Management Don Sweeney

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Yes ... that was me. Brown is useless and simply a space filler. He should be playing in Providence. Brown is hurting the development of younger players. Yup that was my narrative and view Shulzhoffer. Sorry for responding to poster questions regarding my take. I was under the belief this was a fan forum for Bruin discussion. My bad.
Browns a serviceable guy you can call up. Wins faceoffs. Kills penalties and hits. I don’t love him. He appears to be good for call ups. I think it was a suave addition to the organization.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Every time the Bs win, someone has to come on here and stroke Sweeny. Every time they lose, someone does the opposite.

I'll hold judgment on Beecher, Lohrei and Potrois until much farther in the season. Looking good so far, though.
Must be new here, because in this thread we rarely do anything but complain about Sweeney

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Browns a serviceable guy you can call up. Wins faceoffs. Kills penalties and hits. I don’t love him. He appears to be good for call ups. I think it was a suave addition to the organization.
Meh...based on the stat sites I visited he hasn't played any pk. Like I said IMO I would like to see someone else from Providence benefit from NHL ice time.

Reactions: GordonHowe and Kegs

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sweeney must be doing at least a little something right. I've bashed him in the past but results are results. He does as he sees fit for the team whether we see/like it or not. Of course there are always things that most of us would probably do differently but the proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: HustleB and Kegs

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Hard for me to question 4th line player moves given that DS is playing GM Mode on expert level with the cap setting turned to "on" this season, and winning big.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
1700847955784.png

Reactions: Kegs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This from my February Red Line report I got yesterday

CLASS DISMISSED

“Well, it’s official: this is a really down year for the NHL Draft.

We’re calling it: time of death - roughly the 10th of February.

At RLR, we like the top half of the first round, but as we discussed with several chief scouts around the league at last week’s Five Nations, there’s a steep drop off in talent after that. We mentioned to a few scouts that most of the players we have ranked in the back half of the first round this year would have been ranked in the 40’s on our list for last year’s draft, and we received knowing nods of agreement from all.”

Bruins do not have a first or second in the likely worst draft since global warming

Donny Hockey once again playing chess while the others playing checkers

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Donny Hockey once again playing chess while the others playing checkers
Im not to sure Donny boy has actually been playing Chess and other GMs checkers, at least not very well. Considering Donny has traded away his first 3 picks in this year draft and his 2nd and 4th round picks in next years draft all for a first round exit in last years playoffs and for players who are currently skating elsewhere and in the last 10 years the Bruins have a grand total of 6 playoff series wins and 3 of those came in 2019 when they went to the Finals.

Donny has also traded away 5 of his last 7 First-rounders. In a league where first rounders are valuable, no matter where you’re picking, and It’s good to have the most picks available, as high as possible, to give yourself a chance to be good in the long term.

Now many GMs can’t think 5-10 years down the road because they’ve got to figure out something now, which can mean trading valuable assets in search of short-term gain, but Sweeney has made the wrong moves time and time again, apparently he's lacking a little in his strategic moves. As his go to chess moves seem to be trading away first round picks and signing FA's who have been a big-time bust and with his lack of success in the playoffs, he surely doesn't have Magnus Carlsen shaking in his boots or any GM outside of the recently departed Jarmo Kekalainen to worried.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Im not to sure Donny boy has actually been playing Chess and other GMs checkers, at least not very well. Considering Donny has traded away his first 3 picks in this year draft and his 2nd and 4th round picks in next years draft all for a first round exit in last years playoffs and for players who are currently skating elsewhere and in the last 10 years the Bruins have a grand total of 6 playoff series wins and 3 of those came in 2019 when they went to the Finals.

Donny has also traded away 5 of his last 7 First-rounders. In a league where first rounders are valuable, no matter where you’re picking, and It’s good to have the most picks available, as high as possible, to give yourself a chance to be good in the long term.

Now many GMs can’t think 5-10 years down the road because they’ve got to figure out something now, which can mean trading valuable assets in search of short-term gain, but Sweeney has made the wrong moves time and time again, apparently he's lacking a little in his strategic moves. As his go to chess moves seem to be trading away first round picks and signing FA's who have been a big-time bust and with his lack of success in the playoffs, he surely doesn't have Magnus Carlsen shaking in his boots or any GM outside of the recently departed Jarmo Kekalainen to worried.
I do not follow the Bruins closely enough to know all their off-ice moves and I don’t have the pulse of their prospect pool, either. But I am of the opinion that if the Boston Bruins’ Scouting Department was worth anything, they might be more willing to use these draft picks as opposed to trading them for established known commodities. I know that the Bruins have been chasing the Cup for a while and have remained highly competitive for about 15 years, now. But it feels to me like the Bruins just don’t have faith in themselves to draft impact players. The Bruins usually draft towards the bottom of rounds, anyway, but in their quest to win now, they’ve left little to build with and are at the mercy of free agency to find impact players.

At least that’s how this casual observer sees this. If I’m way off-base, please correct me.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022

That’s a lot of firsts to deal for no cups. At least they sell out.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I do not follow the Bruins closely enough to know all their off-ice moves and I don’t have the pulse of their prospect pool, either. But I am of the opinion that if the Boston Bruins’ Scouting Department was worth anything, they might be more willing to use these draft picks as opposed to trading them for established known commodities. I know that the Bruins have been chasing the Cup for a while and have remained highly competitive for about 15 years, now. But it feels to me like the Bruins just don’t have faith in themselves to draft impact players. The Bruins usually draft towards the bottom of rounds, anyway, but in their quest to win now, they’ve left little to build with and are at the mercy of free agency to find impact players.

At least that’s how this casual observer sees this. If I’m way off-base, please correct me.
All you need to know about the scouting department is that Dean Malkoc is not only still employed, he's one of the Bruins top scouts. Malkoc was reportedly the mastermind behind the 2015 1st round. The man who was convinced that Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn were superior to Mathew Barzal and Kyle Connor and felt that Jakub Zboril was much better than his teammate, Thomas Chabot.

Reactions: rfournier103

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Imo its more along the lines of the Bruins playing the win now mode at all cost, but more times than not for one reason or another, they've made the wrong moves, in an attempt to win another cup in the Jacobs era. The Bruins have had a great core for many years to build around, with Pasta, Marchand, Bergy, krejci and McAvoy. During this time Sweeney has dealt a huge amount futures away and thrown a lot of money at FA in trying to add the right pieces. I won't blame him for that, but its been a combination of wrong moves and the teams inability to win more than just one playoff round in the last 10 years and none, zilch, zero zippo in the last two seasons, despite trading away a plethora of picks. So ultimately the blame falls on his shoulders as it should, as would the praise if he were able to bring the cup back to Boston.

Its a tough job no doubt. last year he looked like a genius with his moves, but then a first round exit and the departure of the pending UFA he brought in, along with him dealing away a 1 & 2 last year and his first three (picks) rounds this year. Ouch !!! In the end you get judged, on actual performance not how it looked on paper when u made the deals. Each GM has a shelf life and for Sweeney I really don't think he has an expiration date in the near future mainly because he manages to make JJ and Company money.

So as far as the scouting department, Imo I wouldn't place the blame on them. I feel they've actually have done a fine job with little amount of top picks they've had. Last year they had no first or second round picks this year no picks in the first three rounds and Im sure these scouts would of loved certain players when the Bruins were do to pick. The last 6 years the bruins have had only 2 first and 3 second picks. The two first are Beecher and Lysell and the seconds are Anderson, Poitras and Lohrie. So considering the small sample size they've been givin, I think they've actually have done a good job. Unfortunately for all their hard work, they'll have to sit around till the 4th round this year.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

In all fairness they don't get to draft high, but is the real problem they are not good at drafting or are worse at developing what they draft.

Reactions: rfournier103

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
great question.

What do you think?
Honestly, I am not sure , take Beecher for example, the kid has size, speed and some skill , he played well at the beginning of the season, killed penalties, did well on face offs, when him and Lauko were together on the 4th line there was some energy to them was it perfect no but there were some positives. Now he is buried in AHL, he had his hiccups but that goes with a 22 year old and they will lack consistency, but that is part of developing a young player. Now I know Monty wants more from him physically but take a look at his hits, But I guess it is easier to play a Heinen or a JVR, but does that help with your younger players development..........look at Steen he got waived to day was it a bad pick or bad development. Studknicka, Spooner,Zaboril, what is the answer, again I am not sure .........maybe management and or coaching and you can throw in scouting......

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Honestly, I am not sure , take Beecher for example, the kid has size, speed and some skill , he played well at the beginning of the season, killed penalties, did well on face offs, when him and Lauko were together on the 4th line there was some energy to them was it perfect no but there were some positives. Now he is buried in AHL, he had his hiccups but that goes with a 22 year old and they will lack consistency, but that is part of developing a young player. Now I know Monty wants more from him physically but take a look at his hits, But I guess it is easier to play a Heinen or a JVR, but does that help with your younger players development..........look at Steen he got waived to day was it a bad pick or bad development. Studknicka, Spooner,Zaboril, what is the answer, again I am not sure .........maybe management and or coaching and you can throw in scouting......

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
In all fairness they don't get to draft high, but is the real problem they are not good at drafting or are worse at developing what they draft.
Marchand, Pastrnak, Jake, Freddy, Beecher, Lauko, Steen, McAvoy, Carlo , Gryz, Lohrei, Swayman.all in the same lineup one night...That narrative should be dead by now no?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with Milt Schmidt former GM who said his job is to put a winning team on the ice and then there is a lot of luck usually predicated on injuries

Sweeney as actual GM winningest coach in hockey

Milt would be proud

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
People defending the Bruins point to McAvoy at 14, Pastrnak at 25, and Swayman 4th round

Trading picks that resulted in best record since 2008

However I agree with Uncle Rico - if you aren’t winning Cups, banging the hottest girl, driving the nicest car, living in the best house or have best show dog at Westminster both you and your dog are losers

Why focus on Pastrnak at 25 or Swayman in the 4th when we can talk about Steen and Studnicka

Bottom like most people here are failures - I’m one of the few who isn’t but I do feel bad for my dog

Reactions: Ritmo

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
He's done a decent job of keeping us competitive which is what his job is for the most part ...good at identifying serviceable defensemen and goalies ...not so good at identifying/drafting/trading for serviceable grit, centremen and goal scorers ..he's a build it from the goaltender out type guy and it shows

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He's done a decent job of keeping us competitive which is what his job is for the most part ...good at identifying serviceable defensemen and goalies ...not so good at identifying/drafting/trading for serviceable grit, centremen and goal scorers ..he's a build it from the goaltender out type guy and it shows
Looking at the 2024 mock draft list the Bruins don't have a pick until the 4th round. This is a flaw Sweeny has to fix for sure. Miss out on too many skilled players especially in the 1st 2 rounds. You can only go to the well so many times before it runs dry.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He pulled Poitras out of the late second round. Pelosi out of the fourth. Frederic at the bottom of the first. Beecher at the bottom of the first. Plus Merkulov as UDFA. Pretty good job of getting centers at his draft slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad