Does this tournament mean anything to Russia?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The FIFA World Cup was established because football started to become a professional sport in the 1920s and professional players were not allowed to compete in the Olympics. In European hockey there never was this problem, as it was and is only about the NHL but not about domestic professional leagues.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If Canada had won the final game in 1994, Canadians would have partied and celebrated that the same way they did in 2002.

Olympic Gold is still Olympic Gold, NHL involvement or no NHL involvement.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Haha. A lot of Canadians are becoming very insecure over this tournament. We're used to winning most of the time, and being the heavy favourite. It's hilarious how many of us need to remind ourselves that "this tournament isn't real!" just in case we come up short. I also find it funny how everyone has secretly made Russia into this tournament's villain, and everyone would love to see them fail. They have the 2nd best league in the world besides the NHL? So what? Good for them, that's good for hockey.

Everybody still wants their country to win, NHL players or not, that's the truth. If games were being played at 7PM EST like most NHL games it would still be drawing a lot more interest.

I mean, they are the villains because they are the team to beat. That's the way sports is.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean a gold is a gold. But it will mean absolutely nothing when talking about who the top nations in the world are right now. This tournament really has no bearing on that at all. The real Canadian team has to be knocked off first lol.

Reactions: Gereth

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They are russians. Everyone knows that.

Kovy is HOF? Datsyuk retired for a reason.

Kovalchuk is H.O.F caliber for sure, had he not bolted to the KHL he would have been going in to the hall after his career without much doubt

And datsyuk is definately going in to the hall , also, Datsyuk did not retire from the N.H.L because of a drop off in play, he left because he wanted to back to Russia to end his playing days. At the time he left the N.H.L he was still one of the best two way forwards in the game of hockey. And if you have watched him play here at this thing you can tell he still is!! He's still a great player.

No matter who may want to fluff it off the fact is that Russia has talent available to them at this thing that no one else does, they SHOULD win this tournament. They have an advantage here no one else does.

Whether they do remains to be seen.

Last edited:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Kovalchuk is H.O.F caliber for sure, had he not bolted to the KHL he would have been going in to the hall after his career without much doubt

And datsyuk is definately going in to the hall , also, Datsyuk did not retire from the N.H.L because of a drop off in play, he left because he wanted to back to Russia to end his playing days. At the time he left the N.H.L he was still one of the best two way forwards in the game of hockey. And if you have watched him play here at this thing you can tell he still is!! He's still a great player.

My point was that Russian team doesn't have special position there. They miss many current NHL stars as well. And two old good players from nhl won't change that.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My point was that Russian team doesn't have special position there. They miss many current NHL stars as well. And two old good players from nhl won't change that.

But they do have a special position and people who are well in the know are aware they do.

They have legitimate STARS on their team, no one else does. They also have more talent then any other team that could be playing in the N.HL that isn't simply because they have chosen to ply their trade in the K.H.L instead of the N.H.L for whatever reason.

They have more talent available to them here then anyone, it is not by accident they came into the tournament as clear favourites.

I don't see why anyone would attempt to dispute this.

Reactions: Macbanan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course they care....they have a talent advantage over shell teams from other Nations. It’s their best chance in what..decades?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
They have more talent available to them here then anyone, it is not by accident they came into the tournament as clear favourites.

Im not denying they aren't favorites, but its not because "Having HoFers on their team with everyone else fielding rejects" like that guy said.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Of course they care....they have a talent advantage over shell teams from other Nations. It’s their best chance in what..decades?
Would they have less chances with Ovechkin, Malkin, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Radulov, Orlov, Sergachev, Emelin on their team? With current roster they still lost to Slovakia...

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Im not denying they aren't favorites, but its not because "Having HoFers on their team with everyone else fielding rejects" like that guy said.

Well having hall of famers on your team when no one else does or has even close to that sure helps.

Russia has talent on their team to break open a game that no other team has, If say Canada even had just 2 guys like that, I will randomly pick Seguin and Hall here for arguments purpose, then I would agree with you.
But they don't, nor Does Sweden have anything like that, or Finland or the czechs, or the U.S or anyone else.

But Russia does......that's a tremendous advantage at this thing.

Let's not try to pretend it isn't.

Reactions: Macbanan

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Let's not try to pretend it isn't.
I agree with you that Kovy is HOF caliber, but he's not at his peak anymore, just a good player. Datsyuk is 39 years old player, he's not difference maker like he used to be. Advantage of Russia is to have KHL where you can find some good talented players. Btw I remember some posters on these boards claimed that KHL isn't even second best league in the world. So why AHL or other leagues could't provide better teams if its true?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree with you that Kovy is HOF caliber, but he's not at his peak anymore, just a good player. Datsyuk is 39 years old player, he's not difference maker like he used to be. Advantage of Russia is to have KHL where you can find some good talented players. Btw I remember some posters on these boards claimed that KHL isn't even second best league in the world. So why AHL or other leagues could't provide better teams if its true?

Only someone incredibly naive would argue that the K.H.L is not the 2nd best league in the world.

I know you will never hear any such foolishness from me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So why AHL or other leagues could't provide better teams if its true?

AHLers on two way contracts aren’t eligible.

There are some AHLers there.

Anyway it is what it is - let’s see how Russia does with the pressure and expectations.

Losing early was good for them.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad