Management Don Sweeney

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
There a number of non Bruins good podcasts out there - Sweeney continually comes in if not one but top three.

This is media and former players and front office people

I’m sure if they were post 2010 Bruins fans he’d be considered the worstest

I also didn’t realize Yzerman has never won a Cup as GM - he is sort of like the Red Sox version of Dan Duquette

I also didn’t realize Hedman was drafted by Brian Lawton and he actually put significant pieces on Tampa

Brian Lawton lol
And Mike Oconnell laid the ground work for a few pivotal parts here as well I believe. Thomas Patrice.. pretty massive.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have a hard time seeing Sweeney selling if it's "possible" for them to make it.
Here's a mind blowing thought (and only a thought) would never happen but: If the B's are well out of playoff contention (TDL '24) does Marchand decide to see what it's like to play with his other buddy Sidney Crosby for a Cup run? Bruins would need 2-3 pieces but it would help to fill the stable. IMO it wouldn't be a thought unless they don't pick him as the next captain.
Crazy as it sounds but if Murphy puts it out there, you heard it here first.

The problem I had with the Backes deal was it was on the heals of the Milan Lucic trade. The reason given by many was Lucic would never live up to his new contract due to age and playing style, and I agreed 100%. It was the right move to trade him then, but then they ruined that by signing Backes to replace him- an older version of him.

I guess in reality they didn't want to trade Lucic, and Milan wanted to leave due to family reasons and they did their best to replace him.
Yup, heavy contradiction.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
And Mike Oconnell laid the ground work for a few pivotal parts here as well I believe. Thomas Patrice.. pretty massive.

Thomas, yes. Patrice? I don't know enough about it, but OC likes to take credit for drafting Bergeron.

Does he deserve it? Honest q.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
O'Connell's fatal mistake was the Thornton trade, obviously. It's the one and only reason why 18 years later he's never gotten another GM job when the league recycles bad GMs like Don Waddell and Ron Hextall over and over again.

But beyond that unpardonable mistake, in retrospect he deserves more credit than he gets. He helped build two division champs with good moves like acquiring Guerin and then getting Glen Murray in the Allison trade. He brought in depth help like Sean O'Donnell, Dan McGillis, Travis Green. He went for it at the deadline in 2004, getting Gonchar and Nylander. And that's with the firm constraints that Jacobs put on him prior to the 2004-05 lockout (with about half the team on contracts set to expire after the 2004 season). It didn't work out with any playoff success, and Jacobs' plan got absolutely devastated by the NHLPA when they offered the salary rollback as part of the lockout settlement.

His time in Boston ran its course, but I think he could've had a longer career as an NHL exec if he didn't make quite possibly the worst personnel move in NHL history when he rushed to trade the leading point scorer in the league for 3 middling roster players and no futures, without opening bidding to any other team. He did alright for himself in player development though, got his name on the cup in 2014 with the Kings.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
O'Connell's fatal mistake was the Thornton trade, obviously. It's the one and only reason why 18 years later he's never gotten another GM job when the league recycles bad GMs like Don Waddell and Ron Hextall over and over again.

But beyond that unpardonable mistake, in retrospect he deserves more credit than he gets. He helped build two division champs with good moves like acquiring Guerin and then getting Glen Murray in the Allison trade. He brought in depth help like Sean O'Donnell, Dan McGillis, Travis Green. He went for it at the deadline in 2004, getting Gonchar and Nylander. And that's with the firm constraints that Jacobs put on him prior to the 2004-05 lockout (with about half the team on contracts set to expire after the 2004 season). It didn't work out with any playoff success, and Jacobs' plan got absolutely devastated by the NHLPA when they offered the salary rollback as part of the lockout settlement.

His time in Boston ran its course, but I think he could've had a longer career as an NHL exec if he didn't make quite possibly the worst personnel move in NHL history when he rushed to trade the leading point scorer in the league for 3 middling roster players and no futures, without opening bidding to any other team. He did alright for himself in player development though, got his name on the cup in 2014 with the Kings.
U mean the hall of fame player the bruins traded away for Marco sturm essentially. Ya that move still haunts my dreams. But I mean the guy did draft Bergeron. And Bergeron is better than Joe Thornton. All day every day I’ll take Bergeron over Thornton.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
U mean the hall of fame player the bruins traded away for Marco sturm essentially. Ya that move still haunts my dreams. But I mean the guy did draft Bergeron. And Bergeron is better than Joe Thornton. All day every day I’ll take Bergeron over Thornton.
It wasn’t just his call, by any means.

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Thomas, yes. Patrice? I don't know enough about it, but OC likes to take credit for drafting Bergeron.

Does he deserve it? Honest q.

that article aged really well with 2 of our 4 regular centers being Sweeney picks just a few months later.

Reactions: Kegs

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
that article aged really well with 2 of our 4 regular centers being Sweeney picks just a few months later.
If you're talking about Potsie and Beecher, I suppose. But I don't think anyone would have predicted prior to this preseason that either would make the Bruins line up.

I'm very glad they did, growing pains not withstanding.

Ditto for Mason.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Firing Cassidy was a tough move that 99% of HF clowned him on but he made them all look like fools, especially Fluto. He also went out and found the perfect coach in Monty.
I’m only going back 20 years on HF and didn’t read every post but top 10 worthy

Thank you for your contribution if we had HFB pins you’d get one in the mail

Last night watching Beecher, Lohrei, and Poitras as well as Swayman should kill the stupid draft talk

McAvoy another guy he drafted being suspended they beat Detroit

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This team is deep at all positions and so well structured/coached...No Charlie Gryz Forbert Lucic Geekie Lauko No worries No issue. Heck a goalie goes down and bruins have Bussi.

This might be the deepest team in a long time.

All summer long bruin fans listened to the demise of Boston with Bergeron Krejci retiring, worst prospect pool in the league, etc.. yet Bruin fans believed and knew better.

Don picks up Geekie, JVR, Heinen, Lucic and Shats for dirt cheap and boom Magic! Don is easily winning GM of the year.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
This team is deep at all positions and so well structured/coached...No Charlie Gryz Forbert Lucic Geekie Lauko No worries No issue. Heck a goalie goes down and bruins have Bussi.

This might be the deepest team in a long time.

All summer long bruin fans listened to the demise of Boston with Bergeron Krejci retiring, worst prospect pool in the league, etc.. yet Bruin fans believed and knew better.

Don picks up Geekie, JVR, Heinen, Lucic and Shats for dirt cheap and boom Magic! Don is easily winning GM of the year.
Weren't you the one not 24 hours ago posting adnauseam that Brown was a detrement to the team and is hurting them?

• Haha
Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Weren't you the one not 24 hours ago posting adnauseam that Brown was a detrement to the team and is hurting them?
Yes ... that was me. Brown is useless and simply a space filler. He should be playing in Providence. Brown is hurting the development of younger players. Yup that was my narrative and view Shulzhoffer. Sorry for responding to poster questions regarding my take. I was under the belief this was a fan forum for Bruin discussion. My bad.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yes ... that was me. Brown is useless and simply a space filler. He should be playing in Providence. Brown is hurting the development of younger players. Yup that was my narrative and view Shulzhoffer. Sorry for sharing my thoughts and upsetting you.
It gave me zero emotion. Just finding it a bit contradictory that one day you are complaining endlessly about a 4th line plug in player while some are injured and then another day being praising the depth of the team.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Every time the Bs win, someone has to come on here and stroke Sweeny. Every time they lose, someone does the opposite.

I'll hold judgment on Beecher, Lohrei and Potrois until much farther in the season. Looking good so far, though.
this thread didn't have a post from August 14th until November 3rd and then had no posts for another week. what the hell are you talking about?

• Haha
Reactions: HustleB and Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
this thread didn't have a post from August 14th until November 3rd and then had no posts for another week. what the hell are you talking about?
A45E04A2-8F26-4B80-BEC8-80A94973965A.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad