Not open for further replies.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
Downie's career with Spitfires over
Suspended star asks for trade Owner refuses

to deal veteran

SUNAYA SAPURJI
SPORTS REPORTER

The hat trick Steve Downie scored for Windsor in his first game this year will be his last contribution to the Spitfires.

The third-year veteran has requested a trade after the Spitfires handed down their punishment yesterday as a result of two run-ins he had with rookie Akim Aliu in practice last week.

"Steve is no longer a Windsor Spitfire," said Downie's agent, Darren Ferris.

"(Windsor owner Steve Riolo) has told us he will not trade him, so he is prepared to sit out the entire year."

:yo:
Well I wonder what will happen now.. Does anyone see a trade or will Downie have to cool his heels all season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I've only read about this Downie chap, but he sounds like a savage. Is he as bad as they all say he is?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
typical agent comment "the team is responsible".

no....the guy who crosschecked his teammate in the mouth is responsible.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Wild GM said:
typical agent comment "the team is responsible".

no....the guy who crosschecked his teammate in the mouth is responsible.
It's really bad that people continue to say that because it's simply untrue. Downie's teammate as well as a reporter who watched the film both said that Downie cross checked his teammate in the chest. Aliu lost 2 teeth in the first fight and then came back out without shoulder pads/tie down and won the next fight against Downie, likely because of this advantage. There is also spectulation that Aliu commented about having a father and Downie not. Steve is really taking a beating here, I just wish people would take the time to check some of the facts before making judgements about him.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
skerbud said:
An investigation by the Spitfires concluded that Downie cross-checked Aliu in the mouth, chipping two teeth, during a team practice last Wednesday. After that incident, Aliu went off the ice, only to return later to fight with Downie.

I wasn't there....the people who were there say he cross-checked him in the face.

Why would the team lie in order to frame a 1st round NHL pick?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Gags1288 said:
There is also spectulation that Aliu commented about having a father and Downie not. Steve is really taking a beating here, I just wish people would take the time to check some of the facts before making judgements about him.

There is also speculation the Steve made racial comments to Aliu and that the hazing of the younger guys was out of hand.

But we don't know.

All we know is his own team says he cross-checked Aliu in the mouth.

That's enough for me.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Gags1288 said:
It's really bad that people continue to say that because it's simply untrue. Downie's teammate as well as a reporter who watched the film both said that Downie cross checked his teammate in the chest. Aliu lost 2 teeth in the first fight and then came back out without shoulder pads/tie down and won the next fight against Downie, likely because of this advantage. There is also spectulation that Aliu commented about having a father and Downie not. Steve is really taking a beating here, I just wish people would take the time to check some of the facts before making judgements about him.

There is video showing the incident.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
sec17 said:
There is video showing the incident.
Honestly, If you have seen the video than I have no choice but to believe you. However, I do know that a spitfire teammate as well as a very respected reporter both said that Downey did not cross check Aliu in the face, he crosschecked in the chest.

I don't want to sound like a Downey apologist, because there is no doubt that he is at fault here. I'm just not sure that he is entirely at fault or that this is as bad as people make it out to be.

That being said, Downey requesting a trade and refusing to play for the Spits certainly makes this whole ordeal quite a bit worse.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I thought the video only showed the fight afterwards?

Is there video of the cross-check happening?

If I were the Spitfires I would suspend both players indefinately until they were ready to be men and appologize and forgive eachother.

Roger's Pancreas*

Lou is God said:
This kid sounds like he's got a little Mike Danton in him.

Cute Lou, compare the kid to a guy that put a hit out on someone. That's pretty low.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Panasonic Youth said:
Cute Lou, compare the kid to a guy that put a hit out on someone. That's pretty low.
Oh com'on man, I'm not even looking at it that way, his actions of bolting the club strike me the way Danton overreacted when he bolted the Devils, neither move was good for their careers and was in bad judgement because they can't seem to control their anger and emotions, hence the statement "he has a little Mike Danton in him".

Roger's Pancreas*

Lou is God said:
Oh com'on man, I'm not even looking at it that way, his actions of bolting the club strike me the way Danton overreacted when he bolted the Devils, neither move was good for their careers and was in bad judgement because they can't seem to control their anger and emotions, hence the statement "he has a little Mike Danton in him".

Fair enough but when a person has a smear on their record like Danton does the first thing that comes to mind is that.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Panasonic Youth said:
Fair enough but when a person has a smear on their record like Danton does the first thing that comes to mind is that.

No your right, I should have explained what I meant by that, by the other night I read the Hockey News evaluation of him which was this:

A tornado on the ice, Downie is a classic energy player who likes to hit. Scouts call him "gritty" and "nasty" and some have even labelled him "a rat" but he helps teams win and that's all that counts.

And the first person I thought of when I read this was it sounds alot like Mike Danton on the ice, because this evaluation could easy be used to describe Danton also, and then I saw this today, him leaving the team the way he did, I was just struck by the irony of it all.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
if

Panasonic Youth said:

Danton's first and only actions were to put out a hit on someone then your comment would have merit, but Danton's history is littered with odd behavior that starts small (like this) and can possibly escalate as it did with Danton.

the comparison is a fair one.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So...who's worse. Steve Downie or Daniel Carcillo?

Granted Carcillo never did anything to his own teammates, he did smack two guys in the head with his stick last year.

I have to admit, I really want both to stick with their parent teams. Seeing the Penguins-Flyers with those two involved could incite a player rivalry that would be unmatched physically.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Tjardus Greidanus said:
So...who's worse. Steve Downie or Daniel Carcillo?

Granted Carcillo never did anything to his own teammates, he did smack two guys in the head with his stick last year.

I have to admit, I really want both to stick with their parent teams. Seeing the Penguins-Flyers with those two involved could incite a player rivalry that would be unmatched physically.
Good question.... on one hand, Carcillo didn't go after a teammate, on the other hand, Downie hasn't pretended his stick was a baseball bat.....

If I were forced to choose one or the other, I'd take Downie - Carcillo spent time with several teams, all of whom thought his offensive talent would overshadow the downside - and found out they were wrong. It's possible that Downie is a "Carcillo in training" but I'd love to see what he can do with a tough coach before I label him.

Sammy*

Gags1288 said:
The team itself said it was a crosscheck.
Why are you defending this clown?
edit. The answer is obvious.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Sammy said:
Why are you defending this clown?
edit. The answer is obvious.

He is quoting a teammate and a reporter. There is nothing wrong in defending someone, when two sources say the scene wasn't as bad as reported earlier.

You weren't there and as a matter of fact don't really know what happened. So how do you know that the one side is right, when the other side has good sources as well?
It's not like one reporter or some press release from a team is the ultimate truth, while another reporter and a teammate, who has actually seen it, are lyers whose goal it is to destroy the career of Aliu.

If Aliu would have been completely innocent, he wouldn't have been suspended by his team as well.

Aliu has already accepted an apology and wants Downie to return to the team, so is it really unrealistic that "maybe" the incident wasn't as bad as some other reporters want you to believe?

No need to put someone down, just because he might not believe everything that was written by one source...

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Sammy said:

That wouldn't be the same team that had three leading employees at the scene who just stood around and did nothing while two kids in their care tried to bash each others heads in? Not once but twice. :shakehead

Sammy*

Sanderson said:
He is quoting a teammate and a reporter. There is nothing wrong in defending someone, when two sources say the scene wasn't as bad as reported earlier.

You weren't there and as a matter of fact don't really know what happened. So how do you know that the one side is right, when the other side has good sources as well?
It's not like one reporter or some press release from a team is the ultimate truth, while another reporter and a teammate, who has actually seen it, are lyers whose goal it is to destroy the career of Aliu.

If Aliu would have been completely innocent, he wouldn't have been suspended by his team as well.

Aliu has already accepted an apology and wants Downie to return to the team, so is it really unrealistic that "maybe" the incident wasn't as bad as some other reporters want you to believe?

No need to put someone down, just because he might not believe everything that was written by one source...
It was one source, not two (a reporter is not a source).
And other than the one source, everything I have read about Downie & this incident suggests :
a) he's an a-hole
b) the incident is as bad as reported

You can choose to believe whatever you want. I really could care less.Its just kinda amusing that virtually without exception, the only ones making excuses for the idiots actions, or minimizing or explaning away the idiots actions are some Flyer fans or Spitfire fans.
Kinda like the Bertuzzi fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad