Recalled/Assigned: Donovan down/de Haan up

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Hmm... I am guessing they are doing the rotating rookie game.

I don't know how prepared DeHaan is? He's not been doing well offensively, but I have no idea how well he is playing this season. My guess is that if Pedan was not injured, he would be called up before DeHaan.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ok, finally they face reality with Donovan.

Now how about facing the bigger problem?

And for the record, as much as Donovan has sucked this season, I was less than impressed at how Capuano seemed to steer the post game interview last night to the outcome being all on Donovan's bad play.

Go see the post game at msg and tell me if I am wrong. While everyone praises Capuano for being a players-coach, I thought his denial of the massive problems this team suffers from, saying the team played well and all, then pointing his finger at Donovan and saying it was his one bad mistake that cost them the game...

That's just such wormy BS... WTF are you coach? Saving your skin at the cost of a prospect? F you Capuano.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Should be interesting to see how de Haan reacts. That he's even healthy at this point is good news. Still, there's no doubt that his 'offensive' output has been nothing at the AHL level similar to what was expected when he was drafted, which by the way was his best production as a junior player (i.e. his actual draft year production). Thoughts of him being another Duncan Keith have long since been thrown out the window. Hopefully he can improve the team's transition game. He certainly won't be making the team any more physical.

I found myself being very upset with Donovan last night. His confidence is simply shot. I felt he actually played better with the puck in his first few games this season, but some of the turnovers last night (especially the dumb one that led to the second goal) just can't happen at this level if a team hopes to win.

Glad however that he can go down to the farm and hopefully gain back some confidence. Lord knows the BPorters need a PP QB, thus a good chance for him to find his mojo.

don28

Postal Gunslinger
Dec 31, 2009
Lebanon, TN
I think the Isles made the right decision sending Donovan back down to the AHL. His confidence needs to be rebuilt, and it's time to see if de Haan can produce anything at the NHL level. Solid, steady defensive play with a little bit of offense chipped in would be a welcome addition from de Haan.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Thank god, the very first thing I am THANKFUL for with this team in weeks. Not that I am the least bit excited about de Haan, but Donovan is an absolute disgrace of a defenseman. 1 goal in 22 games for a supposed offensive d-man while making some of the worst blunders and costly giveaways I have ever seen consistently from an NHL player. Hopefully, he never wears an Isles uniform again because I honestly dont see an ounce of potential in him. This is the guy we thought was going to replace Streit, hahaha. Every single person on this site, whether they admit it or not, would give their left arm to have Streit back instead of this never-will-be bum.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I think at this point we need someone to be steady on defense, thats why this move was made. The less mistakes the better. Especially since they haven't put donovan on the the number one power play. De Haan will play better defense and can't do much worse on the offense.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Hmm... I am guessing they are doing the rotating rookie game.

I don't know how prepared DeHaan is? He's not been doing well offensively, but I have no idea how well he is playing this season. My guess is that if Pedan was not injured, he would be called up before DeHaan.

Bad guess

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Thank god, the very first thing I am THANKFUL for with this team in weeks. Not that I am the least bit excited about de Haan, but Donovan is an absolute disgrace of a defenseman. 1 goal in 22 games for a supposed offensive d-man while making some of the worst blunders and costly giveaways I have ever seen consistently from an NHL player. Hopefully, he never wears an Isles uniform again because I honestly dont see an ounce of potential in him. This is the guy we thought was going to replace Streit, hahaha. Every single person on this site, whether they admit it or not, would give their left arm to have Streit back instead of this never-will-be bum.
Did he kick your dog? I just don't understand calling the kid a "disgrace" and a "bum"? That's a little excessive with the hate!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
How many games until deHaan gets Donovanned?

Isles fans take out frustrations on players that are setup to fail. Maddening.

Donovan will be a good defenseman one day. He looks like Marc Andre Bergeron now, without the offense, but he's a rookie. The vast majority of young defensemen struggle. Remember Del Zotto? Jake Gardiner is a healthy scratch, he was the best dman on the Leafs in the playoffs last year.

For the record, I think deHaan will be very good. Smart player. Like Hickey. If we are lucky.

Isles need a lot more than deHaan though.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Did he kick your dog? I just don't understand calling the kid a "disgrace" and a "bum"? That's a little excessive with the hate!

Why the hate? Because he has singlehandedly cost us probably three games this season. For how horrible this team is, people might not realize we have lost 11 games by one goal or in OT, and another 2 by 1 with an empty net goal. Many of those games featured a horrific turnover by Donobum, directly leading to a goal against. I am tired of watching him and this pathetic AHL defense and goaltending in general.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
How many games until deHaan gets Donovanned?

Isles fans take out frustrations on players that are setup to fail. Maddening.

Donovan will be a good defenseman one day. He looks like Marc Andre Bergeron now, without the offense, but he's a rookie. The vast majority of young defensemen struggle. Remember Del Zotto? Jake Gardiner is a healthy scratch, he was the best dman on the Leafs in the playoffs last year.

For the record, I think deHaan will be very good. Smart player. Like Hickey. If we are lucky.

Isles need a lot more than deHaan though.

SO, in other other words, you think everyone is going to be very good. If he is an Isles "prospect" = he is going to be good...boy how that has worked out for us so far. How you can say you have seen anything from de Haan and Donobum to make you think they will even be NHLers, let alone "very good" is beyond me.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Why the hate? Because he has singlehandedly cost us probably three games this season. For how horrible this team is, people might not realize we have lost 11 games by one goal or in OT, and another 2 by 1 with an empty net goal. Many of those games featured a horrific turnover by Donobum, directly leading to a goal against. I am tired of watching him and this pathetic AHL defense and goaltending in general.
Then stop watching!

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Some of you rose-colored glasses fans simply amaze me (mostly Snow supporters). I mean everything is still so great outlook, so optimistic...after 8 years with 2 playoff appearances and not a single playoff series win and likely headed for our 6th time in the worst ten teams in the league in 7 years.

I swear some of you have such low expectations that one playoff appearance every 5 years would be considered a success. Seriously, answer this one question, after 6 years now and running, when exactly is this"rebuild" over? When exactly is Snow held accountable for a product that probably has the same record after 25 games as they did 5 years ago?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
NONE of our rookies are ready.

BTW...Rookies will make mistakes. Donovan had a bad game. don't kill the guy for not having the proper coaching staff to guide him.

Is it just me...but now I am trying to recall ANY time that Cappy blamed himself. Has he ever? Cappy is supposed to be this teams leader (not counting JT) and I have NEVER heard him say "I failed the team" "This team relies on me day in and day out to provide them with great coaching, but I failed them"

Come to think of it, I never heard JT do that, but many many times, we could see it in is face, his eyes, his actions.

I don't see shhhhtttt all from cappy.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Donovan

I don't think anyone can be surprised that a rookie d'man makes some mistakes. What I find very dissapointing about Donovan's game is his offensive game. I was under the impression he was our offensive d'man prospect. He has missed the net on almost every shot, and is invisible offensively. I would say Ness has been 5x more visable on offense than Donovan. I agree with this move. Let's give CDH a chance and hopefully he lasts more than three games without an injury.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Then stop watching!

Oh, and to answer this post, unlike most fans on here who complain and say they are fed up with the team, yet continue to watch and go to games and support Snow, I actually have naturally just gradually faded away from the Isles over the past 10 years. During the Laviolette years, I was going to as many as 15-20 games a year and watching probably 75 overall. Now I usually go to maybe 3-5 a year and I would say I have watched maybe 6 games this year from beginning to end. I simply cannot get excited about a team that ices a #2 d-man that probably wouldnt make another NHL roster, or a starting goalie that would be #3 on half the teams in the NHL. Most of the time, Isles games are just background noise for me while I get other things done.

It is sad, I have always been a die-hard fan, used to walk to games all the time when I was a student at Hofstra, but I am just fed up with it and watching the likes of Donovan, Ness, Carkner, Hickey, Regin, etc. Not going to invest my time and money into something that just frustrates me and stresses me out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad