Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Anders Lee is on pace for 30 goals. His previous 2 seasons were 40 and 34 goals. You're not going to be able to sign him for 5/$30M.
I recall reading that the current hang up is on length of contract. id imagine he wants 7 years and they wand 5 years...so they'll likely settle on 6/36 most i would do is 6/40 and thats really too much imo. he really has the potential to slow down as his career goes on imo

Reactions: YearlyLottery

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I recall reading that the current hang up is on length of contract. id imagine he wants 7 years and they wand 5 years...so they'll likely settle on 6/36 most i would do is 6/40 and thats really too much imo. he really has the potential to slow down as his career goes on imo

I rather go 5/35
There’s a good chance in less than 5 years he’s on the third line

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Anders Lee is on pace for 30 goals. His previous 2 seasons were 40 and 34 goals. You're not going to be able to sign him for 5/$30M.
That contract would be ideal for the team and him taking a "home town discount". Lee's style of play doesn't allow for effective play in the long run. Giving him a 7yr/49il contract would not be good cuz those last 2+ would hurt the team. He will probably wind up getting the latter but the former would be a home run IMO. If he gets 7 mil a year then fine but I don't really want him locked up for 7-8 years. 5 is deal

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I rather go 5/35
There’s a good chance in less than 5 years he’s on the third line

I think it's less. He is right where Bailey was last year in terms of age. I say isles want him to take the same deal. No more and no less. 6 yr - 30 mill, no bonus ,no trade prevention . Just a straight deal. He should take it and keep the band together if he loves it here as much as he leads on. If he leaves I am afraid he will take Shannon with him and that marble mouth will be our full time host .

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I’d do 5 years/36.25M just to ensure the term.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Ok, so I was giving this summer some potential thought. Here's something I've come up with and see what you guys think?

I would let Eberle and Flip go. Resign Lee, Nelson, and Lehner. However, Lee's and Nelson's deals would need to be something of a "hometown discount"/"sweetheart deals". Lee being 5/6 yrs at 6.5 mil, and Nelson at 5/6 yrs at 5.5 or 6 mil.
Next, go hard for both Panarin AND Duchene, not one or the other. Nelson would slide to 2nd line wing, Bailey slides to 3C. I would also try to move Leddy for another D man (for who, I'm not sure yet), but this isn't an essential part of the plan here.

Lines would be as follows:

Barzal centering Panarin and Beau
Duchene centering Nelson and Lee
Bailey centering Ladd and Komarov
4th line stays intact.

Same D paring as this year, unless you can move Leddy for another D. Hickey and Aho as depth

Same goalies.

HOWEVER, the following season (2020-2021) we would need to dump cap because Barzal, Beau, Pulock and Toews are gonna be due raises. IMO next season will probably be Boychuk's last good season. I think he will fall off in last 2 years of his deal. We'd have to move him, Ladd, and Leo in order to give raises to the 4 I mentioned earlier. Hopefully by then, some of our younger, cost controlled assets could be brought up and contribute.

This whole plan however hinges on getting Nelson and Lee signed at team friendly rates, not market value, which is already a job in itself, but if anyone can do it, it's Lou. Obviously the 2nd crucial part is getting both Panarin AND Duchene, which again is no easy task. Using the savings of getting Lee and Nelson at team friendly deals, Lou could use that extra dough to throw at Panarin and Duchene.

Thoughts? And please be constructive.

Last edited:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
So between our 1st and leddy, what sort of needs can we address? Huberdeau? Nylander?

Is nylander someone who can be our 2nd line center? Will Toronto want Leddy in exchange? Not exactly a defensive stalwart....

Huberdeau and Duchene would certainly juice our offense.

If im Lou, I gamble that our defensive prospects are good enough that we can lose leddy and still be okay. I like Aho and I think one of VandeSompel/Rathgeb/Wotherspoon can be a sleeper for next year as well....plus you know, we still have Hickey.

Will be very interesting to see how Lou plays this, definitely need to be aggressive and add 2 impact FWDs to help barzal out...and thats with resigning lee...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d take Huberdeau in a heartbeat but why would FLA trade him? I guess if they signed Panarin and BOB to make room.

Also, we likely wouldn’t be able to keep both Lee & Nelson. Huberdeau is a skilled LW playmaker who would help a lot but also cost assets.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I’d take Huberdeau in a heartbeat but why would FLA trade him? I guess if they signed Panarin and BOB to make room.

Also, we likely wouldn’t be able to keep both Lee & Nelson. Huberdeau is a skilled LW playmaker who would help a lot but also cost assets.

Yeah FLA would only trade him if they plan on getting those two...I wonder what the ask would be above the 1st?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah FLA would only trade him if they plan on getting those two...I wonder what the ask would be above the 1st?

Beauvillier? Bellows? Maybe a defensive prospect? They’d be in a odd postion Because they’d want to get fair value but if they needed to move his contract

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Beauvillier? Bellows? Maybe a defensive prospect? They’d be in a odd postion Because they’d want to get fair value but if they needed to move his contract
id trade our 1st, Beau and vandesompel(or similar) for huberdeau in a heartbeat....

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
id trade our 1st, Beau and vandesompel(or similar) for huberdeau in a heartbeat....

I love beau but I’d make that trade too.

I’d still want to try and find a sniper though. Huberdeau can score a little bit but his bread and butter is dishing. This team needs a real trigger man.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I love beau but I’d make that trade too.

I’d still want to try and find a sniper though. Huberdeau can score a little bit but his bread and butter is dishing. This team needs a real trigger man.

Yeah thats another imperative this offseason, lots of options. Parlay leddy into a young sniper? sign a FA? Panarin? Skinner? dzingel?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I still can’t believe Lou didn’t bring anyone over the deadline. He had all season to grab some talent to help with the PP. massive failure by Lou. Reminds me of Garth refusing to fix the goaltending.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Ok, so I was giving this summer some potential thought. Here's something I've come up with and see what you guys think?

I would let Eberle and Flip go. Resign Lee, Nelson, and Lehner. However, Lee's and Nelson's deals would need to be something of a "hometown discount"/"sweetheart deals". Lee being 5/6 yrs at 6.5 mil, and Nelson at 5/6 yrs at 5.5 or 6 mil.
Next, go hard for both Panarin AND Duchene, not one or the other. Nelson would slide to 2nd line wing, Bailey slides to 3C. I would also try to move Leddy for another D man (for who, I'm not sure yet), but this isn't an essential part of the plan here.

Lines would be as follows:

Barzal centering Panarin and Beau
Duchene centering Nelson and Lee
Bailey centering Ladd and Komarov
4th line stays intact.

Same D paring as this year, unless you can move Leddy for another D. Hickey and Aho as depth

Same goalies.

HOWEVER, the following season (2020-2021) we would need to dump cap because Barzal, Beau, Pulock and Toews are gonna be due raises. IMO next season will probably be Boychuk's last good season. I think he will fall off in last 2 years of his deal. We'd have to move him, Ladd, and Leo in order to give raises to the 4 I mentioned earlier. Hopefully by then, some of our younger, cost controlled assets could be brought up and contribute.

This whole plan however hinges on getting Nelson and Lee signed at team friendly rates, not market value, which is already a job in itself, but if anyone can do it, it's Lou. Obviously the 2nd crucial part is getting both Panarin AND Duchene, which again is no easy task. Using the savings of getting Lee and Nelson at team friendly deals, Lou could use that extra dough to throw at Panarin and Duchene.

Thoughts? And please be constructive.

Bailey hasn’t played center in a very long time, he’s a wing

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Yes, but first it needs to get more TALENTED. If we lose Brock and don't find a #2 center well just write off next season.

1. Leddy for Nylander
2. Sign Panarin
3. Trade 1st, bellows, + for Hoffman
4. Resign Lee and Lehner
5. Resign Flip or Nelson - cap depending

Lee-Barzal-Panarin
Bailey-Nylander-Hoffman
Ladd-Nelson-Beau
Komarov-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin

Pulock-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield
Aho-Pelech
Hickey

Lehner
Greiss

:allears:

hockeyguru13

Feb 27, 2019
Lou is in a tough spot. Players aren't really giving home discounts lately around the league. Maybe Crosby and a few guys who absolutely love their team. Even our 4th liners didn't give a discount. Most fans would of loved to trade Casey this offseason for a 3rd round pick to get out of that contract. To me, the writing is on the wall already for all these players leaving. #1-Lou knows the price goes up now compared to two months ago, or this past July August. Lehner not signed, safe to assume that he asked for years or $ Lou wasn't interested in. That conversation probably didn't start till the last two month. But it had to have happened. I can't imagine Lou doesn't want him here, and I cant imagine Lou said "ah lets wait till UFA till I ask what his demands would be". Lou didn't bite. Lee-Lou didn't bite. That conversation also happened. Nelson, Lou would of also asked what his demands would be. Even if just to see if he comes back with a very team friendly deal to persuade Lou to lock him up. Even Eberle, I am sure Lou asked, just in case he came back with a # and years that Lou had to accept. So the writing is on the wall, all these guys want max years, max dollars, and no discounts. When do you see non goalies, end up with no job, or no good offers, like baseball players? You don't. Not good players. Meaning average or above average. All these guys are above average. They will all be gone. Unless one waits long enough for Lou to try to get a top player, and fails, and one of these guys is still on the board. But what we have seen year after year with hockey, Is there is more $$, and more cap space available than good players. The players all get signed in a day or two. So I don't see these guys being around. The only chance is for Lehner because he wants playing time, and only a handful of teams can offer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad