Confirmed with Link: Dominik Simon 1yr 700k

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Means that we won't have to be running total garbage on our 4th line anymore either and actually have some alright depth:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Simon-Bennett-Dube
Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
That's not very fun at all.

Is this just a filler signing or is there potential upside?
Potential upside, put up good points in Pittsburgh but was the victim of not getting a QO and looking elsewhere. Gives actual competition within the bottom 6 for a role, and gives us an actual player to play over Lucic on the third line

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Potential upside, put up good points in Pittsburgh but was the victim of not getting a QO and looking elsewhere. Gives actual competition within the bottom 6 for a role, and gives us an actual player to play over Lucic on the third line

Worth noting that his point total is inflated by who he was playing with. Simon's inability to finish or set-up plays while getting repeated chances on Sid's wing is as good of a reason to non-tender a player as any. That aside, Simon is a really solid signing at this total non-cap hit so long as he's used as a plug & play winger around the line-up, rather than in any singular role. His game doesn't fit the traditional bottom six role, but lacks the finish to be in the top six. He can play on any line, but I wouldn't necessarily want him as a permanent member of any of them either. Shoulder is a concern, but he already had one of the worst shots in the league so I wouldn't worry about it getting much worse as long as he can still be a competent playmaker. He does a lot of the little things that coaches love right, so at least he's not one of those guys who is useless when not producing...the skill set just hasn't coalesced into a sustainable role yet.

As a Penguins fan I'd be ecstatic to have Simon on the roster for $700k...if we had a different coach. He was given too many chances in too large of a role with consistently mediocre to poor results for that to continue. A fresh start was a necessity and he can be a solid player, but one look at his stat line and who his most common linemates were (Crosby-Guentzel, Malkin-Guentzel) paints an effective picture of a player whose role was larger than their skillset. He's not Pascal Dupuis or Carl Hagelin, no matter how much Sullivan utilized him as such, but that doesn't mean he can't be efficient in a smaller role.

As for the Chris Simon stuff...spelled the same, pronounced completely differently. si-MOAN.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm getting Curtis Lazar vibes from what I'm reading about him... Thoughts?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Hoping he’s more of a 13th F. It would be nice to give Gawdin a shot in the bottom 6 as I think there is potentially more offence there.

Dube/Mangiapane - Bennett - Gawdin
Lucic/Simon - Ryan - Nordstrom

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Awful shooter but is great at creating plays, be prepared to curse at him when he shoots though lol.

Good price, he is definitely worth more than that.

Please, I watched Lombardi for years shoot at a goalies chest on a breakaway.

I've also had the (dis)pleasure of watching Bennett develop over the years and his shot is also hot garbage.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Drew the ire of some of our fans but he’s a very good hockey player that stands out in a positive way. Smart, skilled. Isn’t physical but solid on the boards, good puck retrieval guy, good playmaker down low. Really can help you sustain a cycle. Cant score goals but puts himself in spots where he gets chances, so it’s frustrating.

But, imo.. his biggest issue was he’d look really good up the lineup (ex: was kind of Sullivan’s “fix” for busting Sid’s line out of a mediocre performance) but then became very meh and was a non factor on the lower lines.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad