Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin' me? Playoffs?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
“There are lies, damn lies and statistics” to quote Mark Twain.

If the Cup were between the Isles, Caps and Philly we could have a reasonable debate.

Alas, those aren’t the circumstances.

Like you, I’ll be rooting for the Isles to make the dance. After that my expectations, unlike yours, are negligible.
Please do not assume what my expectations are - I am under no illusion, but I expect that anything can happen and will enjoy the ride.

Just providing context about goal differential.

You look at the Caps and Isles and at first impression - it’s a head scratcher, but they are the results of two different things.

The Caps getting blown out - The Isles the goal differential is much more to do with the result of blown leads and not putting games away for example.

If the Isles were able to score say 5 empty net goals to ice the game, that would +5 goals, and not give up the tying goal that is another +5 goals, and top of that losing double of the amount of games in OT, that is another 5 goals in giving up the game winner

Better example, Cal hits the empty netter against the Rangers - The Isles get +3, getting the empty netter, not giving the tying goal, and not giving up the winning goals.

Not giving them pass - just giving context of the -23.

Last edited:

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Please do not assume what my expectations are - I am under no illusion, but I expect that anything can happen and will enjoy the ride.

Just providing context about goal differential.

You look at the Caps and Isles and at first impression - it’s a head scratcher, but they are the results of two different things.

The Caps getting blown out - The Isles the goal differential is much more to do with the result of blown leads and not putting games away for example.

If the Isles were able to score say 5 empty net goals to ice the game, that would +5 goals, and not give up the tying goal that is another +5 goals, and top of that losing double of the amount of games in OT, that is another 5 goals in giving up the game winner

Better example, Cal hits the empty netter against the Rangers - The Isles get +3, getting the empty netter, not giving the tying goal, and not giving up the winning goals.

Not giving them pass - just giving context of the -23.
I’d say this empty net issue has proven to be a pretty big problem this season, not something to hand wave away.

“If only we were better at closing out games, our goal differential would be the same as theirs, so actually there’s not much of a difference between these teams”

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’d say this empty net issue has proven to be a pretty big problem this season, not something to hand wave away.

“If only we were better at closing out games, our goal differential would be the same as theirs, so actually there’s not much of a difference between these teams”
There is no hand waving - again just adding context.

IMO, it is more of indictment than hand waving.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
93 points
  • Flyers 82 points - 7 Games Left - that would be 5-2-1
  • Capitals 82 points - 9 games left - that would be 5-4-1
  • Red Wings 80 points - 8 games left - that would be 7-1-1
  • Islanders 77 points - 9 games left - that would be 8-1
  • Devils 76 points - 8 games left - that would be 8-0
  • Penguins 75 points - 9 games left - that would be 9-0
  • Sabres 75 points - 7 games left - that would be 7-0
Flyers next 4
  • NYI, @ BUF, @ Columbus, @ HABS
Islanders Next 4
  • @ PHI, CHI, @ Columbus, NSH
Red Wings next 4
  • @ TBY, NYR, BUF, BUF
Capitals next 4
  • @ BUF, PITT, @ CAR, OTT

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
93 points
  • Flyers 82 points - 9 Games Left - that would be 5-4-1
  • Red Wings 79 points - 10 games left - that would be 7-3
  • Capitals 81 points - 11 games left - that would be 6-5
  • Islanders 75 points - 11 games left - that would be 9-2
  • Penguins 72 points - 11 games left - that would be 10-0-1
  • Sabres 71 points - 10 games left - that would be 10-0
  • Devils 76 points - 9 games left - that would be 8-0-1
Flyers next 4
  • @ HABS, CHI, NYI, @ BUF
Islanders Next 5
  • @ FLA, @ TBY, @ PHI, CHI, @ Columbus,
Red Wings next 6
  • @ CAR, @ FLA, @ TBY, NYR, BUF
Capitals next 6
  • @ TOR, BOS, @ BUF, PITT, @ car, OTT
Season ova.:surrender

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Season ova.:surrender
Was not a good night with OTL by the Flyers and Wings and wins by the Devils, Penguins, and Caps.

The Florida trip is going to be rough, I wonder if by late next week we see some regulars, like Pelech, who I think is not 100%, calls it for the season.
And if players like Maggio, Isk, Dufour get some NHL time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
All these teams in contention for the wild card spots need other contestants to fall apart when the going gets tough.

We're one of those teams that have fallen apart when the going has gotten tough.

I hear that Leafs fans that casually follow us are affectionately referring to our situation as "The Engvall Syndrome".

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
For all those people saying Sorokin does not deserve blame, take a look at the teams that are likely going to beat us out, specifically Washington who looks to be on their way to the third seed in Metro, and Philadelphia. Neither of these teams are doing any better than us offensively, if anything I believe we average more goals per game than both of them. The difference is both teams have cheap no name goaltenders who are overachieving and our 8 million dollar supposed Vezina contender has been mediocre all season. Look at the stats, this is not an opinion. Take a second and look at Charlie Lindgren stats and compare them to Sorokin's. That is the reason they are in the playoffs and we are not.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
For all those people saying Sorokin does not deserve blame, take a look at the teams that are likely going to beat us out, specifically Washington who looks to be on their way to the third seed in Metro, and Philadelphia. Neither of these teams are doing any better than us offensively, if anything I believe we average more goals per game than both of them. The difference is both teams have cheap no name goaltenders who are overachieving and our 8 million dollar supposed Vezina contender has been mediocre all season. Look at the stats, this is not an opinion. Take a second and look at Charlie Lindgren stats and compare them to Sorokin's. That is the reason they are in the playoffs and we are not.
I think that teams are starting to take this approach more and more. Do not commit long term to goalies. Evaluate on a year by year basis and try to find cheap, immediate, effective solutions in net. I think the turning point was Carey Price's crazy contract. GM's stopped "building from the net out" and locking up their starting goalies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I think that teams are starting to take this approach more and more. Do not commit long term to goalies. Evaluate on a year by year basis and try to find cheap, immediate, effective solutions in net. I think the turning point was Carey Price's crazy contract. GM's stopped "building from the net out" and locking up their starting goalies.
With the way Sorokin is playing this year, I would rather spend 3-4 million on a decent middle of the road goalie (which is what he has been this year anyway) and spend 8 million on a bona fide game breaking sniper.
And the scary part is if he is truly what we are seeing this year, then we are now stuck with him for 8 years at that price.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
We waited anxiously for 7 seven years for Sorokin to come here. Saw him have 3 amazing seasons. But all it takes is one mediocre season and we turn on him.
I would not say we have tunred on him. but he has had a very basic season stat wise.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Looking pretty grim. Plenty of time to think about the draft and the mess Lou has left this org in over the offseason. I'm still rooting for a 4pt last stand in Florida which will set up a meaningful game vs the Flyers.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Looking pretty grim. Plenty of time to think about the draft and the mess Lou has left this org in over the offseason. I'm still rooting for a 4pt last stand in Florida which will set up a meaningful game vs the Flyers.
That would be at least interesting. Playing the Flyers 5 points (or less) behind them with 2 games in hand would give them some hope...

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I'm against trading Sorokin. Every year there are good goalies that play like crap, and crap goalies that play good.

He didn't set the world on fire this year but everyone on the team is to blame. Everyone needs to pick it up.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I'm against trading Sorokin. Every year there are good goalies that play like crap, and crap goalies that play good.

He didn't set the world on fire this year but everyone on the team is to blame. Everyone needs to pick it up.

No, trading Sorokin would be a terrible idea. You're 100% right, goalies are very fickle in this regard and he will likely return to his former self.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

Did someone say we should trade him ?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With the way Sorokin is playing this year, I would rather spend 3-4 million on a decent middle of the road goalie (which is what he has been this year anyway) and spend 8 million on a bona fide game breaking sniper.
And the scary part is if he is truly what we are seeing this year, then we are now stuck with him for 8 years at that price.
Can we stick on topic - take this conversation to roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad