Value of: Don Cherry Suggestion - Marner for Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Boeser has more career goals then Marner in 73 fewer games. I get that Gudbranson is in no way ample compensation for Marner, but what incentive is there to trade Boeser for Marner for us?

Gudbranson could be available, but he is our only physical presence. Is Marner available? I don't mean at a "for a huge over payment" kind of available, but has he fallen way way way out of favor so soon?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Remember when Jake Virtanen was worth more than William Nylander?

LMAO

No. Most of us hated the pick, as Virtanen was a consensus choice as 8th or 9th. You're remembering things incorrectly if you think Canucks fans were fawning over Jake (no offense to the guy). I can remember a number of Leafs fans in the Tanev threads telling us Kapanen would be better and was more valuable then Boeser however.

Reactions: lawrence

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The word hyperbole came to mind when he made that statement to be honest.

I was listening to the broadcast when he said it and it didn’t seem at all like hyperbole to me. He mentioned Gud as a desirable target and said “but that’s gonna cost a good kid like Brown or even Marner”. I felt fairly certain he was being 100% literal and 0% hyperbolic.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Honestly., it seemed to me Don Cherry almost mentioned this trade possibility under his breath when he said it and seemed in between thoughts. I believe he even said "it would cost Marner or something".

Edit: Just listened to it online and he said "We would have to give up Brown or Marner or something like that" in a casual in-between-thought way. The thread title makes it sound like Cherry was gung ho cheer leading this trade. He was stammering his head in an "I don't know" kind a way when he said it.

I think some people just love bashing Cherry for the sake of it. I have made some spur of the moment dim-witted trade suggestions to my buddies at the bar on occasion. No big deal and not thread worthy IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel Culper III

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Boeser, aka the most overrated player in the NHL. Let's watch what people think when the guy stops shooting at a 20%+ clip with a 10.5 oish%. It's not like he's a great playmaker, or has good underlying stats. It's called a hot streak.

I can't believe the wave this guys riding. No way I'd trade Nylander/Marner for him. Hell I'd most likely keep Kadri in a one for one.
You just lost all credibility with those statements, complete hogwash coming out of your rear end there, I wouldn’t expect anything less though, the magnetic pull from the center of the earth is probably effectingbrain waves.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Marner is way overrated from a hot first year. He does not have that big of an impact on the game. The value isn't far off.

Lets wait for Gudbranson to get traded for a pile of meh, and then you can say the same thing. Maybe you might even be able to do so with a straight face. I doubt it, but I suppose anything can happen.

Alfredo Garcia

Jan 10, 2014
Vancouver
I always thought threads got shut down when they went so far off topic? This one seems to be more about bickering over Boeser and his shooting % than anything else.

Regardless, to the oringal point, Gudbranson does not fetch the Canucks Marner straight up, regardless of any regression on Marner's part. I agree with those who've mentioned that Marner has been somewhat sheltered and is not being given huge mins with really good linemates. Everything I read always mentions Leaf fans being pissed he's not being played up in the lineup more but I think the Leafs are bringing him along slowly. I don't think for a second that he's suddenly a 40-50pt player moving forward and would take him on the Canucks in a heartbeat, for the right price (which is not Boeser, at least not today, though the value is likely much closer than a lot of Canucks fans would seem to think).

Gudbranson has value, but not as much as a former 3rd overall dman should have. He's on a "show me" contract, and has failed to show anyone much of anything. If he wasn't a pending UFA, I'd prefer that they keep him as he won't fetch the value he really should, however, it's my opinion that he is much better than what he's shown this year. Maybe it's chemistry with the team or his d partner(s), maybe it's just a bad season, who knows? But he was better than this in Florida at a younger age! Sadly, the Canucks will not get great value for him, but then again, even though they gave up more than they got, McCann really didn't turn out to be a loss so it comes down to a couple picks?

Reactions: Raymoondo

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Hmmm Gudbranson for Marner, seems like a pretty objective no for most hockey fans. I wonder how there are 7 pages of discussion?

*Click*

Ah yes. It's a Boeser vs Marner thread now. Just so.

Reactions: lawrence

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Didn't Cherry call Gudbranson "Gudbranski" or something like that a couple years ago?

The Leafs would have to have an implosion in every sense of the word before they even entertain the idea of Marner for Gudbranson.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
soooo do we have a bid war going on? :popcorn:

The best known offer with valid source was Jason Demers straight up for him, but he declined a trade to Vancity :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad