downie at home cooling his heels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Alter Haudegen said:
That wouldn't be the same team that had three leading employees at the scene who just stood around and did nothing while two kids in their care tried to bash each others heads in? Not once but twice. :shakehead
Yep, its the same team. And I dont condone their actions either.
After the crosscheck to the face , Downie should have been out of there. I suspect this whole incident may have been not even dealt with if the press hadn't got ahold of it.

Sammy*

Mallard said:
I think Aliu is the baby here. Hey Aliu, why don't you get your dad to fight more of your battles for you. Suck it up, rook.
He did suck it up by all accounts & beat the crap out of the idiot.
I take it you condone crosschecks to the face & other idiotic behaviour that the idiot appears to have done?

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
Cute Lou, compare the kid to a guy that put a hit out on someone. That's pretty low.

Just for the record, when I look at Downie and see some of the stupid things he does I think of the same thing.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Sammy said:
He did suck it up by all accounts & beat the crap out of the idiot.
I take it you condone crosschecks to the face & other idiotic behaviour that the idiot appears to have done?
It's a free country, Bertuzzi fans are allowed to have their opinions too.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Gags1288 said:
It's really bad that people continue to say that because it's simply untrue. Downie's teammate as well as a reporter who watched the film both said that Downie cross checked his teammate in the chest. Aliu lost 2 teeth in the first fight and then came back out without shoulder pads/tie down and won the next fight against Downie, likely because of this advantage. There is also spectulation that Aliu commented about having a father and Downie not. Steve is really taking a beating here, I just wish people would take the time to check some of the facts before making judgements about him.
Well it is clear from your post you have arrived at your judgement through possibilities, likelihoods and speculation.

mississauga jim

Aug 2, 2005
Years ago my son played for the North Bay Centennials and an incident occured that poeple still talk about. The team had lost 7-1 on a Saturday night to the Barrie Colts and the coach was not happy with the result even though the goalie played poorly. Regardless, when the team got off the bus, the coach said to the boys "I'll see you at 6:00a.m. for practice." The coach then proceeded to hold four on-ice sessions and 3 off-ice sessions for a total of 12 hours of exercise. The coach said to the players;" You can choose to leave but, if you do don't come back." What's a hockey player to do? As a parent I was not shocked just pissed at the coach and vowed to never talk with this coach or acknowledge his presence. Ironically he was an assistant coach on the Canadian World Junior Team and two years later was the head coach of the Canadian Under 18 team that won a gold in Russia. As a result of this incident I lecture parents about the OHL and the many pitfalls that may happen. I did speak with the dad of the boy who lost his teeth in Windsor and explainded the lay of the land in the OHL. Live and learn sir. I warned this dad and countless others about the many "unwritten rules of junior hockey." As a Parent I knew better and I think in the long run that my son who is now in the pro ranks is a hardend person because of his experiences in junior hockey. Is it right or is it " just the way it is?"

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
mississauga jim said:
Years ago my son played for the North Bay Centennials and an incident occured that poeple still talk about. The team had lost 7-1 on a Saturday night to the Barrie Colts and the coach was not happy with the result even though the goalie played poorly. Regardless, when the team got off the bus, the coach said to the boys "I'll see you at 6:00a.m. for practice." The coach then proceeded to hold four on-ice sessions and 3 off-ice sessions for a total of 12 hours of exercise. The coach said to the players;" You can choose to leave but, if you do don't come back." What's a hockey player to do? As a parent I was not shocked just pissed at the coach and vowed to never talk with this coach or acknowledge his presence. Ironically he was an assistant coach on the Canadian World Junior Team and two years later was the head coach of the Canadian Under 18 team that won a gold in Russia. As a result of this incident I lecture parents about the OHL and the many pitfalls that may happen. I did speak with the dad of the boy who lost his teeth in Windsor and explainded the lay of the land in the OHL. Live and learn sir. I warned this dad and countless others about the many "unwritten rules of junior hockey." As a Parent I knew better and I think in the long run that my son who is now in the pro ranks is a hardend person because of his experiences in junior hockey. Is it right or is it " just the way it is?"

punishment by conditioning = character building! :yo:

as for any parent that has a kid in competitive hockey and hasn't done ANY and ALL research about the league and its good and bad issues, is not parenting well.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hoss said:
Well it is clear from your post you have arrived at your judgement through possibilities, likelihoods and speculation.
I presented an alternative reason and I did not state it as a fact, simply as speculation. On the other hand, the poster I was responding to stated that Downey cross checked Aliu in the face (offering this as a fact) when their are differing opinions from people in the know of what actually happened.

Again, I am in no way saying Downey isn't at fault here. But again i'll reiterate that I'm not sure he's entirely at fault.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Gags1288 said:
I presented an alternative reason and I did not state it as a fact, simply as speculation. On the other hand, the poster I was responding to stated that Downey cross checked Aliu in the face (offering this as a fact) when their are differing opinions from people in the know of what actually happened.

Again, I am in no way saying Downey isn't at fault here. But again i'll reiterate that I'm not sure he's entirely at fault.
Fair enough.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
I just wonder if this incident makes him a more or less desirable prospect in Bobby Clarke's eyes??? :D

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boondock Saint said:
I just wonder if this incident makes him a more or less desirable prospect in Bobby Clarke's eyes??? :D
In Bob's mind? I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem with Downie trying to get a young hot shot like Aliu to practice harder and probably wouldn't have a problem with the fights. But i'm sure Bobby's not too happy about Downie demanding a trade.

Sammy*

Gags1288 said:
In Bob's mind? I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem with Downie trying to get a young hot shot like Aliu to practice harder and probably wouldn't have a problem with the fights. But i'm sure Bobby's not too happy about Downie demanding a trade.
Yeah, but I wonder how Bobby likes his wunderkind crosschecking guys in the face & then getting beat on as a result.

Transported Upstater

Mallard said:
I think Aliu is the baby here. Hey Aliu, why don't you get your dad to fight more of your battles for you. Suck it up, rook.

:dunno: :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad