Line Combos: Down 2-1 Against LA, Time to Shuffle the Lines?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Been busy for today and missed everything on here.

I firmly believe in adversity building character and this team has bonded together because they know how much they’ve been f***ed over. Us against the world mentality. The whole world knows it (Other than the 6 LA fans on Twitter and that twat Fill Warrell…maybe make a good movie this century)

It’s f***ing go time for the Oil and they’ll dig deep here. Oil in 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I firmly believe in adversity building character and this team has bonded together because they know how much they’ve been f***ed over. Us against the world mentality. The whole world knows it (Other than the 6 LA fans on Twitter and that twat Fill Warrell…maybe make a good movie this century)

Given the cat avatar themes we'd been using Will Feral was the right term. Just saying.

Seems like Will Feral popularity has taken a real dump. ;)

Always thought he was a baked ham.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Will Ferrell has a few good movies such as Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, Anchorman etc but he hasn’t had a big hit in a while. His last decent movie was Daddy’s Home in 2015 which was carried by Mark Wahlberg. Dude is a bit past his prime in my opinion lol

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
They’ve played to win 3 games now. They have to play like kittens to avoid any calls against, this has been dictated by the officiating that has shown a separate set of rules apply. Maybe they win playing that way. I don’t know. Honestly I’m at the point where this league could fold tomorrow and I’d be excited to see what comes next. The NHL can go f*** itself forever
I support this post lol. While I’m excited to the watch the game, I simultaneously feel like this. What an odd mental state

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Load up McDrai when you have to. Even start the game with it if we think scoring the 1st goal is a necessity. But loading up that top line makes our bottom six susceptible to mismatches when Fiala returns. We need to use our depth efficiently.

IMO the bigger change needs to be in terms of D usage. I'd like to see Ekholm's minutes ramped up. Get rid of the 7th D and get another forward out there.

I think people are giving Yamamoto too much grief as well. He's been getting his fair share of very good looks. He's been positionally sound and he's had his motor running. Need to get the big three of Hyman, Nuge and Kane going.

Yams is getting a little too much grief, yes. But being stapled to Drai means you need to bury you chances when you get them. I think the correct spot for him is going from Kane and Drai in the top 6 to Kostin and Bjugstad on the 3rd line, where his energy and defensive awareness will be a far better fit. Especially with Janmark out.

For me what I would like:

Drai-McDavid*-Kane
McLeod*-RNH-Hyman

*Swap around McLeod and McDavid or Drai and RNH depending on the situation (if you want to spread out the talent or load up one line). Imo it should be somewhat fluid to keep the Kings off kilter. If I was feeling like a mad scientist, I'd be tempted to put Holloway with RNH and Hyman.

Kostin-Bjugstad-Yams
Foegele-Ryan

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really. He’s scapegoating Desharnais who is a rookie playing arguably the most difficult position in the game. Physical play is what kept him in the game for this long. It’s what got him called up to the NHL. And it’s what kept him in the lineup against all odds. Expecting him to back off from that now is wrong think. The coach should have had some words with him after his outburst the end in game 1. We have no evidence to say that that didn’t occur. My guess is that it did.

What would be more effective than a talking to from the coach would be if the leaders on the team led by example. But instead we get one of the undisputed leaders behaving like a spoiled little rec hockey brat. Draisaitl’s penalty in the last game (which cost the team the game tying goal and the momentum) is every bit the result of the refs knowing the kind of antics Draisaitl is prone to, and looking for him to repeat past behavior. Worse, it isn’t even in the heat of the play. Not in a scrum. Not retaliation. Not the result of a player trying to do too much (like Desharnais’ penalties have been). It’s a me first ego penalty that serves no function whatsoever taken by a veteran player who should and does know better.

Unfortunately the team needs Draisaitl on the ice so the coach can’t just ‘get this fool off the ice’, and Draisaitl knows that .. which actually makes his selfish play even worse. He’s untouchable on this roster. I guess he thinks that means he can just go out and cost the team games whenever he feels like it. Terrible example to set for the rookies, and more than likely a factor in the kind of undisciplined play we have seen from a guy like Desharnais in this series so far.
I completely agree.
Draisaitl has made some stupid/selfish decisions for sure and he is a vet...a leader. Like you saod he has to set an example.

I also think that there is a extra level of scrutiny directed at the Oilers as a team as well.
So if Desharnais (Kane or Drai or any other Oiler player) gives a couple of shots after the whistle he is likely to be the one given the penalty.
Its completely unfair but it is what it is.
The Oilers as a team has to adjust and Draisaitl has to lead the way.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I completely agree.
Drivesaitl has made some stupid/selfish decisions for sure and he is a vet...a leader. Like you saod he has to set an example.

I also think that there is a extra level of scrutiny directed at the Oilers as a team as well.
So if Desharnais (Kane or Drai or any other Oiler player) gives a couple of shots after the whistle he is likely to be the one given the penalty.
Its completely unfair but it is what it is.
The Oilers as a team has to adjust and Draisaitl has to lead the way.
What do you mean?

Way to ring my dinner bell and theres no kibbles..

;)

jk aside I put blame squarely on Drai because he's a leader of the team. He can't fall into the lacking discipline and modeling that. Not scapegoating Desharnais. I liked him very much in regular season. Trouble with playoffs is it impacts hotheads differently in that you play the same team every night and you can boil over. Regular season is not structured that way and animosity is not grown through ongoing play against same team.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Please God don’t let Woody outthink himself yet again. Have him stay with the lines that got us 5 goals and dominated and not the lines that got scored on 4 times and was caved in.

Kane McDavid Drai
RNH Bjugstad Hyman
Foegele McLoed Yamo
Kostin Ryan

Or better yet

Kane McDavid Drai
RNH Bjugstad Hyman
Kostin McLoed Foegele
Holloway Shore Ryan

Sit Yamo. He’s been our worst forward.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad