Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I am curious if the Arizona relocation actually has an effect there. We'll see the final numbers, but it sounds like the NHL is buying the Coyotes for 1B, flipping them to Salt Lake for 1.3B, and distrubuting the 'relocation fee' among the owners.

300M/31 teams = 9.67M. More than enough found money for the Pegulas to write off the rest Granato's contract with no cash out of pocket.

Also curious if Bill Armstrong gets let go in Arizona, might be a good guy to grab and replace Adams.
It depends on how cheap Terry is these days. We know nothing about him. He could see this as a way to pay for building upgrades.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Those granato comments are appalling

This team is right where it started record-wise when adams took over. There has been nothing accomplished. It's all failure as we are 4 years older and nothing to show for it other than beating nashville in the RJ game, and almost qualifying to be in the top 16 of 32 teams that one season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I am curious if the Arizona relocation actually has an effect there. We'll see the final numbers, but it sounds like the NHL is buying the Coyotes for 1B, flipping them to Salt Lake for 1.3B, and distrubuting the 'relocation fee' among the owners.

300M/31 teams = 9.67M. More than enough found money for the Pegulas to write off the rest Granato's contract with no cash out of pocket.

Also curious if Bill Armstrong gets let go in Arizona, might be a good guy to grab and replace Adams.
You mistakenly believe that relocation and expansion payoffs are money he would invest in the team. He got that Seattle check and has spent the least amount of money on roster, coaches and staff in the league since. Those checks are money not split with players. And he’s not using it to upgrade shit. They, and the franchises rising value just sitting their doing nothing, are his payment for the grift he’s running on the fans, league and city.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Those granato comments are appalling

This team is right where it started record-wise when adams took over. There has been nothing accomplished. It's all failure as we are 4 years older and nothing to show for it other than beating nashville in the RJ game, and almost qualifying to be in the top 16 of 32 teams that one season.
I like how he said,"Look were we were 2 years ago" Like last year doesn't matter or count. This team has regressed under Granato and he refuses to hold himself accountable. 13 years of missing the playoffs and the guy has no answers.

Granato is a con artist. Kreuger 2.0

Unfortunately he will be here next year. His extension hasn't even kicked in yet.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I like how he said,"Look were we were 2 years ago" Like last year doesn't matter or count. This team has regressed under Granato and he refuses to hold himself accountable. 13 years of missing the playoffs and the guy has no answers.

Unfortunately he will be here next year. His extension hasn't even kicked in yet.
Ultimately it is on Pegula. Adams is his guy. Adams allows Pegula to provide all of his input/ideas and tolerates it. Granato is also comfortable in this environment. Coaches and GMs with any other options would have walked a long time ago. You have others in the front office with no other aspirations such as Nightingale and Crowe. It is amateur hour. Granato is a reflection on Pegula and Adams, and he speaks the same exact way as we heard Housley, Botterill, and Krueger speak (among others). Lots of celebrating fake accomplishments (Botterill rolling out stats of how many games the Sabres were only down 1 goal or tied after 2 periods). Lots of moving the goalposts. Super easy on the players. Over-stating communication. Learning. Growth paths.

This whole thing is a giant stall tactic like the Bills were in the drought/Wilson years. They would do the bare minimum so Russ Brandon could continue to assume control and be the de-facto GM. Any coaches or GMs they could hire were guys with no other options.

Pegula thinks that if they just stick to his plan here, that success will inevitably come. As he and Adams said in their letter to season ticket holders: "success is seldom linear".

I lived the Bills' perpetual stall tactic. Ellis will be the fall guy here and they will outsource the failure on him and the PP. They will save the Granato card until next season at the earliest and if they absolutely need to... they will replace him with Appert. Eventually, Appert will have the interim removed. Appert is another guy with no business sniffing an NHL head coaching job and will just be happy to be there.
I cant even get on Granato that bad because I know the next coach will not be hired in good faith.

This team is so far from being able to compete. It is tough to swallow. They can probably snag a WC spot at some point. Them being able to answer the physicality and intensity of a playoff game (let-alone a series) is fantasy

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Did the team regress this year or was last year just an over achievement and this is what they really are.

Reactions: jc17

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Lindy reunion makes sense on several fronts:

-They apparently like Appert, but rookie dev coach to rookie dev coach is not the answer, so keeps him in Roch.

-Vet coach, which this org needs

-Guy that likes Buffalo

-Marketing BIG win for ticket sales; one youtube vid of Lindy saying 'its time to get Buffalo back in the playoffs' and everyone will go nuts

-did I mention a vet coach? Someone with experience? And who doesn't suck ass by Bylsma did?

This is honestly a no-brainer

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Did the team regress this year or was last year just an over achievement and this is what they really are.
I'd argue they overachieved this year because of unsustainable goaltending. UPL is good but these numbers will almost definitely not carry into next season. Whereas the numbers for Krebs, Cozens, Peterka, Skinner, and Tuch are much more likely to be the same next season as they were this season (Tage, on the other hand, will rebound).

-They apparently like Appert, but rookie dev coach to rookie dev coach is not the answer, so keeps him in Roch.

-Guy that likes Buffalo

-Marketing BIG win for ticket sales; one youtube vid of Lindy saying 'its time to get Buffalo back in the playoffs' and everyone will go nuts

-did I mention a vet coach? Someone with experience? And who doesn't suck ass by Bylsma did?

Has any other team ever brought back a coach after firing them? I know it just happened with a GM, but I'm not aware of it happening with a coach under the same ownership.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd argue they overachieved this year because of unsustainable goaltending. UPL is good but these numbers will almost definitely not carry into next season. Whereas the numbers for Krebs, Cozens, Peterka, Skinner, and Tuch are much more likely to be the same next season as they were this season (Tage, on the other hand, will rebound).

Has any other team ever brought back a coach after firing them? I know it just happened with a GM, but I'm not aware of it happening with a coach under the same ownership.

Paul Maurice in Carolina, Torts in NY (first time was only like 4 games), Jacques Lemaire, and of course recently Jacques Martin in Ottawa. Punch did it for the Leafs too.

None of those circumstances were particularly successful or long-term. Lindy is prone to favoritism as we saw with how he hobbled both Meier and Holtz this year. The PR part is whatever. I'm more interested in how his team's play and there are certainly questions about what he's done with some guys.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Paul Maurice in Carolina, Torts in NY (first time was only like 4 games), Jacques Lemaire, and of course recently Jacques Martin in Ottawa. Punch did it for the Leafs too.

None of those circumstances were particularly successful or long-term. Lindy is prone to favoritism as we saw with how he hobbled both Meier and Holtz this year. The PR part is whatever. I'm more interested in how his team's play and there are certainly questions about what he's done with some guys.
I'm certainly open to it. It seems like most coaches are prone to favoritism, and all but the best 2 or 3 seem to have head scratching decisions sprinkled throughout each season, so I'm willing to look past all of that for his vast experience.

It just feels like going back to date an ex-girlfriend, which always seems doomed from the start.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I'd much rather have him be in the front office as a set of fresh eyes and help with the coaching search.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Isn't that the same thing? If you overachieve one year then underachieve the next your you have regressed from overachieving to underachieving.

You are nitpicking over words just to try and make some silly point that has nothing to do with the actual topic.

You think you gonna find people who don't think this team has regressed? Go for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd much rather have him be in the front office as a set of fresh eyes and help with the coaching search.

I wouldn’t mind him taking the front office job as senior advisor. I just don’t think another year or two behind the bench is necessarily going to turn out well. Who knows maybe it will?

Reactions: oldgoalie

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, let me be clear here, you can appreciate what Granato has done AND want him gone.

Granato did a good job the previous two years. He unlocked Tage Thompson, he oversaw Dahlin's, Cozens, and Peterka's breakouts. He brought Skinner from the worst contract in the league by a wide margin to just a bad contract.

But, last year showed some flaws in his coaching, and this year, teams learned to exploit them. He's not good at in game adjustments, he's not good at game management and matchups.

I will say he is handicapped by the makeup of Adam's roster, so I'll give him some grace there, but in the end, the teams needs have outgrown him.

The team is ready for the next step, Granato is not.

Time to move on and let him get some real NHL experience under a more experienced coach and refine his coaching so he can be ready for the next opportunity and time for us to bring in a new voice to move this team beyond playoff bubble status.

Reactions: kirby11

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Give me all of it.

Granato as head coach
Lindy as assistant works with D and Pk
Appert as assistant works with forwards and PP
Marty Wilford as assistant because I guess players like him?
Mike Bales as assistant/goalie coach

AHL

Vinny Prospal - Head coach, has experience with Czech national team and Czech tier 2 team
Nathan Paetsch - Assistant coach works with D and PK
Tim Kennedy - Assistant coach works with forwards and PP
Seamus Kotyk - Assistant/goalie

See if Okposo wants to come back as a dev coach to fill Kennedy's shoes.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

-Guy that likes Buffalo

Until the team starts 4-6.

If Lindy really is the best guy for on-ice stuff, fine, but we can't call ownership/adams unserious, and then recommend a marketing ploy hire.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Marek talks about Buffalo possibly promoting Appert to HC and have "veteran assistants"

Good lord.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He’s wondering IF they make a coaching change would they go with Appert and vet assistants. It comes across as pure speculation.

I tried to convey that with possibly.. guess I failed.. Didnt mean it to come off as a rumor.

Reactions: joshjull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad