Prospect Info: Down On The Farm (Ads and Glads)

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Old thread well over 2000 posts. With the AHL season over, the new ECHL affiliation announced and the Draft right around the corner, thought it would be a good time for a fresh thread

@AtlantaWhaler please sticky and transfer last post of old thread whenever you have a chance.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Old thread well over 2000 posts. With the AHL season over, the new ECHL affiliation announced and the Draft right around the corner, thought it would be a good time for a fresh thread

@AtlantaWhaler please sticky and transfer last post of old thread whenever you have a chance.
What do people think about a thread for Ads and Glads then a separate one for prospects in juniors, college, and Europe?

The Admiral talk kind of overshadowed the younger prospects and the talk about them got lost in the clutter last season. I expect that to be even worse this year with the glut of top prospects that will be playing in Milwaukee this coming season.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
What do people think about a thread for Ads and Glads then a separate one for prospects in juniors, college, and Europe?

The Admiral talk kind of overshadowed the younger prospects and the talk about them got lost in the clutter last season. I expect that to be even worse this year with the glut of top prospects that will be playing in Milwaukee this coming season.
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Ads/Glads thread is now "Down On The Farm" and there is a separate thread for all other prospects

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I sure hope they can corral Karl Taylor for another year in Milwaukee.
I think the problem is that Taylor now knows he's probably a minimum of 3 years away from a shot at Preds HC. The unknown is whether he wants to jump from AHL head coach to NHL assistant or not. If that's what he wants, he's likely going to get an offer from someone.

Calgary already hired an AHL coach as their new head coach. I'm not sure that any of the other teams with coaching vacancies would do that, and even if they did I'm not sure Taylor, as much as we love him, would be the frontrunner to make that jump.

So if he and his family are happy in Milwaukee, I suspect he will stay. But if he's itching for an NHL assistant job, he's probably gone

Reactions: nullednumbed

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Taylor might not have quite the network that some guys do to land an NHL job elsewhere. I still have never heard his name mentioned by anybody outside of our little group. (Yes - a bunch of fans on the internet, all grains of salt appropriately applied.) So I'm optimistic that even if he wants an NHL job, that door might not be open for him at this point. Most teams already have their staff filled.

Do we? I have seen no mention of a replacement for Lambert yet? Anybody?

I think that's the one main risk factor. We may yet bring him up to replace Lambert. I think there's much less chance another team grabs him. So maybe that's where his real choice is.
:dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Ads/Glads thread is now "Down On The Farm" and there is a separate thread for all other prospects
This might be the first time in the history of the team that there was a reason for two separate threads about prospects.

I think the problem is that Taylor now knows he's probably a minimum of 3 years away from a shot at Preds HC. The unknown is whether he wants to jump from AHL head coach to NHL assistant or not. If that's what he wants, he's likely going to get an offer from someone.

Calgary already hired an AHL coach as their new head coach. I'm not sure that any of the other teams with coaching vacancies would do that, and even if they did I'm not sure Taylor, as much as we love him, would be the frontrunner to make that jump.

So if he and his family are happy in Milwaukee, I suspect he will stay. But if he's itching for an NHL assistant job, he's probably gone

Taylor might not have quite the network that some guys do to land an NHL job elsewhere. I still have never heard his name mentioned by anybody outside of our little group. (Yes - a bunch of fans on the internet, all grains of salt appropriately applied.) So I'm optimistic that even if he wants an NHL job, that door might not be open for him at this point. Most teams already have their staff filled.

Do we? I have seen no mention of a replacement for Lambert yet? Anybody?

I think that's the one main risk factor. We may yet bring him up to replace Lambert. I think there's much less chance another team grabs him. So maybe that's where his real choice is.
We've been floating the idea of paying the man a NHL type salary to keep him happy in Milwaukee since last summer so maybe that's what Trotz has talked to him about.

What is his contract status anyway?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We've been floating the idea of paying the man a NHL type salary to keep him happy in Milwaukee since last summer so maybe that's what Trotz has talked to him about.

What is his contract status anyway?
I don't know for sure his contract status... I seem to recall he (grudgingly?) opted to stay in Milwaukee last year kind of late in the game, when nothing else arose for him? :dunno:

So I assume he's a "free agent" right now anyway.

I would definitely offer him more $$$ to be HC in Milwaukee than to be the new Lambert in Nashville. I get that his career aspirations might overturn that. Nevertheless. Neither of those positions traditionally makes big money. I'm sure there are people in this group (we seem to have quite a lot of well-off types who can afford to be STHs) who make more than the typical AHL HC or NHL assistant.

They are getting like $100-300k-ish? To me, that whole range is PEANUTS compared to what we pay a single depth tweener hockey player. And yet, that coaching role is actually vastly more important. Having an AHL HC who is successfully developing our best prospects into NHL players is something that is worth far more, IMHO. If the average AHL head coach makes $150k, I would cheerfully pay Taylor $500k to stay and keep on doing what he has been doing with our prospects. That likely blows away any offer he'd get as an NHL assistant also?

I mean, if those numbers are off, just scale appropriately... to me, what he is doing with Milwaukee should be something that we go out of our way to make "worth his while". It's that important. That's not the place to "cut corners" IMO.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tend to agree, I'd do whatever I gotta do to keep him in Milwaukee. At a minimum I'd be giving him an NHL assistant Jon. Not a guy I want to see us lose.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I mean, the Preds have an amateur development staff that they sink a significant amount of money into, he's part of it. Raise his salary and give him a title within the preds organization to further his resume but also keep him as the HC of the Admirals. Much the way Scott Nichol is an Assistant GM with the Preds and GM for the Ads.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I mean, the Preds have an amateur development staff that they sink a significant amount of money into, he's part of it. Raise his salary and give him a title within the preds organization to further his resume but also keep him as the HC of the Admirals. Much the way Scott Nichol is an Assistant GM with the Preds and GM for the Ads.
I mean, yeah that's what would ideally happen. We just have no way of knowing how he took being interviewed for the HC spot but turned down, ie whether it soured him re: his future with the organization or not. And of course we don't know his preferred career path (ie stay AHL HC until NHL HC job is offered, or take an NHL assistant job as soon as its offered) and lastly of course how happy his family is in Milwaukee

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I mean, yeah that's what would ideally happen. We just have no way of knowing how he took being interviewed for the HC spot but turned down, ie whether it soured him re: his future with the organization or not. And of course we don't know his preferred career path (ie stay AHL HC until NHL HC job is offered, or take an NHL assistant job as soon as its offered) and lastly of course how happy his family is in Milwaukee
Of course we have no way of knowing any of that stuff, at least not without decent media. I'm just throwing ideas out to show that there are more ways to compensate him than just a high dollar contract, such as giving him some type of title at the NHL level to bolster his resume.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So is this good or bad?
:dunno: He was with the big Newport group before, right, so it's not like he's going small time-y guy to big group. He's going from one big group to Russia-guy's group. (Although Russia-guy is actually Ukranian). No way for us to know what triggered the move. They both are going to get him as much money as they can... so that they can take their slice.

suovas

Sep 7, 2022
What are the overall impressions of Wilsby after his first AHL season?
Did he adjust to north american big ice?
Where would you put him in Nashvilles overall d-men depth chart? 8-10th D? 11-13th D?
See any potential future for him in the NHL?

I see he particpated in 100% of the Admirals games, both regular season and playoffs. I was a little worried how he'd handle the north american style of hockey with less space/less time for decisions, and more physical fore-checking. But at least it appears he has managed to avoid getting injuries. Perhaps his situational awareness has helped him there.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What are the overall impressions of Wilsby after his first AHL season?
Did he adjust to north american big ice?
Where would you put him in Nashvilles overall d-men depth chart? 8-10th D? 11-13th D?
See any potential future for him in the NHL?

I see he particpated in 100% of the Admirals games, both regular season and playoffs. I was a little worried how he'd handle the north american style of hockey with less space/less time for decisions, and more physical fore-checking. But at least it appears he has managed to avoid getting injuries. Perhaps his situational awareness has helped him there.
I guess the depth chart question is a little tricky, since we employ 3 minor league veterans in Gross, Gravel, and McKeown on the farm team who all get callups ahead of "prospects" due to their experience. But if we set those 3 aside, even then Wilsby might be in the 11-13th range?

Josi-McDonagh-Barrie-Fabbro-Lauzon-Carrier are the starting 6.
7 (for now) = Foote
8 + 9 = Stastney + Livingstone
10 = Del Gaizo
11 = Wilsby
?

It sounded like he took another step in the AHL playoffs, and is still hanging in there as a viable NHL prospect, but things are getting crowded. I think it's clear Del Gaizo and Stastney are a bit ahead of him? And soon we'll have the next batch of prospects coming along? He'll have to be patient and take another step forward, maybe he won't want to wait around for that? :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm interested to see how the AHL and ECHL does in the next few years. If they can keep ticket prices in good shape they could see an upswing simply due to more blue collar people not really being able to afford an NHL game with all of the inflation pushing on people. I have a coworker that drives down to watch games in Huntsville all the time.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad