Does Sam Bennett Dress This Year?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes. Next game. Don't know who comes out, but he'll be in there I would think. He is, plainly, a better hockey player than a few of the guys on our roster, and it would thus help the team to have him in the lineup. He's also had a few days now with the team to practice and learn the system, and he's been able to watch a game from the press-box.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Yes. Next game. Don't know who comes out, but he'll be in there I would think. He is, plainly, a better hockey player than a few of the guys on our roster, and it would thus help the team to have him in the lineup. He's also had a few days now with the team to practice and learn the system, and he's been able to watch a game from the press-box.

I originally thought Granlund was the easy choice, but then he pots 2 last night. Maybe scratch Raymond and move Granlund to the wing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I originally thought Granlund was the easy choice, but then he pots 2 last night. Maybe scratch Raymond and move Granlund to the wing.

He scored two last night, but he still isn't ideal as an NHL centre. I feel like he's flagged as the season has gone on. Just goes for games without anything happening while he's on the ice. Although to be fair his defensive game is very sound.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd expect so. Otherwise they would have sent him down to the AHL where he'd get the minutes he needs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd expect so. Otherwise they would have sent him down to the AHL where he'd get the minutes he needs.

Unless he's a lot worse in practice than they were expecting, you're right. But that would be silly given they had him in practice earlier in the year, too. And in TC. They should know what they're getting.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

He scored two last night, but he still isn't ideal as an NHL centre. I feel like he's flagged as the season has gone on. Just goes for games without anything happening while he's on the ice. Although to be fair his defensive game is very sound.

Granlund is not going to succeed as a winger. He is an average skater and he isn't particularly strong on the puck along the boards. He feeds on his skills and hockey sense to move pucks around, and in the middle of the ice is where he is most effective because he has more space.

He used to be a winger before he came over to NA, but I wasn't sure why the Flames' development staff and his coaches back in Finland tried to convert him into a center, and after watching him I understand why he's going to be best as a center. The lack of faceoff wins is underwhelming but you can't do anything about it really until the off-season.

He still gave the team much-needed insurance goals so he's earned the next game. If Bennett slots into the lineup, it should be at the expense of Colborne or Raymond.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Hartley can get the match-ups he wants against the Yotes at home... I say he'll dress on Tuesday.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Unless he's a lot worse in practice than they were expecting, you're right. But that would be silly given they had him in practice earlier in the year, too. And in TC. They should know what they're getting.

Exactly. Given how much time he's missed this year, the most important thing for Bennett's development is to play as much as he can now. And I'm sure the team's aware of that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly, it'd be a bit hard to sit someone for Bennett after the game against Edmonton. The suspects you'd imagine: Colborne, Ferland, Joorie, Granlund & Raymond; all had decent games. I don't think you could justify sitting any of them in favor of a rookie.

Earned, never given.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, it'd be a bit hard to sit someone for Bennett after the game against Edmonton. The suspects you'd imagine: Colborne, Ferland, Joorie, Granlund & Raymond; all had decent games. I don't think you could justify sitting any of them in favor of an 18 year old.

Earned, never given.

Raymond didn't have a decent game. He wasn't even able to do his buttonhook without losing the puck, and he had a few egregious defensive-zone turnovers.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Raymond's been a pile of crap.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Bennett - Stajan - Colborne
Ferland - Granlund - Jooris

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Organization needs to replace 'earned, never given' with something less problematic. Bennett dressing would help in putting a nail in that coffin. Plus a virtual guarantee he'd be more effective than Raymond.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really hope he replaces Raymond next game. I personally think you move Granny to wing, have Sam play as your 3C. Personally I like Granlund way more at wing than center.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Raymond didn't have a decent game. He wasn't even able to do his buttonhook without losing the puck, and he had a few egregious defensive-zone turnovers.

Got a point; his break in and shot sets up the game winning goal. He's never great with the puck or in his own zone; hasn't stopped Hartley most of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad