Does this tournament mean anything to Russia?

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
This is mostly a question for Russian posters.

In Canada, no really one cares about it. No one is talking about it or watching the games. No one can name 3 people on the Canadian Roster.

So when Russia wins the tournament, will it be celebrated in Russia?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
thread.jpg

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Of course it will be celebrated, I'm not Russian but I know how Russians are, specifically Russian hockey fans. They will treat a potential win at the Olympic tournament (especially if they beat Canada in the final) as a legitimate opportunity to proclaim that Russian hockey is superior to Canadian hockey.

Even though it would be ridiculous to ever suggest that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The NHL not participating is counted against the NHL, not really against the Olympics. Winning it now would be quite different to Sochi, but for different reasons.

Reactions: cg98 and Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Try Telling Don Cherry this isn't important! Some posters here are absolutely clueless.

Winning Olympic Gold means Winning Olympic Gold it's celebrated everywhere in every discipline especially one this prestigious.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
Perhaps don't speak on behalf of an entire nation.....
Just because you obviously don't care, doesn't mean no one does.
I'm actually more interested in this tournament than I have been in past tournaments. Sure it's always amazing to see the absolute best in the world play eachother, but in past Olympics, I really didn't start paying attention until the semi's, because it was expected that Canada would be there. As per the game this morning, Canada barely made it out of the quarters, and it was a heck of a game.

As for the players, though I may not be able to name them all, I can name most, and I am excited for them. There are a lot of guys who had their dreams of being fulltime NHLers, or even making the NHL cut short, and now, here they are, Olympians. Representing their entire country on the world stage. There are 2 things hockey kids in Canada grow up dreaming of, the Stanley Cup, and an Olympic Gold, most of these guys never got a sniff at the Stanley cup, so I'm happy that they can represent our country, and reach for a dream.

I will celebrate a Canadian gold in 2018, as much, if not more than the Olympic gold in 2014.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

In Canada, no really one cares about it. No one is talking about it or watching the games. No one can name 3 people on the Canadian Roster.

‘So when Russia wins’? A little premature, no?

As it pertains to hockey fans, it might be a bigger deal if we manage to screw this up.:laugh:
But if we win there will be some celebration but nothing like there would be normally.

Non NHL-participation aside, these olympics in general have been rather lacklustre in popularity because of the whole ‘Olympic Athlete From Russia’ thing.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Not a Russian, so I guess I'm not what you asked for. But my hunch is they care a lot. Like, a lot. And that that NHL-thing means nothing to them. OAR has had a miserable Olympics. This should mean it means even more to win in hockey.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Of course it will be celebrated, I'm not Russian but I know how Russians are, specifically Russian hockey fans. They will treat a potential win at the Olympic tournament (especially if they beat Canada in the final) as a legitimate opportunity to proclaim that Russian hockey is superior to Canadian hockey.

Even though it would be ridiculous to ever suggest that.

You know how Russians are and think? Wow, I didn’t realize we were such a uniform and homogeneous group of people. Thank heavens we have you to analyze us properly!

Back on topic - For various reasons, there’s actually a reasonably sized contingent of fans who wouldnt mind if this team lost.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
People keep on acting like hockey fans are somewhat relevant compared to the whole world scale.
Most of the people out there do not even know what the NHL is, so for the vast majority of the people of the world this time is not different from any other olympic tournament. And an olympic gold is an olympic gold.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

i do know what will happen if they don't win.this is Russia's only hope of getting Olympic gold and if they fail they will be not thought of very highly in their country or the hockey world.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Olympic gold is olympic gold. Olympic silver is olympic silver. Olympic bronze is olympic bronze. Olympic participation is olympic participation.

Or maybe you think there is no life outside the NHL? If so, you'll be disappointed.

Exactly.

There's plenty of life outside of the World Cup and the top domestic soccer leagues, and look how the Olympic soccer competition is viewed without all of the top players.

It's pretty much equivalent.

Reactions: Yeah15

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Not a Russian, so I guess I'm not what you asked for. But my hunch is they care a lot. Like, a lot. And that that NHL-thing means nothing to them. OAR has had a miserable Olympics. This should mean it means even more to win in hockey.
false

Russia had a very good olympics.
We are participating without our best athletes unfairly not invited, who could win 9+ gold medals + others medals.

We had 33 medals in Sochi.
Now (at the moment) we have 13 medals, we have 99,9% of chances to win at least 3 others medals. So it makes 16. (+ very good chances to had 2-3 others) but even with 16 it means

50% of what we won in Sochi. It's very good considering the whole situation.

This year our winter olympic team (I mean whole sports together, and with those who wasn't unfairly invited) was better than the team we had in Sochi.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
false

Russia had a very good olympics.
We are participating without our best athletes unfairly not invited, who could win 9+ gold medals + others medals.

We had 33 medals in Sochi.
Now (at the moment) we have 13 medals, we have 99,9% of chances to win at least 3 others medals. So it makes 16. (+ very good chances to had 2-3 others) but even with 16 it means

50% of what we won in Sochi. It's very good considering the whole situation.

This year our winter olympic team (I mean whole sports together, and with those who wasn't unfairly invited) was better than the team we had in Sochi.

Sorry but Russia was fairly denied access due to them cheating. Don't believe everything you see on RT

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Sorry but Russia was fairly denied access due to them cheating. Don't believe everything you see on RT

RT??
Yeah better watch BBC, CNN, CBC and co.

So when even IOC and CAS said there is no proof of cheating, you continue to listen to your media?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
RT??
Yeah better watch BBC, CNN, CBC and co.

So when even IOC and CAS said there is no proof of cheating, you continue to listen to your media?

IOC never said there was no proof of cheating, as with the CAS. "No proof" is just not true. CAS found "insufficient" but never said no proof. And I'm pretty sure the cat decision was based on the individual cases of 28 Russian athletes, not the actual doping scandal that occurred in 2014.

It's not a secret it was state sponsored, except well, your country while every other country knows what went down.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
IOC never said there was no proof of cheating, as with the CAS. "No proof" is just not true. CAS found "insufficient" but never said no proof. And I'm pretty sure the cat decision was based on the individual cases of 28 Russian athletes, not the actual doping scandal that occurred in 2014.

It's not a secret it was state sponsored, except well, your country while every other country knows what went down.

I think perhaps there is a mix-up here between the no proof on individual athletes, as opposed to proof on systematic irregularities in the system.

Reactions: Cuthalu

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Haha. A lot of Canadians are becoming very insecure over this tournament. We're used to winning most of the time, and being the heavy favourite. It's hilarious how many of us need to remind ourselves that "this tournament isn't real!" just in case we come up short. I also find it funny how everyone has secretly made Russia into this tournament's villain, and everyone would love to see them fail. They have the 2nd best league in the world besides the NHL? So what? Good for them, that's good for hockey.

Everybody still wants their country to win, NHL players or not, that's the truth. If games were being played at 7PM EST like most NHL games it would still be drawing a lot more interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad