Dougie Hamilton - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Seid is awful by these numbers. He literally makes almost everyone he plays with worse.

Before his injury, he wasn't this bad. Here is 2007-2011:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=462&withagainst=true&season=2007-11&sit=5v5

But still, never a corsi heavyweight.

He has never been a Corsi giant, but that was always mitigated by the fact that because he was strong and smart he was able to protect the house better and force shots outside. The game just looked to fast for him this season, though. I still think he can come back and be a good middle pairing D, which is fine for 4 million. Would rather have a younger more mobile version of Seids to pair with Hamilton, though.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
He has never been a Corsi giant, but that was always mitigated by the fact that because he was strong and smart he was able to protect the house better and force shots outside. The game just looked to fast for him this season, though. I still think he can come back and be a good middle pairing D, which is fine for 4 million. Would rather have a younger more mobile version of Seids to pair with Hamilton, though.

Absolutely bang on. Again. :)

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I hope someone from the Bruins FO comes on here and reads this thread, so they can avoid doing something really dumb like allowing teams to offer sheet Hamilton.

No bridge contracts. Lock him up now. Long term contract. #1 priority.

In a few years, we'll be talking about the "Hamilton Cup window" instead of the "Chara Cup window". And we'll look back and say "that was really smart for Sweeney to make that signing, and doing it early".

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hope someone from the Bruins FO comes on here and reads this thread, so they can avoid doing something really dumb like allowing teams to offer sheet Hamilton.

No bridge contracts. Lock him up now. Long term contract. #1 priority.

In a few years, we'll be talking about the "Hamilton Cup window" instead of the "Chara Cup window". And we'll look back and say "that was really smart for Sweeney to make that signing, and doing it early".

A few years??? The kid is 21 years old

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I'm bullish on Hamilton.

As wintersej's excellent analysis / post argued in the last page of this thread, by the numbers, he's already basically Brent Burns / Keith Yandle. If his development goes well in a few years, he could be even better than that.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm wondering what posters think the Bruins should do if they allow Hamilton to be offer sheeted? Do you use part of the draft compensation in a trade for a more experienced top pairing defenseman?

Basically, match it unless your getting 4 first round picks (9.1m +)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
8 years 48 million lets go Sweeney

At that price, you should have said "let's go Hamilton". Sweeney no doubt signs Hamilton at that number yesterday. Would Hamilton accept a 8y deal or will he look for a shorter term to cash in even more in a couple years?

For the Bruins, no doubt 8y is the way to go. But it can only happen if Hamilton choose so...

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
At that price, you should have said "let's go Hamilton". Sweeney no doubt signs Hamilton at that number yesterday. Would Hamilton accept a 8y deal or will he look for a shorter term to cash in even more in a couple years?

For the Bruins, no doubt 8y is the way to go. But it can only happen if Hamilton choose so...

you have to think Hamilton's camp has been pushing for a 2 year bridge to set up a massive payday in summer 2017

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

I think he would consider it.

It would take him to age 30. Which is dead in middle of a defender's prime

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't think I'll ever understand why a player would take a bridge deal in this situation. Always go for the guaranteed money IMO. You might make a little less year-over-year, but you have the comfort of knowing that if you get a career ending injury in year 1 then you are basically set for life. If you get a career ending injury on a 2 year bridge deal then that's the last contract you'll ever get.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I think I misunderstood your post, or your mine.

I didn't meant to suggest "Hamilton window" to mean the window is closing soon.

I mean, he will be a dominant D that we will look to as core to any Cup run we make, the way we've looked at Chara. The fact he is 21 means the window will be hopefully open long...

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Exactly -- his contract really is not a problem. It was a steal as a #2, but even as a 3/4 it is still a pretty darn good contract.

I've said it numerous times, and probably beating the horse dead again... but I really, REALLY wish last season we had gone with:

Chara-Boychuk, Seids-Hamilton

Give Boychuk his 5 million for 5 years or whatever he may have accepted last offseason, and roll with that for a few more years.

I can dream. Still miss Boychuk. Guess I liked him a lot more than I realized, I probably should get a Boychuk jersey (Bruins of course).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm bullish on Hamilton.

As wintersej's excellent analysis / post argued in the last page of this thread, by the numbers, he's already basically Brent Burns / Keith Yandle. If his development goes well in a few years, he could be even better than that.

Not sure about the Burns/Yandle comparison but..

I have loved his development. Did he/has he shown struggles with decision making at times? Absolutely, but that`s what comes with a young D-man, this team has only two defenseman who are mobile in Dougie and Krug in a game that`s getting quicker by the season, no way do I do anything but lock this kid up. His absence was huge late in the season and his value moving forward even more important.

Doesn`t mean I`d empty the bank on him, but I`d lock him up long term and not worry about him for that period of time, you just don`t find many like him in the draft

OutspokenMinority*

I have loved his development. Did he/has he shown struggles with decision making at times? Absolutely, but that`s what comes with a young D-man, this team has only two defenseman who are mobile in Dougie and Krug in a game that`s getting quicker by the season, no way do I do anything but lock this kid up. His absence was huge late in the season and his value moving forward even more important.

Doesn`t mean I`d empty the bank on him, but I`d lock him up long term and not worry about him for that period of time, you just don`t find many like him in the draft

words without numbers = air

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Great points, and definitely agree. Don't break the bank; let's not pull a Chiarelli. But be smart and lock him down. I'm sure he's happy to stay knowing he's our #1 D of the coming years.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Exactly -- his contract really is not a problem. It was a steal as a #2, but even as a 3/4 it is still a pretty darn good contract.

I've said it numerous times, and probably beating the horse dead again... but I really, REALLY wish last season we had gone with:

Give Boychuk his 5 million for 5 years or whatever he may have accepted last offseason, and roll with that for a few more years.

I can dream. Still miss Boychuk. Guess I liked him a lot more than I realized, I probably should get a Boychuk jersey (Bruins of course).

Seids was able to make up for his dreadful possession game through strength, experience, positioning. His contract was decent when that was true.

But now it's not because he's even slower now post-injury-- even though he was never fast-- and so, now the contract is truly an albatross. If you look at his Corsi numbers from last year, he literally made everyone he plays with worse. And everyone had better possession when he wasn't on the ice.

I too long for Boychuk, but not Seids. The pre-injury Seids was somewhat overrated by B fans (who underrated Boychuck by comparison) but still a solid option. Now, he's more of a drag on the D and the team. He should be moved.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think I misunderstood your post, or your mine.

I didn't meant to suggest "Hamilton window" to mean the window is closing soon.

I mean, he will be a dominant D that we will look to as core to any Cup run we make, the way we've looked at Chara. The fact he is 21 means the window will be hopefully open long...

ah..thx for the clarification, I interpreted it to mean his window is closing now:laugh:

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

Even last off season you weren't getting him signed for less than 6.

He was going to cash in, and he deserved to

InterimGM

May 6, 2015

I don't believe he's been a #2 under this current contract, and last year he played more like a #5.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't believe he's been a #2 under this current contract, and last year he played more like a #5.

Yes, but the hope his knee covers enough to be back to a middle pairing level. If he plays like a bottom pairing D at 4 million that really sucks.

I'd wager it like this totally out of my butt:

Chance of his knee fully recovering and him being a real #2 again: 10% - great contract
Being a 3/4: 50% - OK contract
Being a 5/6: 40% - horrible contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad