does anyone else get the feeling this is going to be the year of the underdogs?

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
This is the year that an instant replay decision is going to decide the outcome of the Final. My scrying mirror is a bit cloudy so I don't know whether it will be a goalie interference or offsides but it's happening and it will be infuriating.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If it is anything other than Dallas or Colorado vs Columbus or the Cains, then no.

Every team outside of Colorado and Dallas remaining in the west was expected to be a contender. St. Louis had a shit start to the year, but were dominate in the 2nd half and expected to be in the hunt anyways. Vegas, SJ, Peg, and Nashville were all cup contenders going into the season.

Out East, Leafs, Bruins, and Caps were all expected to be contenders. NYI are kinda like the Easts Blues team in that they were good enough in the season that nothing should surprise people right now.

But yeah, I would take a Jackets-Avs SCF.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Who are the teams that are considered underdogs? Without having that list, maybe?

Of the teams left I see Washington, Boston, Nashville and Vegas as favorites based on previous playoffs. For me the rest are anywhere from mid pack to underdogs.

Here is what the Athletic has for current probabilities:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-20-at-1.05.00-AM.png

What were the "probabilities" 10 days ago? These things are so stupid. Nobody has a hot clue what's going to happen.

Reactions: ellja3

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What were the "probabilities" 10 days ago? These things are so stupid. Nobody has a hot clue what's going to happen.

Agreed, but I'll take that over a bunch of garbage in a prediction thread on HFB. This place, for all of its positives, is a cesspool of garbage posters.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Who are the teams that are considered underdogs? Without having that list, maybe?

Of the teams left I see Washington, Boston, Nashville and Vegas as favorites based on previous playoffs. For me the rest are anywhere from mid pack to underdogs.

I'm rooting for the Leafs and Avs, but I don't really understand this at all. How are the Leafs the top team by probability? They are young and have yet to win a round. Washington, the Cup champs with mostly the same team, should under no circumstances be in the lower half (unless you think Trotz was the only reason they won, despite losing multiple times in the 2nd round with him previously).

And how TF are the Jets dead last? They had a good run last year as a young team. Now they are close to the same team, with the playoff experience. Does not compute...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm rooting for the Leafs and Avs, but I don't really understand this at all. How are the Leafs the top team by probability? They are young and have yet to win a round. Washington, the Cup champs with mostly the same team, should under no circumstances be in the lower half (unless you think Trotz was the only reason they won, despite losing multiple times in the 2nd round with him previously).

And how TF are the Jets dead last? They had a good run last year as a young team. Now they are close to the same team, with the playoff experience. Does not compute...

No idea, but they gave this. Everyone is welcome to come up with something better that isnt based on opinion.

NHL playoffs probabilities – April 20

Each team’s chances of winning are based on 50,000 simulations of remaining playoff games, which factors in each team’s projected strength, current health, home-ice advantage, and likely path through the playoffs. It also adjusts throughout the playoffs using Elobased on the strength of the opponent, the margin of victory and the venue the game was played at. You can read more about the model here. There are also links to each series preview at the bottom for those curious about why certain teams are favoured over others.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I've looked at this thing so many times and just don't get it, and I'm very pro-analytics. Is it some Monte Carlo simulation? Is it backwards-looking?

If the Caps take that series and Boston doesn't win 2 in a row, the defending champs have home ice throughout the playoffs and they're near the bottom? Um, ok.

Carolina has almost the same chance to win round 2 as the Isles. That means Carolina has to win a 3 game mini-series without home ice advantage against the Cup champs and THEN go beat the Isles on the road. And they have almost as good a chance to do that than the very team already waiting to play to them with home ice advantage? AND they have a better chance of doing that than the Caps, who would have home ice? Right. Even if you want to call every series a near coin flip, Carolina would have to win 2 coin flips versus the Isles 1. Unless this is telling me that the behind-the-Isles-the-entire-season Hurricanes would be favored SO much against the Isles that it makes their chances close to even to win 2 on-the-road coin flips to the Isles 1 at-home coin flip

In aggregate, the Canes, Caps, Bruins, and Isles have a 19% chance of winning the cup versus just the Leafs 19%? Can I take that bet? That's guaranteed ECF with either the Cup champs (I like my chances), or an unproven team (Canes, Isles) against another unproven team (Jackets, Leafs). Or of course, the Bruins come back to beat the Leafs, and my field has 3 of the 4 teams left in the East and the Leafs are out.

But of course, if the Bruins win game 6, this whole thing will be wildly different, right?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

So we still have a 2.2% chance at the cup? Nice!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Are they serious?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm cheering for Toronto in the east. Lived here in the GTA all my life, but that's a big bias. If Toronto makes it into the next round, they have an amazing chance.

The best chance they've had since Gilmour, but they still need to get past Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00