Does Matthews leave for the US after his contract expires?

Does Matthews sign with a US based team after next season?

• Total voters

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think he stays but it has nothing to do with Toronto being a competitive team lol. He just loves the attention and the big city vibes, and Toronto gives those. Rangers or LA can't afford him in two years so no point in leaving when Toronto will just give him a blank cheque.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
People need to stop lumping Toronto in with Alberta and Manitoba. We're on another tier when it comes to what we can offer people than them.

When you visit Japan, you go to Tokyo. When you visit America you got to LA or NYC. When you visit France, you see Paris. Thailand? Bangkok. Germany? Berlin.

When you visit Canada you go to Toronto.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If matthews really wanted to be a leaf, why didn't he sign for 8 years at $11.634 mil?

Eichel signed for 8 years for $10 mil.

Mcdavid signed for 8 years and $12.5 mil.

His 2 closest comparables both signed max term but matthews chose only 5 with a nmc in the final year.

Also, you have to think losing every year in the first round has to be frustrating. But then again, maybe playoffs don't matter to matthews. I mean, the guy has never even won a PO series in his life, as far as I know.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Toronto Maple Leafs are an iconic franchise. He’s stayin.
Auston Matthews does what’s best for himself, he will leave. He really doesn’t care about staying in Toronto. God I’m going to laugh when he pulls a taveras/Gaudreau

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This place kills me.... Matthews can't even start to negotiate yet but there's already threads up if he will leave and 61% of HFBoard thinks he's as good as gone. why not wait till we get word that he's actually unhappy here or you know the regular season has started and he still hasn't re-signed..... Next Year

Sure there's a chance he leaves but there's just as likely if not stronger chance he re-signs. guy can literally get 13m every July 1st for 8 years and play for league min. Not sure Arizona can offer that or be close to contending in 2 years.

Lots of American players over the years have chosen to play in Canada when they had offers from American teams.

It's sad whats happening to CGY it really is but that doesnt mean every Superstar is automatically leaving every Canadian team

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
If matthews really wanted to be a leaf, why didn't he sign for 8 years at $11.634 mil?

Eichel signed for 8 years for $10 mil.

Mcdavid signed for 8 years and $12.5 mil.

His 2 closest comparables both signed max term but matthews chose only 5 with a nmc in the final year.

Also, you have to think losing every year in the first round has to be frustrating. But then again, maybe playoffs don't matter to matthews. I mean, the guy has never even won a PO series in his life, as far as I know.
Didn't Crosby sign a 5x after his ELC? I mean why would he have only signed for 5 years, right to UFA if he really wanted to be a Penquin?

Reactions: Voight and banks

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Didn't Crosby sign a 5x after his ELC? I mean why would he have only signed for 5 years, right to UFA if he really wanted to be a Penquin?
Why yes he did! But don’t let that fool you, he plans his day by whining about anything and everything leafs!

Reactions: Voight

KrakenFan92

Mar 21, 2022
People need to stop lumping Toronto in with Alberta and Manitoba. We're on another tier when it comes to what we can offer people than them.

When you visit Japan, you go to Tokyo. When you visit America you got to LA or NYC. When you visit France, you see Paris. Thailand? Bangkok. Germany? Berlin.

Yeah Toronto can offer all that except for a first round win. That is why he will leave.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
From what I hear he seems to really enjoy Toronto so I would say he will stay. It doesnt hurt Toronto that the logical US city for him to go to is one of the worst franchises in the history of sport.
But it won't take much convincing to go to LA or the Big Apple. He loves the star life and already thinks he a run way fashion model.
He could have signed the long term deal that the other three in T.O signed.
He's 99% gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habano

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

I don't disagree with the sentiment that Toronto is on another tier than lets's say Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Edmonton. But the rest of your post is fairly off-track.

Toronto is more or less on the same tier globally as Montreal and Vancouver (ahead, yes - But not at all comparable to Paris vs. the rest of France for instance). Only a Torontonian could make such a claim.

And the same is true for Germany. Berlin is hardly the most important city, or the only place people go (and I say that as a Berliner). Industry is concentrated in the South (Munich and Stuttgart), finance, banking, and the most important airport is in Frankfurt, fashion and design is concentrated in Düsseldorf, media in Cologne and Hamburg (which also has one of Europe's most important harbours). Tourism is spread fairly evenly throughout. It's an incredibly polycentric country and it doesn't at all fit your mould.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He loves Toronto. There is literally no place better if you are a hockey player who likes attention and the spotlight.

Hes not going to leave because they haven't won a series. Its not like he's been dominating each series personally and still losing. Guys on teams who don't make the playoffs get frustrated with their teams. Guys who keep losing in the playoffs feel they can play better and change things from within.

Leafs can offer the most money as well as the chance to go down as the greatest player ever for the most talked about franchise. I think its 95% likely he re-signs. LA is the only possibility if he really wants to leave Canada but I still think its quite unlikely.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Toronto is more or less on the same tier globally as Montreal and Vancouver (ahead, yes - But not at all comparable to Paris vs. the rest of France for instance). Only a Torontonian could make such a claim.

Hmm.........I dunno about that. Kearney's "global cities index" has Toronto climbing rather high now.
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 8.00.46 AM.png

And in Resonance Consultancy’s "World's best cities" report for 2021, Toronto sat at number 18. Vancouver was 46th, Montreal was 48th.

It's not a knock against Montreal or Vancouver, but c'mon Man. They're just not on the same tier and it's not "just Torontonians" that are saying it. Economically, culturally, infrastructure, size, employment, etc. It's not super close.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
But it won't take much convincing to go to LA or the Big Apple. He loves the star life and already thinks he a run way fashion model.
He could have signed the long term deal that the other three in T.O signed. He flat our refused that for a reason.
He's 99% gone.
That’s the same 3 others that includes Marner and Nylander that actually had 6 year contracts, and Tavares who had 7 years correct?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He could have signed the long term deal that the other three in T.O signed. He flat our refused that for a reason.
He's 99% gone.
Why talk with so much conviction when you don't even know the story or facts? He was willing to sign an 8 year deal but it would have come at a higher cap hit so the Leafs were against it. But yeah, kept spewing nonsense garbage.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
None of us have any insight so this is basically people voting because they hope he leaves vs us fans voting because we hope he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad