Recalled/Assigned: Donovan down/de Haan up

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
deHaan got schooled by Crosby on that game winner. And I'm happy about it. That's the best experience you could ask for. He's been playing great, carrying the puck, taking the body, getting involved, he's actually VISIBLE on the ice. Imagine that. This kid can play, and barring any further shoulder problems, he'll easily be a 3-4 and then some.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
deHaan got schooled by Crosby on that game winner. And I'm happy about it. That's the best experience you could ask for. He's been playing great, carrying the puck, taking the body, getting involved, he's actually VISIBLE on the ice. Imagine that. This kid can play, and barring any further shoulder problems, he'll easily be a 3-4 and then some.

Definitely a learning experience. I thought he did a great job during regulation though, considering he and Hickey were matched up against Crosby for most of the night and held them in check at ES. Pretty impressive for a guy who most though was nothing more than a #7, and a guy who some labeled a bust playing in his 2nd game of the season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Everyone gets schooled by Crosby at least once.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Definitely a learning experience. I thought he did a great job during regulation though, considering he and Hickey were matched up against Crosby for most of the night and held them in check at ES. Pretty impressive for a guy who most though was nothing more than a #7, and a guy who some labeled a bust playing in his 2nd game of the season.

They were probably saying that because of his injuries not his play.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

Indeed. In a couple of years you'll see deHaan taking Crosby off that puck and eliminating the threat. My greatest fear is that he's sent back down when Viz and/or Strait return.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Indeed. In a couple of years you'll see deHaan taking Crosby off that puck and eliminating the threat. My greatest fear is that he's sent back down when Viz and/or Strait return.

ehh im not sure that will be his game. Id like to see him with a Reinhart to make up for his lapses. He moves the puck really well..

vanek makes a horrible give away at the blueline

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
ehh im not sure that will be his game. Id like to see him with a Reinhart to make up for his lapses. He moves the puck really well..

I'd like to see CdH eventually get some time with Hamonic this year, especially if they don't plan on bringing MacDonald back. I think(hope) Reinhart will start his career playing next to Visnovsky. Griff is a great compliment to smaller PMDs. Having that veteran presence could also go a long way toward his development, as well as the level of his game coming out of the gate next season.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I'd like to see CdH eventually get some time with Hamonic this year, especially if they don't plan on bringing MacDonald back. I think(hope) Reinhart will start his career playing next to Visnovsky. Griff is a great compliment to smaller PMDs. Having that veteran presence could also go a long way toward his development, as well as the level of his game coming out of the gate next season.

I had Hammers name beside Visk name, but deleted it. He has just been so bad this year. He has completely lost any edge he had (so has this whole team...they are fairly gutless). I would like to see CDH play with a physical dman and I think griff will fit that bill. Cant argue that Visk and Grif would be nice together.

Who told Hamonic he was offensive? They should be shot...get him back to playing in ypur face Def and we have something

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

At some point again in his career he'll have an elite goal scorer bearing down on him - it's inevitable - and he will handle it much better, that's all I was really getting at. I like him a LOT.

I've heard all the talk about Griff, but I never saw him play. I hope he lives up to his mighty expectations. On the flip side, I've been watching Pulock in the video clips posted in the prospects thread, and I must say...he DOES excite me. Not only the shot, but everytime I tune in he's either skating the length of the ice with the puck, smashing guys into the boards, digging in the corners, and always hustling to try and make something happen. He's already better than all the bozo's currently on the roster, (grossly overrated) Hamonic included.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Ness will be the first to go.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I had Hammers name beside Visk name, but deleted it. He has just been so bad this year. He has completely lost any edge he had (so has this whole team...they are fairly gutless). I would like to see CDH play with a physical dman and I think griff will fit that bill. Cant argue that Visk and Grif would be nice together.

Who told Hamonic he was offensive? They should be shot...get him back to playing in ypur face Def and we have something
I agree, he's playing completely out of his element. He handles the puck like it's a granade when he's leading the rush. He plays best when he plays that , in your face, defensive style game. He should never be leading the rush!

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I agree, he's playing completely out of his element. He handles the puck like it's a granade when he's leading the rush. He plays best when he plays that , in your face, defensive style game. He should never be leading the rush!

i like that Hamonic is pushing himself, trying to develop his offensive abilities. i'm certain that he was brought in, and told to just focus on his defence, which is fine for rookies. but he's been in the bigs for a few years now, so good for him for trying to become more of a complete player. if he can become a 30-40 point guy, while being a good shutdown guy, all the better.

he certainly looks a bit lost when he enters the 'O' zone, but at least he is carrying it in, and keeping possession. some of our forwards can't even do that (PMB, Regin, McDonald...).

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
i like that Hamonic is pushing himself, trying to develop his offensive abilities. i'm certain that he was brought in, and told to just focus on his defence, which is fine for rookies. but he's been in the bigs for a few years now, so good for him for trying to become more of a complete player. if he can become a 30-40 point guy, while being a good shutdown guy, all the better.

he certainly looks a bit lost when he enters the 'O' zone, but at least he is carrying it in, and keeping possession. some of our forwards can't even do that (PMB, Regin, McDonald...).[/QUOTE

but hes not playing good def. he is not shutting anyone down. Thats what we are missing and saying we would rather see. Hes not going to ever be an offensive dman. Team Canada didnt look at him because he can put up points. He needs to.stick to what hes good at. Play the body, be aggressive, dont get scored on.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
I really liked what I saw out of DeHaan. He got beat bad on the last play but Im sure he has never seen anything like that in his career.

Its obvious he has the tools to play in this league if he puts it together. Ness and Donovan on the other hand I dont know.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
The thing that's struck me the most about de Haan is his size. I say that because I saw him in person two years ago at my old job when he was playing with Bridgeport but was out because of his shoulder injury. He walked by me wearing a suit and I immediately recognized him and was shocked by how small he was. We're almost the same age and I was about 5'10, 155 pounds at the time and I said to myself "there's no way he weighs any more than 25 pounds more than me."

Fast forward to now and the one interview he did before one of the games the other day and I did a triple take. He has put on some BEEF. He actually has the size of an NHL defenseman right now. Has to be at least 200 pounds, maybe more. I'm surprised there wasn't more of a discussion about him cracking the lineup from the jump. I'm sure hitting the weights or finally finishing out his growing, whatever it was, has been a huge confidence boost for him and it's shown with the way he's been playing.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

he certainly looks a bit lost when he enters the 'O' zone, but at least he is carrying it in, and keeping possession. some of our forwards can't even do that (PMB, Regin, McDonald...).

Hamonic would be better suited playing next to a PMD. Trying to increase his offensive production has clearly hindered his defensive game.

The thing that's struck me the most about de Haan is his size. I say that because I saw him in person two years ago at my old job when he was playing with Bridgeport but was out because of his shoulder injury. He walked by me wearing a suit and I immediately recognized him and was shocked by how small he was. We're almost the same age and I was about 5'10, 155 pounds at the time and I said to myself "there's no way he weighs any more than 25 pounds more than me."

Fast forward to now and the one interview he did before one of the games the other day and I did a triple take. He has put on some BEEF. He actually has the size of an NHL defenseman right now. Has to be at least 200 pounds, maybe more. I'm surprised there wasn't more of a discussion about him cracking the lineup from the jump. I'm sure hitting the weights or finally finishing out his growing, whatever it was, has been a huge confidence boost for him and it's shown with the way he's been playing.

He's filled out well. Body-wise, he reminds me of Duncan Keith a little bit. Same height I believe and he's getting pretty close to that weight range(around 200lb).

I'd sell my soul for Keith-type production.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

The benefit, if you can call it that, of being injured is you get to spend a lot of time with the trainer in the weight room.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What we can all hope for is that Hammer eventualy becomes our #3-4 Dman...

This would be that the development of our first round picks dmen(Griff and Tank) went well and they reached their potential...

FA signings and Trades aside my hope for the future D is

-----------Reinhart-Pulock
AMAC/CDH/Pelech-Hamonic
-------CDH/Pelech-Mayfield

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
What we can all hope for is that Hammer eventualy becomes our #3-4 Dman...

This would be that the development of our first round picks dmen(Griff and Tank) went well and they reached their potential...

FA signings and Trades aside my hope for the future D is

-----------Reinhart-Pulock
AMAC/CDH/Pelech-Hamonic
-------CDH/Pelech-Mayfield
You don't have to be an offensive D-man to be a top pairing D-man in the NHL. Harmonic is well on his way to being a top pairing D-man on almost any team in the league as long as he plays to his strengths but leading the rush is not one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad