Confirmed with Link: Domi signs extension 2y 3.15M per

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Galchenyuk himself was on a “show me” contract.
It's funny how Galchenyuk is seen as an established star by some here. We need to be clear, Galchenyuk thus far has been a highly inconsistant winger who has averaged 0.61ppg over 6 NHL seasons. Domi averaged that over 3 NHL seasons himself, is younger, and has a way better contract situation.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Just a thought, but after tavares apperently spends the weekend in mtl with Weber we clear cap with a trade that's supposedly been on the table for months.

With this deal and if the cap goes to 80 mil as projected we have 19.1 mil in space (23.6 if patches traded). Hypothetically if we sign tavares for 11 and trade for ror as rumored we'd still have 5.1 mil remaining in cap with danualt/de la rose and a ld to sign.

Reactions: Umbrella

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
My guess is they feel AG will be gone in 2 years anyway.

There's been talk about potential extracurricular stuff with AG but not confirmed.

There's a chance AG didn't like his spot either.

AG has not been favored by MT or CJ.
I guess that has some reasoning there. Looking at Max Domi's new contract I can see he will still be an RFA at the end of it, which is nice, so I guess Bergevin sees it as 2+ years of Domi vs max 2 years of Galchenyuk.

Man though, it still seems like the Habs could have gotten more for Galchenyuk though. He scored 30 goals before; that has to be at least worth a 2C on the open market. Anyone know if Domi has ever played Centre before? Could Bergevin be thinking he could slot in at C?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why’s the cap floor at again? Someone should let the Habs know before we trade Weber for a late round 1st and Price for some mid tier prospects.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
So your excusing Bergevin?? It’s the provinces fault, that is what you are saying.
Of course not, Bergevin is a fraudster. All I'm saying is you never put yourself in a position where you need to depend on a high-profile UFA to become the saviour of your team because that means that you've already failed. Something about that old adage about building through the draft and all...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who are teams going to worry about from distance? Weber.

There's no one-timer option on the half-wall now with Galchenyuk gone. There's no one that goalies have to beware from distance.

Like even if you look at it as if they were trying to build a team to win, which they think they are but they're doing the opposite, the pieces don't fit.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's funny how Galchenyuk is seen as an established star by some here. We need to be clear, Galchenyuk thus far has been a highly inconsistant winger who has averaged 0.61ppg over 6 NHL seasons. Domi averaged that over 3 NHL seasons himself, is younger, and has a way better contract situation.

Just to be clear, this was a money saving move and nothing more. Ever since we landed Weber, and signed Price to that horrendous contract, that kicks in this year, we can't have nice things. Everything is about clearing space for 2 f***ing contracts. Oh, little Geoffy and the GM with a GED will tell you otherwise, but its obvious. Radulov, Markov... 2 more victims of getting ready for these long term handicapping trades and signings.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
To be fair, we got a guy on a show me contract for a guy on a 'I'm leaving after this' contract.

We can also be fair in saying the "I'm leaving after this" contract was built over the years by MB and crew. Like the Price contract, he screwed over himself.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Just a thought, but after tavares apperently spends the weekend in mtl with Weber we clear cap with a trade that's supposedly been on the table for months.

With this deal and if the cap goes to 80 mil as projected we have 19.1 mil in space (23.6 if patches traded). Hypothetically if we sign tavares for 11 and trade for ror as rumored we'd still have 5.1 mil remaining in cap with danualt/de la rose and a ld to sign.
There’s ZERO proof he spent the weekend in Montreal

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Looking at the contracts, helps swallow the deal. Save close to 2M a over the next 2 years, by which time Galchenyuk will be a UFA while Domi will be a RFA.

Galchenyuk turning UFA at 26 is a 100% due to Bergevin's mismanagement though.

Not only did he get poor value on the trade, but he effectively tanked the value of his asset beforehand.

As for Domi, this is a good contract.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Thanks captain obvious but that's why I wrote apperently. Also pierre McGuire did say so on the radio earlier this week.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I am not a Habs fan, but would someone here mind explaining this for me, because on the surface this trade doen't seem to make a lot of sense. What exactly is Montreal's reasoning here? Because from my perspective it looks like they traded away a a 20-30 goal scoring winger (age 24) for a 10 goal scoring winger (age 23)... which on the surface doesn't seem to make sense, especially because they still didn't get a Centre out of the deal. They signed Domi to $1.7 million less then Galchenyuk; was that the primary reason for this trade, to clear cap space? The only way I can see this making sense is if Bergevin needed the extra money to be able to throw at Tavares.

Any Habs fan have an inkling what the logic is behind this move?

Our GM is a high school dropout that has a double digit IQ. He is only accountable to one person. That person is the owner who also happens to be the dumbest son of a wealthy family, placed in this position because it was thought this is one thing you can’t f*ck up. But he’s been proving us wrong every day. The double digit man surrounded himself with other double digit men, who all agreed with his backwards moves in exchange for big money. The owner wanting to fit in and be one of the boys signed off on every move, and here we are.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Great contract. Still two RFA years after. That’s probably the selling point vs. Galchenyuk who is making $4.9 and will be UFA.

Terrible, terrible contract. A guy coming off ELC had no leverage. Bergevin just gave Domi 10% more money than he gave Subban on his bridge deal.

He is being paid just $600k less than Gallagher got for a 6-year deal that ate up two years of UFA.

The GM is literally lost.

What's he going to pay Danault? $6M??

Guy needs to be fired yesterday before the team ends up in last place for the next five years.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I am not a Habs fan, but would someone here mind explaining this for me, because on the surface this trade doen't seem to make a lot of sense. What exactly is Montreal's reasoning here? Because from my perspective it looks like they traded away a a 20-30 goal scoring winger (age 24) for a 10 goal scoring winger (age 23)... which on the surface doesn't seem to make sense, especially because they still didn't get a Centre out of the deal. They signed Domi to $1.7 million less then Galchenyuk; was that the primary reason for this trade, to clear cap space? The only way I can see this making sense is if Bergevin needed the extra money to be able to throw at Tavares.

Any Habs fan have an inkling what the logic is behind this move?

Bit of a stretch to call AG a 20/30 and Domi just a 9. Domi has a 18/34 roomie season and career wise has identical ppg production. He had 38 in 59 two years ago, Folks around here will tell you AG is going to blossum in AZ but I’m not sure he has it. I think at this point in both their careers they are similar players production wise - AG obviously a better goal scorer. AG better upside. Domi a fairly safe bet to get back to 15/35. Domi deal better terms, AG was 100% leaving at end of term.

Having said all that, I don’t get the trade either and don’t see how this moves us ahead. I have no love for the player AG became - lead feet, sluggish, soft, one dimensional - but I would have liked to see an upgrade on D or at C. We have pretty good wingers even without AG so not sure why go position for position.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bit of a stretch to call AG a 20/30 and Domi just a 9. Domi has a 18/34 roomie season and career wise has identical ppg production. He had 38 in 59 two years ago, Folks around here will tell you AG is going to blossum in AZ but I’m not sure he has it. I think at this point in both their careers they are similar players production wise - AG obviously a better goal scorer. AG better upside. Domi a fairly safe bet to get back to 15/35. Domi deal better terms, AG was 100% leaving at end of term.

Having said all that, I don’t get the trade either and don’t see how this moves us ahead. I have no love for the player AG became - lead feet, sluggish, soft, one dimensional - but I would have liked to see an upgrade on D or at C. We have pretty good wingers even without AG so not sure why go position for position.

Domi is a good hockey player, everyone looked lost in AZ. But why make a trade if we aren't going to be better after it? Why not just trade AG for a 1st, or at least a C.. and why not blow this thing up? Whats the point?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Terrible, terrible contract. A guy coming off ELC had no leverage. Bergevin just gave Domi 10% more money than he gave Subban on his bridge deal.

He is being paid just $600k less than Gallagher got for a 6-year deal that ate up two years of UFA.

Guy needs to be fired yesterday before the team ends up in last place for the next five years.

Come on man

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

How is $3m a terrible contract?

Reactions: HankyZetts

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Uh, the Gally deal is one of the biggest steals in recent history. And Domi has similar production at same point in career and is coming in under. You really think 3mm in todays cap world for a .6 ppg 23 YO is a rip off? What should he have offered, 1.5?

And if this is the baseling for Daneault, then how does that translate to 6mm? Did I miss a season where Phil put up 40/40?

MB should absolute be fired but not because of this extension. Bridge at 3mm for a 45-50 point player is pretty good cap management.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Our GM is a high school dropout that has a double digit IQ. He is only accountable to one person. That person is the owner who also happens to be the dumbest son of a wealthy family, placed in this position because it was thought this is one thing you can’t f*ck up. But he’s been proving us wrong every day. The double digit man surrounded himself with other double digit men, who all agreed with his backwards moves in exchange for big money. The owner wanting to fit in and be one of the boys signed off on every move, and here we are.

Not an MB fan but what does being a high school dropout have to do with anything? You go to school to get a good job and MB has probably made more cash and been more succeful than 99.99% of people on this board. He was in the nhl for 20 years and when he retired was actually top 100 ever in games played. He's also gone from scout to GM of one of the most successful sports franchises ever in 10 years.

I hate his trades also but its idiotic to poke at his academic/career decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad