Line Combos: Down 2-1 Against LA, Time to Shuffle the Lines?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is what I'd be looking at:

Kane-McDavid-Bjugstad
Hyman-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kostin-RNH-Ryan
Shore-McLeod-Yamamoto

Line 1: Time to play Bjugstad with Connor, he brings size, defensive awareness, another faceoff guy and someone that can make a smart little play. I mentioned in another thread that we might want to purposely ice the puck every now and then if they are stacking the neutral zone to try and open some space on the transition. Bjugstad's faceoff and defensive prowess helps in this regard.

Line 2: Yamamoto doesn't work in the top 6 and Hyman hasn't worked with Connor. Tell Drai's wingers to crash the net and cycle the puck so that we can get some sustained pressure and maybe a few gritty goals unless Drai makes a spectacular play or 2 to create offense.

Line 3: RNH hasn't been all that great as a winger in this series,, but he should be able to do very well against lesser competition. Ryan thinks the game like Nuge and Kostin adds size and puck retrieval to the line.

Line 4: Not expecting much from this line, but Shore was playing well before finding himself a HS.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Definitely like your line changes.

Its kill or be killed time now on the ice.

Waiting to change the lines after going down 3 to 1 will be too little too late but I get the scary feeling that the changes won't happen..

Definitely like your line changes.

Its kill or be killed time now on the ice.

Waiting to change the lines after going down 3 to 1 will be too little too late but I get the scary feeling that the change won't happen..

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I honestly think putting Drai with mcdavid is the move. I'm probably in the minority but those two together are unstoppable. It's just sad what happens to depth if that adjustment is made but we're in better shape down the chart than we were last year.

Completely agree, at least put them out there on the double shift a few times a period. It's the most dangerous weapon in the league and it's not being used.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I honestly think putting Drai with mcdavid is the move. I'm probably in the minority but those two together are unstoppable. It's just sad what happens to depth if that adjustment is made but we're in better shape down the chart than we were last year.
Still going to be tough to get through the 1-3-1 and then we have no secondary offense and Nuge will have to saw off against either Kopitar or Danault.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I dont mind bringing in Shore. At the very least someone else to try on this PK

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is what I'd be looking at:

Kane-McDavid-Bjugstad
Hyman-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kostin-RNH-Ryan
Shore-McLeod-Yamamoto

Line 1: Time to play Bjugstad with Connor, he brings size, defensive awareness, another faceoff guy and someone that can make a smart little play. I mentioned in another thread that we might want to purposely ice the puck every now and then if they are stacking the neutral zone to try and open some space on the transition. Bjugstad's faceoff and defensive prowess helps in this regard.

Line 2: Yamamoto doesn't work in the top 6 and Hyman hasn't worked with Connor. Tell Drai's wingers to crash the net and cycle the puck so that we can get some sustained pressure and maybe a few gritty goals unless Drai makes a spectacular play or 2 to create offense.

Line 3: RNH hasn't been all that great as a winger in this series,, but he should be able to do very well against lesser competition. Ryan thinks the game like Nuge and Kostin adds size and puck retrieval to the line.

Line 4: Not expecting much from this line, but Shore was playing well before finding himself a HS.
I would switch Kane with Kostin and Hyman with Yamamoto.
Kane has been nothing but an anchor defensively and offensively. Same with Hyman.
Both players should be playing lower down in the lineup especially when you consider that Woody likes to go with one of the top 2 lines in the last minute of a period.
Getting those 2 players and their defensive ineptness away from the last minute of a period would help this team a lot seeing as the Kings have scored many of their goals during that time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Woody needs to make major changes. He’s playing right into TMacs strategy and despite our favourable shot share it’s not translating to goals which is all that matters.

Time to load up. Recall Holloway. Play the top line every 3rd shift, equal ice time to the other 3 lines. Run 12-6 as Broberg is not getting meaningful ice time anyway.

Kane - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hyman - RNH - Yamo
Holloway - Bjugstad - Kostin
Foegele - McLoed - Ryan

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Woody needs to make major changes. He’s playing right into TMacs strategy and despite our favourable shot share it’s not translating to goals which is all that matters.

Time to load up. Recall Holloway. Play the top line every 3rd shift, equal ice time to the other 3 lines. Run 12-6 as Broberg is not getting meaningful ice time anyway.

Hyman - RNH - Yamo
Foegele - McLoed - Ryan

I think this is the way and honestly it doesn't even look bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Count me in for the McDrai reunion. The amount of grade A chances missed by Yam alone could have been the difference in both our games lost.
Yams would probably start as the 3rd plyer on that line! :lol:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Hyman - RNH - Yamo
Foegele - McLoed - Ryan
I really don’t think woodcroft is being outcoached. McClellan is doing nothing special, he’s just riding a goalie who’s got a league high 4.6 goals saved above expected at 5v5.

I agree there should be changes though.

Yams would probably start as the 3rd plyer on that line! :lol:
I’d hope Woody would be smart enough to put someone who can more reliably drive the net there over Yam, like Hyman.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I’d play Holloway over Broberg I guess. If you load up McDrai I’d like to see a player like Kostin up with them to make the 2nd and 3rd lines a bit deeper.

Kostin McDavid Drai
Kane RNH Hyman
McLeod Bjugstad Foegele
Holloway Ryan Yamamoto

Bjugstad could also move up with McDrai and have a 3rd line of. Foegele McLeod Kostin

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I really don’t think woodcroft is being outcoached. McClellan is doing nothing special, he’s just riding a goalie who’s got a league high 4.6 goals saved above expected at 5v5.

I agree there should be changes though.

I’d hope Woody would be smart enough to put someone who can more reliably drive the net there over Yam, like Hyman.

He’s playing right into the matchups TMac wants and he’s yet to make meaningful adjustments. Goaltending has been a factor certainly but Woody needs to throw a different look at LA.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You don't just throw your hands up and fold like a cheap tent. Regardless on if we are getting screwed or not you play to win.

They’ve played to win 3 games now. They have to play like kittens to avoid any calls against, this has been dictated by the officiating that has shown a separate set of rules apply. Maybe they win playing that way. I don’t know. Honestly I’m at the point where this league could fold tomorrow and I’d be excited to see what comes next. The NHL can go f*** itself forever

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They’ve played to win 3 games now. They have to play like kittens to avoid any calls against, this has been dictated by the officiating that has shown a separate set of rules apply. Maybe they win playing that way. I don’t know. Honestly I’m at the point where this league could fold tomorrow and I’d be excited to see what comes next. The NHL can go f*** itself forever
No stupid penalties first and foremost. Tell the players that if they take a softie they will sit no matter who it is. Keep doing what we've been doing otherwise except get more in Korpisalo's grill.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
He’s playing right into the matchups TMac wants and he’s yet to make meaningful adjustments. Goaltending has been a factor certainly but Woody needs to throw a different look at LA.
I’m not sure I agree honestly. While I do agree we should change it up, I think Tmacs line matching may have been successful so far at slowing down Mcdavid, but it’s also part of why Drai is currently tied for the league lead in 5v5 points, despite the oilers leading the league in time spent short handed per game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No stupid penalties first and foremost. Tell the players that if they take a softie they will sit no matter who it is. Keep doing what we've been doing otherwise except get more in Korpisalo's grill.

The problem is they’re going to call the other penalties and are not calling anything outside of egregious ones for LA (and basically ignoring half of those as well, ex: Shitler and his knee). They should get in Korpse’s grill, even though they will definitely get called for GI with this butter soft biased shit league

Reactions: Yablo21

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The problem is they’re going to call the other penalties and are not calling anything outside of egregious ones for LA (and basically ignoring half of those as well, ex: Shitler and his knee). They should get in Korpse’s grill, even though they will definitely get called for GI with this butter soft biased shit league
I'll take a penalty for bumping into their goalie to get in his head over some of the soft horeshit calls and dumb penalties that have gone against us.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Load up McDrai when you have to. Even start the game with it if we think scoring the 1st goal is a necessity. But loading up that top line makes our bottom six susceptible to mismatches when Fiala returns. We need to use our depth efficiently.

IMO the bigger change needs to be in terms of D usage. I'd like to see Ekholm's minutes ramped up. Get rid of the 7th D and get another forward out there.

I think people are giving Yamamoto too much grief as well. He's been getting his fair share of very good looks. He's been positionally sound and he's had his motor running. Need to get the big three of Hyman, Nuge and Kane going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad