Confirmed with Link: Dominik Simon 1yr 700k

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Simon has good analytics and makes pretty passes but can't score to save his life. Because of that, combined with Sullivan's penchant for putting him on the top line despite that fact, made Pens fans happy to see him go. But I think you got a good depth player on a great deal

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Hoping he’s more of a 13th F. It would be nice to give Gawdin a shot in the bottom 6 as I think there is potentially more offence there.

Dube/Mangiapane - Bennett - Gawdin
Lucic/Simon - Ryan - Nordstrom
Simon is a much better option than Lucic, Nordstrom, Gawdin, Rinaldo and Robinson. He’ll be on the 3rd line imo.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Simon is a much better option than Lucic, Nordstrom, Gawdin, Rinaldo and Robinson. He’ll be on the 3rd line imo.
Yeah I doubt that. According to Pens fans he’s completely useless in anything but a top line role. Doesn’t PK so Nordstrom deserves to be a regular over him just based on that. Lucic is bad for what he’s paid, but realistically he put up comparable numbers to Simon without being gifted time with two of the best players in the world and brings an element of toughness (I’d have no problem with Lucic being the 13th, but something tells me that won’t happen). Gawdin has proven he merits a shot to play too, but it remains to be seen who really is the better option, but I do have high hopes for Gawdin.

Rinaldo and Robinson, sure. But there’s a reason neither of them are in the 8 forwards I mentioned for the bottom 6.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Plenty of people saying Simon is a high IQ option for the bottom six, which should make him an ideal line mate for Ryan. Put the two of them with a motor like Nordstrom and I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised by our fourth line’s effectiveness next year.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Yeah I doubt that. According to Pens fans he’s completely useless in anything but a top line role. Doesn’t PK so Nordstrom deserves to be a regular over him just based on that. Lucic is bad for what he’s paid, but realistically he put up comparable numbers to Simon without being gifted time with two of the best players in the world and brings an element of toughness (I’d have no problem with Lucic being the 13th, but something tells me that won’t happen). Gawdin has proven he merits a shot to play too, but it remains to be seen who really is the better option, but I do have high hopes for Gawdin.

Rinaldo and Robinson, sure. But there’s a reason neither of them are in the 8 forwards I mentioned for the bottom 6.
So you’re just taking the words of Penguins fans without knowing anything yourself, gotcha. That’s enough to not bother responding seriously.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
So you’re just taking the words of Penguins fans without knowing anything yourself, gotcha. That’s enough to not bother responding seriously.
Ummm, nope. Wrong again.

I can form my own opinions but secondary information never hurts.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
That's not very fun at all.

Is this just a filler signing or is there potential upside?

Gr8t upside. Could see him jumping from 4th to 3rd line pretty easily. Secondary scoring threat if he fits with linemates, coaching, dressing room roster and plays with a finisher! Good playmaker, shifty and jumps into Offense smartly when opportunity arises.
Good skater and can be a top 6 player when he is engaged, confidence is showing and with quality linemates. He could be a surprise fit with Dube & Benny? Or even LW with Backs & Lindy. Put Tkachuk up RW with Money & Johnny.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Still have a grand total of two NHL forwards total that shoot right.

RW Lindholm
C Ryan
RW Phillips
RW Zavgorodniy
RW Robinson
C Gawdin

The team badly needs the prospect types to make the team. I assume that's the plan though, and these cheapo left shot forward guys are here just to be that fake training camp competition / injury depth.

we're hooped if Nordstrom, Simon etc are contrived regulars

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Ummm, nope. Wrong again.

I can form my own opinions but secondary information never hurts.
Well in that case I'd have to respectfully disagree. He was being forced to play on the 1st line when thats not the role he should ever been close to. He has very high hockey IQ and is a very good fore checker, and he never stops his motor. I dont see how you could list any of those guys above him unless you know something I don't.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
RW Lindholm
C Ryan
RW Phillips
RW Zavgorodniy
RW Robinson
C Gawdin

The team badly needs the prospect types to make the team. I assume that's the plan though, and these cheapo left shot forward guys are here just to be that fake training camp competition / injury depth.

The way Bruins fans speak about Nordstrom I would not be mad if he was a regular in the line up. He regularly slotted into a pretty good Bruins team.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ugh..... And I was glad to know I didnt have to see Crosby drag his useless corpse around the ice anymore. Thanks Tre. :whatever:

Hes pretty useless. He doesnt create his own offense, doesnt PK and is soft on the puck. Id rather have Lucic in over him. The only good thing about this contract is that its only 700k and 1 year. Hes a replacement level player. Anyone excepting anything more is in for a rude shock. He barely produced stapled to Sid and Jakes hips.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Ugh..... And I was glad to know I didnt have to see Crosby drag his useless corpse around the ice anymore. Thanks Tre. :whatever:

Hes pretty useless. He doesnt create his own offense, doesnt PK and is soft on the puck. Id rather have Lucic in over him. The only good thing about this contract is that its only 700k and 1 year. Hes a replacement level player. Anyone excepting anything more is in for a rude shock. He barely produced stapled to Sid and Jakes hips.

As I posted yesterday in the main thread, while Simon definitely doesn't have the greatest shot and won't be counted on much to put the puck in the back of the net, he is one of the better passers in the NHL, ranking in the 93rd percentile last season and the 86th percentile over the last 3 seasons since he's been in the league when it comes to shot-assists.

He's also proven to be very effective at controlled entries and exits, while not being a liability defensively.

Very solid addition to the bottom 6. Especially at league minimum.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As I posted yesterday in the main thread, while Simon definitely doesn't have the greatest shot and won't be counted on much to put the puck in the back of the net, he is one of the better passers in the NHL, ranking in the 93rd percentile last season and the 86th percentile over the last 3 seasons since he's been in the league when it comes to shot-assists.

He's also proven to be very effective at controlled entries and exits, while not being a liability defensively.

Very solid addition to the bottom 6. Especially at league minimum.
And stats tell everything right? He has spent the majority of his NHL time stapled to the Pens top line, where he was barely serviceable. When he wasnt there he was next to useless. Hes going to bounce in and out of the Flames lineup and rightfully so. The fancy stats argument does not hold water with him, just like AA was going to score 30 goals next to McDavid. :eyeroll:

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
And stats tell everything right? He has spent the majority of his NHL time stapled to the Pens top line, where he was barely serviceable. When he wasnt there he was next to useless. Hes going to bounce in and out of the Flames lineup and rightfully so. The fancy stats argument does not hold water with him, just like AA was going to score 30 goals next to McDavid. :eyeroll:

It's not his fault that he was forced to play above his skill-level. According to Penguins fans, it was a combination of Crosby wanting to play with him and Sullivan having crazy trust in him.

So when the best player in the world wants to play with you and your head coach trusts you so much, you kinda don't refuse the opportunity...

No one is expecting him to be anything more than a 3rd-4th line forward, but he's clearly someone players like to play with and someone that can be trusted out on the ice. By all accounts, he's an above-replacement level player and is a solid depth addition. Especially at league minimum.

As for AA, very weird argument to bring up. The guy has never had good "fancy stats" and plays a completely different game than Simon in the sense that AA is a pure north-south shooter with no other talents.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary

Was he the one who shot the puck, because we have a lot of those chest shooters already...

1*BkCrvdcFGk1Vr0gSdG-MGQ.png

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
RW Lindholm
C Ryan
RW Phillips
RW Zavgorodniy
RW Robinson
C Gawdin

Think that's a lot less likely now with the Leivo signing. If it's close coming out of camp head coaches usually defer to the player with experience. I like Phillips the most out of the bubble guys but Gawdin probably has the inside track there because of his size and more of a bottom 6 skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad