Value of: Don Cherry Suggestion - Marner for Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sayonara, saying Boeser will regularly score 40 goals a season is a bit much. I think you’d be surprised how few players actually accomplish that, and by few I mean very few. He might have the talent to accomplish that, and I think 40 games is a little early to be saying that to begin with, but actually doing it is much tougher. You’re basically saying he’ll be competing for the Rocket every season, or damn close to it.

JayKnowsHockey

Nov 27, 2017
Such a stupid thread

There’s 2 really simple things that would eliminate 95% of these post. Anybody who knows anything about hockey knows

1) Leafs are never trading Marner for Gudbranson. Literally never.

2) Boeser is a really good player even tho it’s only been a handful of games

All this other crap is trolls trolling.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's been proven that unless your name is Steven Stamkos, you're not going to shoot over 15% for an extended period of time; even a guy like Kuch is one shot from falling away from 15% over the past two years.
I repeat: Paul Byron is at 21.2% for the last 2.5 seasons (since he was picked up on waivers).

Is he the exception that proves the rule ?

Also, Kucherov is at 17.0% (16.96% to be exact) over the last 2 seasons.

He would need to not score with his next 52 shots to go under 15%.

Who misled you ?

Why did you not bother the check your facts.

PS: My facts are from Nikita Kucherov Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I repeat: Paul Byron is at 21.2% for the last 2.5 seasons (since he was picked up on waivers).

Who misled you ?

Filtered out a certain amount of shots for Byron. Also, if you looked at my other post, I got the Kucherov information from a tweet.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Yeah, 1/3 of Byron's shots are breakaways, no wonder he has a high shooting % lol.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Who misled you ?

Byron averages about a shot per game. That’s basically your answer right there. That’s also why he had 30 goals over that span, despite playing a full season and nearly 70 games of the other.

As for Kucherov, you’re leaning pretty heavily on his 18+% shooting percentage that he has this season. Last season he was 2% below that. He’s not going to maintain those numbers either, certainly not over many seasons.

Stamkos is the only guy that comes to mind who regularly exceeds the 15-16% mark. For everyone else, it’s not something they can consistently maintain.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Tbh I'm almost as embarrassed for you as I am for that Sayonara guy.

Embarassed you say ?

The numbers you quoted from that twitter are for his career.

What you wrote is the following; "even a guy like Kuch is one shot from falling away from 15% over the past two years."

Did you note the "over the past two years" part... ?

Try again.

PS: Here is your full post:

"Have you seen the guy's who said they would only "consider" trading him for Matthews. As if Benning wouldn't pick up Boeser himself and drive him to Toronto.

I agree those are absolutely factors, but those are only "what ifs". It's been proven that unless your name is Steven Stamkos, you're not going to shoot over 15% for an extended period of time; even a guy like Kuch is one shot from falling away from 15% over the past two years. So let's pretend like Boeser ends up shooting 15% next season (which is still very high), with a high but not unreasonable 3 shots per game. That would mean he scores 37 goals next year. That right there is probably a top-5 goal scoring season.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how good a guy's shot is (his is amazing), teams and goalies are still going to figure out how to stop it. He's either going to have to become an elite shot generator (like Ovechkin), or a guy who's accuracy/HD chances will be able to make up for his deficiency in shot generation (Stamkos, Laine).

I've watched him, and I've seen what he's made of. For me I think he's got a great chance to have a Jeff Skinner-type career (which is fantastic), with an outside chance of being better. For goalscorers though, you need to see either the shot generation or the HD chance generation get to elite territory before I think of them as having the elite potential. "

Reactions: Sayonara77

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Byron averages about a shot per game. That’s basically your answer right there. That’s also why he had 30 goals over that span, despite playing a full season and nearly 70 games of the other.

As for Kucherov, you’re leaning pretty heavily on his 18+% shooting percentage that he has this season. Last season he was 2% below that. He’s not going to maintain those numbers either, certainly not over many seasons.

Stamkos is the only guy that comes to mind who regularly exceeds the 15-16% mark. For everyone else, it’s not something they can consistently maintain.
You'll probably have noted that I never claimed that Byron was of the same caliber.

As for Kucherov, the poster I was responding to falsely claimed that he was 1 shot away from going under 15% over the last 2 seasons. That's why I posted his numbers from those seasons.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Don Cherry said something outlandish to get attention?

In other groundbreaking news, salt is salty. More at 11.

No, he didn't say the Leafs should do it.
He said it would cost Marner or Brown (I think) and the Leafs aren't going to do that.
But that he loves Gudbranson.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You'll probably have noted that I never claimed that Byron was of the same caliber.

As for Kucherov, the poster I was responding to falsely claimed that he was 1 shot away from going under 15% over the last 2 seasons. That's why I posted his numbers from those seasons.

What I noticed was you brought Byron up as evidence. Of what, exactly, I’m not sure since you seem to be trying to make an argument that high shooting percentages are sustainable.

I’m not going to speak for another poster. I’m sure he can make his own arguments. I happen to agree with his point, or at least the point I’m getting, which is that Boeser’s shooting percentage will drop. Just like Matthews’ will. Just like Kucherov’s will. It may not even happen this season, but those aren’t numbers that players can be expected to maintain year after year.

Stamkos is a freak with his shooting percentage, and it’s kind of insane how much higher his numbers are than anyone else, in that regard. I suppose it’s possible someone else could have that kind of magic touch, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Reactions: Cotton

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Tbh I'm almost as embarrassed for you as I am for that Sayonara guy.

You should feel embarrassed for yourself tbh.

The fact we already said he won't sustain his high shooting percentage but will make it up for other areas as he improves, seems to always go over your head for some apparent reason.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Cherry is bringing attention to the value of DMen that would require a player like Marner. So it doesn’t mean a trade that will happen.

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
There isn’t anyone on the leafs worth Boeser outside of Matthews. Who’s worth more.

There isn’t any 2 players from the rest of those spare parts I’d take for Boeser

Reactions: travis scott

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The reason I say Skinner is because I believe they will have similar careers, but will come to it in different ways. Skinner is more volume than accuracy (opposite of Boeser), but I think that like Skinner, Boeser will average around 30-35 goals/season with about as many assists because their primary concern is putting the puck in the net. Skinner creates his chances with his fantastic skating. We'll see in the future if and how Boeser creates his.

Out of curiosity, how many games have you watched Boeser play?

You seem to be grossly underrating his hockey IQ and his creativity and distribution skills. Like, by a very large margin.

I believe you have poured over many statistics but I'm genuinely curious how much you've actually watched him play.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You should feel embarrassed for yourself tbh.

The fact we already said he won't sustain his high shooting percentage but will make it up for other areas as he improves, seems to always go over your head for some apparent reason.

in their world

Boeser will never play more than 16:40/game average.
Boeser will never play with a playmakering centre.
Boeser will never get faster etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad