concern, he might be a very effective partner for Pionk.

I agree that the current cap / financial situation is going to result in some unexpected opportunities in free agency and on the trade market.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like Dunn. He might be a good "buy low" option if the Jets move one of their young LHD.

I think Dumba would add some offense and a bit of bite to the top-4 D. Another 2 years at $6M is fine.

I wonder what's up with McCabe? If his injury isn't a concern, he might be a very effective partner for Pionk.

I agree that the current cap / financial situation is going to result in some unexpected opportunities in free agency and on the trade market.

Pretty good chance that Seattle takes Dunn.

McCabe I'd be good with as a 2nd pairing partner for Pionk, good physical shutdown type. I believe he has some ACL, MCL and meniscus issues in his knee based on a quick google search. The Sabres 18 game losing streak started right after McCabe was injured. If he's healthy he is definitely an option I wouldn't mind pursuing in FA.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Listened to this too. Ken seems to be the most plugged-in guy in Jets media, so I put a lot of stock in what he said.

The "Wiebe" roster:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Dubois-Copp
Armia-Lowry-Appleton
Ves-Gus-Lewis (or 2021 equivalent)

Morrissey-DeMelo
Oleksiak-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

I'll take Big Stan on D over Pooman all day long!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Who would be better McCabe or Oleksiak?
I'd like either of them. If McCabe is fully healthy, then I think I might go for him based on lower contract cost. He could be a real steal, if healthy.

But I think Oleksiak might be a really good D partner for Pionk. You'd think that Dallas would want to move him prior to the expansion draft, if they are going to move him. That's unless they already have confidence that they can re-sign him as a UFA after the expansion draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally I like Oleksiak but not sure he would be available
He's a UFA. I doubt that Dallas would be able to sign and protect him before the expansion draft. I would think that the Kraken would make an effort to sign him as a UFA, and if not, then a number of teams would be interested, including the Jets. But if Oleksiak really wants to re-sign in Dallas, then they don't need to protect him, they can just wait until after the draft and re-sign him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's a UFA. I doubt that Dallas would be able to sign and protect him before the expansion draft. I would think that the Kraken would make an effort to sign him as a UFA, and if not, then a number of teams would be interested, including the Jets. But if Oleksiak really wants to re-sign in Dallas, then they don't need to protect him, they can just wait until after the draft and re-sign him.

I think it depends on how he views things. He'll pay less taxes in Dallas, and his partner is pretty much guaranteed to be Heiskanen. Dallas still has a decent team albeit they are aging but still guys like Oettinger, Robertson, Dellandrea and Harley likely getting increasing roles next year. They have a good team there despite some of the their pieces aging. Oleksiak might already have a handshake extension signed there. He wouldn't have much of a bigger role in Winnipeg and they seemed really reluctant to deal him to us at the deadline.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it depends on how he views things. He'll pay less taxes in Dallas, and his partner is pretty much guaranteed to be Heiskanen. Dallas still has a decent team albeit they are aging but still guys like Oettinger, Robertson, Dellandrea and Harley likely getting increasing roles next year. They have a good team there despite some of the their pieces aging. Oleksiak might already have a handshake extension signed there. He wouldn't have much of a bigger role in Winnipeg and they seemed really reluctant to deal him to us at the deadline.
I think Oleksiak was likely a target for the Jets at the TDL. The fact that they couldn't get the deal done suggests to me that Dallas is motivated to keep Oleksiak, which means that they think they can re-sign him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A Minny fan proposed a Samberg + 2021 2nd + earlier of our two 2022 3rds (likely conditional pick) for Dumba

See if Seattle will bite on 17th overall for 34th overall, or potentially a higher pick if they get a later 1st rounder through a trade to pick Beaulieau.

Roll into 21/22 with..

Morrissey - Dumba
Stanley - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo

Either spend in UFA on other options to give Pionk a potentially better partner, moving Stanley and Heinola down to splitting duties on the 3rd pair or try and go after one of the better middle 6 options in UFA like Coleman, Hyman, Wennberg, Goodrow or Armia. Or even both if possible.
That essentially ends up being
Samberg + 1st (17OA) + 2nd + 3rd + Beaulieau
For
Dumba + 2nd

That's pricey. I wonder if Seattle would consider drafting dumba and flipping him to us for copp + a 2nd. We'd also lose one of Stanley, apples or Berdin

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That essentially ends up being
Samberg + 1st (17OA) + 2nd + 3rd + Beaulieau
For
Dumba + 2nd

That's pricey. I wonder if Seattle would consider drafting dumba and flipping him to us for copp + a 2nd. We'd also lose one of Stanley, apples or Berdin

I think it's more likely Minny trades Dumba than loses him for nothing. Also keep in mind we keep DeMelo in that instance so in a weird round about way it's more like.

Samberg + 17th OA + 49th OA + 2023 3rd + Beaulieau
for
Dumba + DeMelo + 34th OA

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wild fans on their board are suggesting just the 17th OA for Dumba from the Jets

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
What a good deal that would be, 17th to upgrade melo to Dumba. Not to mention it would mean keeping Copp and Appleton for the forward corps next season.

If Lambos and Ceuleman are gone, I think I do that. While Dumba isn’t “exactly” what we need, he is still an upgrade and does balance the lines better than what we have.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not interested in moving Samberg or bringing in LHD.
I’ll trade Heinola in a package for a top 2/4 RHD and that’s it.

If we lose Apples to Seattle and Copp prices himself out of Winnipeg, then Armia might be a good fit, depending on his contract ask.

That “Weibe Roster” has the same crappy RD we have now… so it really fixes nothing and spends assets for players we don’t need…Oleksiak

Reactions: Whileee

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Roll into 21/22 with..

Morrissey - Dumba
Stanley - Pionk
Heinola - DeMelo

That's interesting trades, but has liquidated the defensive depth. Kovacevic might be the first RH callup. But who gets the call on the left side. Niku? Bring back Benn? Having not watched enough Moose, does anyone think Chisholm could be better than Samberg? Would he be ready to make the jump in his 2nd season?

If we acquired Dumba, would Seattle want just a 1st to take a player that is probably worth a 7th in trade value? That's not good asset management when you could just take 4 years of Stanley, who is already developed. I don't think Seattle will be as aggressively build to win immediately, as they can take some time with their fan base, before the lustre of losing wears off, so I could see them stockpiling picks for years to come.

Copp re-signed is a definite top 6 player for an expansion team, and maybe a captain, so that's the way I'd be leading them, and keep developing the horses on defense, because we need them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad