Speculation: Does Standing Pat Now Mean Massive Change in the Summer?

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Ha. That's a theory. We're now in a position where we need to sign Brock Nelson so our center position doesn't go to total **** next season, yet a top 5 franchise center should be let go for what exact reason now?

If your theory is true I hope Lou writes the fans an open letter telling them to take it easy on Tavares as he really wanted to come back, but he's the reason JT went to Toronto.

JT didn't want to come back or he would have.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Draisaitl gets traded the Canadian government really needs to look into possible environmental factors dumbing down the population in the area in and around the rink. Water, soil, air tests need to be ordered across the board.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I believe the only reason Hoffman is on the block currently is because Florida wants to sign Bob and Panarin. Also, Hayes is definitely better than Nelson.
And also because the Panthers need some defensive help. And with only one year left on his contract, I can understand very well the Panthers wanting to use Hoffman as a bait to get a defenseman (especially if they don't intend to offer him a contract extension). He is currently having the best season of his career, so maybe it's a good timing to trade him.

I admit I have not seen Hoffman often this season (we all know his excellent shot), but looking closely at his statistics, he seems rather unidimensional. Most of his points (31 out of 60) are on the PP. We do not see that often. His +/- record (I know this statistic is not always representative) is -21. The worst among the Panthers forwards.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Looking ahead -

Panarin, Bob, and Hayes and resigning Lee would be the moves to makes in the offseason - dreamlist.

I know Bob is not a popular choice here but he is two time vezina winner and it is more likely he bounces back than Lehner repeating what he has done this season.

I know this would create some cap hell going into the 20/21 season, but a manageable one. Hickey's contract is easily moved 2y/5 Aav as well as the possibility of buying out Cal or trading Ladd once his bonus is paid and his modified NTC kicks in - the other possibility is to sign Maty to a 5 years deal instead of an 8.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Just a gut feeling on my part but I think there is a greater probability of not signing any of Lee, Nelson and Eberle than signing all 3. I think this is why Lou did nothing at the deadline. He didn't want to disrupt what the team has done this season but he also didn't want to disrupt his off season plan.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just a gut feeling on my part but I think there is a greater probability of not signing any of Lee, Nelson and Eberle than signing all 3. I think this is why Lou did nothing at the deadline. He didn't want to disrupt what the team has done this season but he also didn't want to disrupt his off season plan.

I don't think you'll find a soul here who believes we're re-signing all three. Heck, I don't think you'll find one who wants us to.

But if you're trying to say you're feeling like all three will be allowed to walk...

A few things about that notion:
- Can a team allow its captain to walk two summers in a row?
- With the biggest role he's ever had, Nelson is having his best ever season. But if he were a quicker shooter, a more adept passer, and a more opportunistic individual, he could easily have 60+ points already. How much will TROTZ want to have him stick around?
- Statistically, Eberle is having one of the worst seasons I've ever seen an upcoming UFA who should be in line for his biggest payday ever have. He must be upgraded upon. Right?
- Lou must make decisions on Lehner and Filppula too. Each has earned a continued NHL job like the one he's filling out right now, respectively. It may take a raise for each to retain them.
- On top of these internal issues, Lou has to figure out how to IMPROVE this team via UFAs (there are a good handful of game-changers out there) and/or trades (a good handful of young proven scorers who may no longer fit their team's budget).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Eberle is probably gone, however is there a chance he might want to sign a 1 year deal to try to raise his value? Probably not here though.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Oliver Stone here, Could there be a owner directive, to hold off signing any of these three until all hurdles have been passed on the Belmont project? The risk of not signing or trading these three before the deadline leaves the Isles in a very vulnerable position which is hard to explain......

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
All forwards under this current system will see reduced offesnsive numbers.

I know where you're going with this, but should this system mean a 20-point drop for a guy who gets top 6 minutes and is on the first PP unit?

The latter point is very important.

Basically, the 5-on-5 system, which asks this team to win games 2-1, has nothing to do with a PP, that is geared towards scoring with every opportunity. But it has failed miserably. And Eberle is part of that. You need two hands to count the number of times Eberle himself has missed a fairly, in not wide, open net on the PP alone.

That's individual failure. That is not the system.

Eberle hasn't brought "it" in the capacity he has shown himself capable of in the past.

In addition, there are players who, in this system, are now putting up career highs or at least numbers that are larger than in recent years.

Reactions: SI

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Except for Nelson, Cizekas, Clutterbuck

Increased TOI for all three, with Zeeker at 20.7% Shooting vs. career avg of 11.7% and above norms for Clutter and Nelson. Zeeker and Nelson lead the team in EN goals. Again the system is designed to absolutely minimize mistakes and high risk offensive scenarios, ideally leaving the Isles competitive in every game.

Reactions: xIsle

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Increased TOI for all three, with Zeeker at 20.7% Shooting vs. career avg of 11.7% and above norms for Clutter and Nelson. Zeeker and Nelson lead the team in EN goals. Again the system is designed to absolutely minimize mistakes and high risk offensive scenarios, ideally leaving the Isles competitive in every game.

So you write a blanket statement like
<<<
<<<

Then you directly negate your own statement in the next post.

Tisk, tisk - that's against the rules on legitimate posting.:nod:

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
So you write a blanket statement like
<<<
<<<

Then you directly negate your own statement in the next post.

Tisk, tisk - that's against the rules on legitimate posting.:nod:

If you believe my original statement is wrong based on those three players, then I will state it this way, a majority of the fowards will naturally see a decline in their offensive production due to the task of being defensively responsible under Trotz's system. Too Legit to quit.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I don't think you'll find a soul here who believes we're re-signing all three. Heck, I don't think you'll find one who wants us to.

But if you're trying to say you're feeling like all three will be allowed to walk...

A few things about that notion:
- Can a team allow its captain to walk two summers in a row?
- With the biggest role he's ever had, Nelson is having his best ever season. But if he were a quicker shooter, a more adept passer, and a more opportunistic individual, he could easily have 60+ points already. How much will TROTZ want to have him stick around?
- Statistically, Eberle is having one of the worst seasons I've ever seen an upcoming UFA who should be in line for his biggest payday ever have. He must be upgraded upon. Right?
- Lou must make decisions on Lehner and Filppula too. Each has earned a continued NHL job like the one he's filling out right now, respectively. It may take a raise for each to retain them.
- On top of these internal issues, Lou has to figure out how to IMPROVE this team via UFAs (there are a good handful of game-changers out there) and/or trades (a good handful of young proven scorers who may no longer fit their team's budget).

I do think there is a chance none of Lee, Nelson or Eberle resign. Lou is obviously taking his time to evaluate the roster. He has not rushed to sign any of his own free agents. Maybe he doesn't think Lee will age well. Maybe he looks at Nelson's history and decides this year was a fluke. Eberle has sealed his own fate with his awful year. No one knows what Lou is thinking. But if he had a chance to replace Lee, Nelson and Eberle with Panarin, Duchene and MDC. I'm not predicting this will happen. All I am saying is Lou is keeping his options open and I think this off season will officially start the rebuild of the Isles. He had no time last off season especially after waiting on Traitor. I expect many moves this off season.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Article in the Athletic says with the emergence of the young defense, Leddy may be expendable to bring in some top 6 help. Possibly in a deal for RNH or a young Winnipeg forward. His contract is desirable for a high end 2nd pairing guy who is still a top skater.

I'm mixed on it. Free agency would be ideal, maybe with Lou and Trotz and the Isles success this year, the island can be more appealing now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We need an elite player. Obviously they don’t grow on trees but we need to bring an Offensive guy in here who can score and put up points despite being in a defensive system.

I know it may be a long shot but throw money at a guy like Panarin. Free agency is better because you don’t have to give up assets.

We need guys in here who can produce in this system. Eberle is not going to cut it. He’s skilled but he’s not an elite player.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Article in the Athletic says with the emergence of the young defense, Leddy may be expendable to bring in some top 6 help. Possibly in a deal for RNH or a young Winnipeg forward. His contract is desirable for a high end 2nd pairing guy who is still a top skater.

I'm mixed on it. Free agency would be ideal, maybe with Lou and Trotz and the Isles success this year, the island can be more appealing now.

This is my ideal scenario. I honestly feel with the combination of young defenseman developing and Trotz system that Leddy is expendable. He hasn’t produced offensively like he was billed to do and he’s not great defensively.

I don’t think EDM does that trade but you never know. Even if we had to add. I’d do it.

As far as WPG the only guy I can think of is Little but he doesn’t do it for me.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This is my ideal scenario. I honestly feel with the combination of young defenseman developing and Trotz system that Leddy is expendable. He hasn’t produced offensively like he was billed to do and he’s not great defensively.

I don’t think EDM does that trade but you never know. Even if we had to add. I’d do it.

As far as WPG the only guy I can think of is Little but he doesn’t do it for me.

WPG may not be able sign all of their forwards (Laine and Connor coming in with big raises). Maybe an Ehlers shakes free.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004

toronto not interested in a leddy for nylander swap?
....florida for hoffman?
...leddy + for toffoli?

Leddy definitely has worn out his welcome. Part of it isnt his fault as he should have been kicked off the PP a long long time ago. Then maybe we wouldnt hate him QUITE as much. As i think i've mentioned, I believe Pulock has almost as many PP points as leddy does. Let that sink in.
Pulock 8 PP points
Leddy 10 PP points

I'd throw a shit ton of money at Panarin, trade for hoffman....still need a 2nd line center tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad