3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Well then when they start going in I'll have far less to complain about.

But as is, I see yet another year where we won't score enough to hang with the big boys.

I'd love for that to change and for Kakko and Laf to be 60 point scorers at least.

And one of the reasons for that is a lack of high end scoring talent.
There's less than zero chance Laf and Kakko will score 60 points as Rangers ever because they'll never be on PP1 consistently enough to be able to do it. At this rate they'll have to struggle to reach 40 points again because all their meaningful ice time is 5v5.

I'm pretty much about to give up on that whole situation and just be whatever about it at this point.

Reactions: mas0764

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
They barely put up points with these same players at EV that they would work with on PP1. This argument is inane! They would just defer the f*** out of themselves to set up Lord Tofu for his one- timer because that's always the set piece!
Laf scored 35 even strength points last season as a 21 year old. With 15:13 ATOI. He's productive with his time. Scoring at even strength will never feel as consistent. If he were locked on PP1 he'd have been able to produce at least 15 or more PP points. He could've been a 50-60 point player last year. With the guys he's playing with at even strength this season, if he'd even be considered for PP1 he could be a 60+ point player this season. As a 22 year old. The PP time is extremely important for offensive players. Without it they're relegated to role players.

Freaking Prucha scored 30 goals because Renney had the brains to plant him on PP1 with Jagr. You're telling me Prucha was more gifted than Lafreniere? Just put him on PP1 let him gain the confidence. Without that he's only ever going to be what he is now. I don't think anyone wants that.

Reactions: CLW and will1066

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Laf scored 35 even strength points last season as a 21 year old. With 15:13 ATOI. He's productive with his time. Scoring at even strength will never feel as consistent. If he were locked on PP1 he'd have been able to produce at least 15 or more PP points. He could've been a 50-60 point player last year. With the guys he's playing with at even strength this season, if he'd even be considered for PP1 he could be a 60+ point player this season. As a 22 year old. The PP time is extremely important for offensive players. Without it they're relegated to role players.

Freaking Prucha scored 30 goals because Renney had the brains to plant him on PP1 with Jagr. You're telling me Prucha was more gifted than Lafreniere? Just put him on PP1 let him gain the confidence. Without that he's only ever going to be what he is now. I don't think anyone wants that.
You can believe what you want to believe. Prucha could snipe. Laf gets his goals in front of the goal mouth. Again, think about the way PP1 operates. Laf would be where, on the half wall? Bumper? Those two spots don't get any action. The puck goes to the left circle for Zib, or it is shot from the back by Panarin or Fox with Kreider in front.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I wasn't one of those people who thought it was an effort related problem. They got beaten by a better team. For me, them being outplayed didn't mean they were lazy or didn't put in the effort. It was subsequently revealed that they didn't have a real preparation or system that they could depend on. They craved a coaching staff that could provide it, and Gallant was fired. I believe that they took the first 2 games because the Devils underestimated them and subsequently clamped down their defensive coverage. Then all of a sudden we were supposed to think that they went from world beaters in the first 2 to being lazy or lacking killer instinct. At the same time, no team could give a 60-minute effort, game in and game out.

Also in games 1, 2 and even 3, it looked like the Devils were playing what they thought was "playoff hockey". Trying the "toffness" and going out of their way to lay out checks. It not only took them out of position to no gain, but it also gave the Rangers PPs which were converted. Panthers did the same thing in the '21 playoffs against TBL to their demise. Once the Devils started playing their actual game style, the Rangers weren't prepared to adjust to the speed.

Also have to point out how different everything looks if the Rangers win game 3 in OT. Wasn't like they won the first two games and then got blown out in game 3.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Also in games 1, 2 and even 3, it looked like the Devils were playing what they thought was "playoff hockey". Trying the "toffness" and going out of their way to lay out checks. It not only took them out of position to no gain, but it also gave the Rangers PPs which were converted. Panthers did the same thing in the '21 playoffs against TBL to their demise. Once the Devils started playing their actual game style, the Rangers weren't prepared to adjust to the speed.

Also have to point out how different everything looks if the Rangers win game 3 in OT. Wasn't like they won the first two games and then got blown out in game 3.
The Devils ate them alive in the neutral zone and with their transition. They weren't lackadaisical. They simply could not keep up.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
You can believe what you want to believe. Prucha could snipe. Laf gets his goals in front of the goal mouth. Again, think about the way PP1 operates. Laf would be where, on the half wall? Bumper? Those two spots don't get any action. The puck goes to the left circle for Zib, or it is shot from the back by Panarin or Fox with Kreider in front.
I honestly don't really care where Laf is put on the PP, as long as he's there, getting touches, thinking the game offensively in the O zone. It's free O zone time, free puck possession, with the other top players on the team. No D responsibility. It's the best way for all young forwards to grow confidence. It's where all the top young forwards in the league boost their stats and confidence. It has nothing to do with what I believe its a fact. Look around the league. The biggest difference between Laf's time in the NHL and his peers is they've all been on PP1 since day one and he's yet to be put there. And yes, take Trocheck off PP1. He doesn't need to be there. He had 9 PP goals last year. Laf had as many EV goals as Trocheck and Trocheck was gifted the entire season with Panarin at EV and PP and the most he could do was the same amount of goals as "bust" Lafreniere at EV and only 9 PP goals. Laf could score 9 goals on the PP while sleepwalking. He had 3 with minimal time on the PP. He couldn't have scored 6 more with the time Trocheck got? If Zibanejad can't win a face off on PP1 he shouldn't be a center at all. He would be fine taking the face off.

Reactions: CLW and will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I honestly don't really care where Laf is put on the PP, as long as he's there, getting touches, thinking the game offensively in the O zone. It's free O zone time, free puck possession, with the other top players on the team. No D responsibility. It's the best way for all young forwards to grow confidence. It's where all the top young forwards in the league boost their stats and confidence. It has nothing to do with what I believe its a fact. Look around the league. The biggest difference between Laf's time in the NHL and his peers is they've all been on PP1 since day one and he's yet to be put there. And yes, take Trocheck off PP1. He doesn't need to be there. He had 9 PP goals last year. Laf had as many EV goals as Trocheck and Trocheck was gifted the entire season with Panarin at EV and PP and the most he could do was the same amount of goals as "bust" Lafreniere at EV and only 9 PP goals. Laf could score 9 goals on the PP while sleepwalking. He had 3 with minimal time on the PP. He couldn't have scored 6 more with the time Trocheck got? If Zibanejad can't win a face off on PP1 he shouldn't be a center at all. He would be fine taking the face off.
Complete speculation on your part on how many goals he'd have. But if you want him to gain confidence and have more offensive touches, that's fair enough.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Complete speculation on your part on how many goals he'd have. But if you want him to gain confidence and have more offensive touches, that's fair enough.
It's speculation but you have to look at the rate he produces at even strength and just logically come to a conclusion. He's been one of the team's more productive players at even strength since his rookie season. He doesn't really have a choice. But if he's doing it at even strength when it's exponentially more difficult to score points, and consistency is more random, then it stands to reason he'd eventually start producing on PP1 where a lopsided amount of time is spent set up in the O zone with puck possession and a much better supporting cast than he's typically on the ice with.

All I'm asking for is for him to be given that chance. He's never been given it. And it's a waste of 1 overall pick. Teams that waste high picks, two consecutive high picks, don't win Cups. If the Rangers do it would be a miracle and an anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad