Prospect Info: Donovan Sebrango

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's another D prospect for Belleville on the Left side. Work in progress. We'll see where it goes. He will have to take some steps .

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's kind of useless in the Sens system, but should end up helping Belleville, hopefully
He's a 21 year old d man that played team Canada WJC in 2022. Relax with the hate. He was solid whenever I watched him. Might end up being a usefull call up type player. Whats with eveyrone around here thinking every player is done developing so young its so strange.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He's a 21 year old d man that played team Canada WJC in 2022. Relax with the hate. He was solid whenever I watched him. Might end up being a usefull call up type player. Whats with eveyrone around here thinking every player is done developing so young its so strange.
That's my thinking. He played both u18 and u20 for Canada. There might be something there

Reactions: bert

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Zub's getting paid what he is because that's the market.

Has he played RD in the past? What makes you think that a guy you admit is likely a 5-7 D can also be that on his off-side?

You building a lot of Strawmen here, I never mentioned Guennet, Hamara or Donovan*, maybe he can be better than them, but I don't see a future for those guys on this team either so it's a bit of a moot point.

It takes a lot more than being an SOB to actually play at the NHL level. he's got his work cut out for him if he wants to crack our group particularly since playing his off side seems to be the only path for him to do so given we have 5 LHD ahead of him right now.
I don’t get why you are taking this so personal.

I never accused you of anything in terms of other prospects. I merely gave a comparable set of prospects that we have high hopes for. And that they haven’t shown an ability to play AHL hockey like this prospect has.

Of course it takes more. But here’s a little exercise for you, what position is the most expensive to trade for? And what kind of player do teams still covet if they are unable to play offensive hockey?

Look at Romanov. The guy is a f***ing pylon but nets a 1st. Xhekaj is a larger pylon, and yet teams would easily trade for him in the bottom pair, and would have to pay way more than a 3rd round pick.

These guys are only good when they are homegrown. They have short shelf lives and can alter a series with one moment. Where is he in depth? Behind Kleven, JBD, Lassi, and Guenette most likely. But that’s fine. Three of those guys are gonna be NHLers or gone by February.

So who comes out of our NHL lineup?

Let’s see, in 3 years do you foresee Zub, Hamonic, Branny, JBD as locks? Because that’s 3 out of your 6 D right there. But of course we cannot have all LHDs right? What is Klevens next contract? Or Chychs? Is Kleven gonna force out Chych? Or Zub?

And let’s say he does. Let’s say Kleven and Sebrango are pushing for top 4 minutes. Is it really crazy to deal one of them then? Get help in an area you need it?

Defensive prospects with an edge are highly coveted. Gudas is horrendous defensively. This guy has had good reviews defensively.

I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people and a 6D making league minimum who can smash someone’s face in a 7 game series is a prospect I’m way more excited about than Lassi.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t get why you are taking this so personal.
I'm not taking anything personal, I'm just responding to what you posted, what a strange accusation...
I never accused you of anything in terms of other prospects. I merely gave a comparable set of prospects that we have high hopes for. And that they haven’t shown an ability to play AHL hockey like this prospect has.
This is what you posted an I responded to: "You’re telling me that Sebrango is already unequivocally worse than those three"
Of course it takes more. But here’s a little exercise for you, what position is the most expensive to trade for? And what kind of player do teams still covet if they are unable to play offensive hockey?
Ok, when he shows he can play at the NHL level, we can worry about his trade value, until then I stand by my point that I don't see a path for him to contribute in our lineup
Look at Romanov. The guy is a f***ing pylon but nets a 1st. Xhekaj is a larger pylon, and yet teams would easily trade for him in the bottom pair, and would have to pay way more than a 3rd round pick.
At the same age Romanov was a regular NHL player with a season under his belt while this guy was sent to the ECHL. This isn't a good comparable at all. Wifi is in the league because he's a monster, not at all comparable. Is this guy going to be getting good defensively reviews when he gets out of the AHL? Grand rapids was one of the worst defensive teams in the AHL and he got sent down to the ECHL there.
These guys are only good when they are homegrown. They have short shelf lives and can alter a series with one moment. Where is he in depth? Behind Kleven, JBD, Lassi, and Guenette most likely. But that’s fine. Three of those guys are gonna be NHLers or gone by February.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, if it's that he'll be good for Belleville, sure I guess?
So who comes out of our NHL lineup?
For him? Nobody unless he takes some pretty big steps forward
Let’s see, in 3 years do you foresee Zub, Hamonic, Branny, JBD as locks? Because that’s 3 out of your 6 D right there. But of course we cannot have all LHDs right? What is Klevens next contract? Or Chychs? Is Kleven gonna force out Chych? Or Zub?
So you're argument is we need a 5th 7th guy (your words) to replace guys that are higher in the lineup when they leave? More likely well bring in guys like Hamonic tbh.
And let’s say he does. Let’s say Kleven and Sebrango are pushing for top 4 minutes. Is it really crazy to deal one of them then? Get help in an area you need it?
I doubt it, he hasn't really shown he's got that potential, maybe lightning strikes but we're getting into lottery ticket territory and saying it would crazy to deal him,
Defensive prospects with an edge are highly coveted. Gudas is horrendous defensively. This guy has had good reviews defensively.
Your drastically overeating the guy imo, you're already comparing him to established NHLrs when he's shown about as much as Englund.
I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people and a 6D making league minimum who can smash someone’s face in a 7 game series is a prospect I’m way more excited about than Lassi.
If he turn into that, I'll call it a win, but again, my core issue is I don't see room for that to happen on our team given our depth at LD. If he were a RHD I'd likely have him a touch behind Guénette, who I also think is in tough to make our team.

Reactions: NyQuil

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Speaking of deficiencies in RD prospects, who do we have outside of Thomson? Guenette? I always value info from those who watch our AHL, SHL, etc. prospects.

Hamara and Donovan are names I can think of, but I don't know which ones are RD.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Speaking of deficiencies in RD prospects, who do we have outside of Thomson? Guenette? I always value info from those who watch our AHL, SHL, etc. prospects.

Hamara and Donovan are names I can think of, but I don't know which ones are RD.

Thanks.
Well, we did just draft one in Stanley

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Thanks.
Thomson, Guenette, Matinpalo and Stanley. Everybody else is LD.

Kleven played some RD in college.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, we did just draft one in Stanley

Thomson, Guenette, Matinpalo and Stanley. Everybody else is LD.

Kleven played some RD in college.
Well, I guess we have to keep an eye on those four then (Thomson, Guenette, Matinpalo & Stanley) along with the LDs.

I've seen Thomson play a bit, and Guenette a tiny amount, but haven't seen Matinpalo or Stanley play at all. Will Matinpalo or Stanley play in Belleville next year?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I suppose we're graduating JBD?
Typically I consider players graduated once their entry-level ends.

Well, I guess we have to keep an eye on those four then (Thomson, Guenette, Matinpalo & Stanley) along with the LDs.

I've seen Thomson play a bit, and Guenette a tiny amount, but haven't seen Matinpalo or Stanley play at all. Will Matinpalo or Stanley play in Belleville next year?
Matinpalo will be in Belleville.

Stanley will be in Cornell [NCAA].

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

2022? lol I thought it was more like 2020

ok I'll wait to see how he looks this year in the AHL. If he can be a 3rd pairing prospect at least he'd be a piece in the deal and not just a throw in

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

ok I'll wait to see how he looks this year in the AHL. If he can be a 3rd pairing prospect at least he'd be a piece in the deal and not just a throw in
He could actually replace brannstrom’s role with some added physicality.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He made the AHL when he was 18 years old. There was some regression but he has potential.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He made the AHL when he was 18 years old. There was some regression but he has potential.
Covid really messed up his development along with poor decisions by the Red Wings. Kid has tools so hopefully we can find the key to unlocking the potential.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I’ll be honest, I had zero idea this man existed before the trade - then I started reading. All the reviews and evaluations are extremely positive. Great defensive instincts, feisty and tenacious, really good first pass.

Could actually be pretty invaluable for us if we lose two D at some point during the season, which is highly probable. He would then be our first D call up unless Mantipalo has been doing better.

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Everytime it's an "Ottawa guy" I roll my eyes.
Why not be stoked for a kid from your own town potentially playing for the home team?

Seems like a dream come true to me. Gud and Boro definitly got a rough ride in here though, so perhaps not.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Why not be stoked for a kid from your own town potentially playing for the home team?

Seems like a dream come true to me. Gud and Boro definitly got a rough ride in here though, so perhaps not.

It is obvious that some just will always look for something bad in everything...I

Sad.

This kid has potential and motivation in front of a home crowd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad