Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Im beyond pumped we signed Pasta, but how has he made this team better this offseason?

Should we expect another move? Or are we rolling the dice on rookies? In need of a wing for Krejci.

Ways the Bruins may be better than last year:

-A full year of #73, who's legit already
-A second yr for Carlo
-Kevan Miller will, IMO, will have a big year, he's ready to peak
-some component of youth will come through and contribute. It may be Debrusk.

Granted, on top of these possibilities, Marchand,Pasta and Bergeron have to play up to their 2016-17 levels for the team to be better, but there's also the possibility of more production out of Backes and Belesky.

So despite no big offseason trade or FA signing, I'd argue this squad should be better. I'm thinking 4-5 points better in the standings. Maybe a 1st round win.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Ways the Bruins may be better than last year:

-A full year of #73, who's legit already
-A second yr for Carlo
-Kevan Miller will, IMO, will have a big year, he's ready to peak
-some component of youth will come through and contribute. It may be Debrusk.

Granted, on top of these possibilities, Marchand,Pasta and Bergeron have to play up to their 2016-17 levels for the team to be better, but there's also the possibility of more production out of Backes and Belesky.

So despite no big offseason trade or FA signing, I'd argue this squad should be better. I'm thinking 4-5 points better in the standings. Maybe a 1st round win.

Definitely should be better. But I think there's plenty of reasons to be concerned. I think there was opportunities to upgrade this team and they simply didn't do it. Especially with the expansion draft.

-Reliance on a 40 year old LHD.
-Reliance on 2 20 year old RHD.
-Currently only 2 LHD on the roster.
-Too much reliance on young guys?

I'll add as well, that there's going to be a ton of talent that simply won't get a chance due to volume of guys that we have. Out of Bjork, Heinen, DeBrusk, JFK, Czarnik, Vatrano, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Kuraly, Blidh, Schaller, Agostino and Gabrielle there's probably only going to be 4 of those guys that make the team.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Im beyond pumped we signed Pasta, but how has he made this team better this offseason?

Should we expect another move? Or are we rolling the dice on rookies? In need of a wing for Krejci.

The team isn't better, other than having McAvoy for a full season. They are going with a lot of rookies/prospects. They like the prospect pool and want to see what they have. I'm looking at it as a developmental year and another season as a playoff bubble team. Cassidy coaching for a full season is the wild card.

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
Im looking forward to the season regardless. Just really wish Krejci would finally get someone to play with aside from spare parts and hopes and dreams. Who knows, maybe a youngin will step up. Cant wait for hockey to start.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Definitely should be better. But I think there's plenty of reasons to be concerned. I think there was opportunities to upgrade this team and they simply didn't do it. Especially with the expansion draft.

-Reliance on a 40 year old LHD.
-Reliance on 2 20 year old RHD.
-Currently only 2 LHD on the roster.
-Too much reliance on young guys?

I'll add as well, that there's going to be a ton of talent that simply won't get a chance due to volume of guys that we have. Out of Bjork, Heinen, DeBrusk, JFK, Czarnik, Vatrano, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Kuraly, Blidh, Schaller, Agostino and Gabrielle there's probably only going to be 4 of those guys that make the team.

Add back up goaltending to this list too.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Maybe it's risky to go into a season relying on the youth to step up but I can't see how it can be much worse (and likely much better) than the production Beleskey and Hayes brought.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ty Anderson has been all over the map with his Pasta coverage over the last month or so, starts with the article saying the B`s should just pay Pasta, then says if Pasta wants to get paid, he should come to Boston (agreed with this) then he`s giving kudos to DS for the deal. All over the board

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-bruins-can-and-should-pay-david-pastrnak-what-he-wants

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-now-not-time-bruins-cheap-out-paying-future

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-if-he-wants-deal-david-pastrnak-should-come-boston

http://www.weei.com/articles/anderson-its-time-put-your-faith-don-sweeney

make your mind up Ty

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ty Anderson has been all over the map with his Pasta coverage over the last month or so, starts with the article saying the B`s should just pay Pasta, then says if Pasta wants to get paid, he should come to Boston (agreed with this) then he`s giving kudos to DS for the deal. All over the board

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-bruins-can-and-should-pay-david-pastrnak-what-he-wants

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-now-not-time-bruins-cheap-out-paying-future

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/anderson-if-he-wants-deal-david-pastrnak-should-come-boston

make your mind up Ty

In all fairness, everyone has been all over the map on this one (well except for one :laugh::laugh:).

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Add back up goaltending to this list too.

Yup. Didn't think about that. That's kind of flown under the radar with all the Pasta stuff. There's definitely a ton of potential for this team to be very good. I just wanted to say there's also the potential for some serious regression. I personally think they're going to be better, but it's not a sure thing.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

make your mind up Ty

I don't think any of those opinions are mutually exclusive.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I think Sweeney should dangle 2-3 prospects for Dushene. Ideally no D prospect involved. JFK Vatrano Celarik for example.

Our forwards are mangled and unbalanced. We need another young star, especially in this window of opportunity. I'm not looking forward to the day Bergeron can't carry the team by himself. He needs this move more than anyone!

Do it Sweeney!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Sweeney should dangle 2-3 prospects for Dushene. Ideally no D prospect involved. JFK Vatrano Celarik for example.

Our forwards are mangled and unbalanced. We need another young star, especially in this window of opportunity. I'm not looking forward to the day Bergeron can't carry the team by himself. He needs this move more than anyone!

Do it Sweeney!

He'd have to move some money out somewhere to make it work. Spooner and McQuaid would both have to go to fit in Duchene's cap hit. I am assuming moving Belesky is not an option (good luck moving that deal right at this time).

If, if they could pull it off, the one nice thing about Duchene is his deal is up in two-year coinciding with new deals for McAvoy and Carlo, so he might be a two-year rental, but for the right price it could be worth it. By right price I mean a deal that doesn't involve Carlo or McAvoy in any way, you don't move either guy for a player who may not be here after 2019.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Good post! So, JFK Debrusk, our 1st and Spooner? I know the money has to work but Sweeney should certainly be interested!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good post! So, JFK Debrusk, our 1st and Spooner? I know the money has to work but Sweeney should certainly be interested!

You have to move McQuaid as well to fit Duchene in.

I wouldn't move Debrusk or JFK. Some other guys like Heinen (who I am not sold on) I would consider.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Ain't pulling in Duchene for a collection of B prospects.

Can give Sakic all the flak you want, but he doesn't give guys away and he just signed Zadorov to a killer 2 year deal.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary

Can give Sakic all the flak you want, but he doesn't give guys away and he just signed Zadorov to a killer 2 year deal.

I think our prospects are b+! They are exactly what Sakic wants. Zboril JFK Spooner Belesky 1st?

I swing

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I watched Duchene a lot last year and he was not good - not sure he quit or got frustrated but I pass on him at those dollars and I'm certainly not giving up JFK & DeBrusk in same deal unless I'm getting the option of swapping first round picks

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think your right, Sakic wants at least one pretty big piece to move Duchene, otherwise I think he's dealt already.

Bruins shouldn't give in to that for Duchene, he's a luxury not a neccesity.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I watched Duchene a lot last year and he was not good - not sure he quit or got frustrated but I pass on him at those dollars and I'm certainly not giving up JFK & DeBrusk in same deal unless I'm getting the option of swapping first round picks

But if we're talking Landeskog - whole different story IMO. As bad as that team was he never mailed it in.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Do it Sweeney!

Duchene will be traded only if a young top-four defenseman is going the other way. So, which of Carlo or McAvoy are you willing to see Boston part with in return?

But if we're talking Landeskog - whole different story IMO. As bad as that team was he never mailed it in.

That whole team quit last season. Landeskog, who is captain, bears a lot of responsibility for not leading by example. I am glad that ship has sailed on acquiring him.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Duchene will be traded only if a young top-four defenseman is going the other way. So, which of Carlo or McAvoy are you willing to see Boston part with in return?

That whole team quit last season. Landeskog, who is captain, bears a lot of responsibility for not leading by example. I am glad that ship has sailed on acquiring him.

Good points, agree on both counts. Clearly the Avs biggest problem is their horrid d and the sole reason for trading Duchene would be to get a dman of significance in return and they can keep Lando.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Good points, agree on both counts. Clearly the Avs biggest problem is their horrid d and the sole reason for trading Duchene would be to get a dman of significance in return and they can keep Lando.

The defense isn't going to be any better either. It's basically just Johnson. I'm not big on Zadorov and don't see the hype attached to him. He's huge and can throw big hits. Barrie is a good enough 3/4, but needs a semi decent partner. After that they only have Barberio at the NHL level. The Avs will be a disaster of a team again.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Do it Sweeney!

Where are you going to put his 6mil cap hit? The more prospects, the better. Cream always raises to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad