does anyone else get the feeling this is going to be the year of the underdogs?

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
of two major underdogs in the cup final,similar to Edmonton Carolina in 2005. I can see it being a avs blue jacket final or stars and islanders.....or even the canes vs.the blues or avs.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
advanced stats weren't really a thing back then, but they nearly won the east that year until gerber spent the last month of the season with some horrible stomach illness

I just looked. They did allow a ton of goals relative to the other top 3-4 seeds in the east so maybe that is what people were harping on

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I may be in the minority but I really like Columbus in the East. They look like they’re made for the playoffs and peaking at the right time. A big physical team with balanced scoring. They look primed for a good run.
I really don’t see a lot of separation between any of the teams left. Now that TBay is gone.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't view the Islanders as an underdog. And the Blue Jackets aren't an average 8th seed. They finished two points behind Toronto

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Who are the teams that are considered underdogs? Without having that list, maybe?

Of the teams left I see Washington, Boston, Nashville and Vegas as favorites based on previous playoffs. For me the rest are anywhere from mid pack to underdogs.

Here is what the Athletic has for current probabilities:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-20-at-1.05.00-AM.png

Welcome to our NHL playoffs probabilities page where you will find game probabilities, each team’s odds of advancing to each round and their odds of winning the Stanley Cup.

Each team’s chances of winning are based on 50,000 simulations of remaining playoff games, which factors in each team’s projected strength, current health, home-ice advantage, and likely path through the playoffs. It also adjusts throughout the playoffs using Elobased on the strength of the opponent, the margin of victory and the venue the game was played at. You can read more about the model here. There are also links to each series preview at the bottom for those curious about why certain teams are favoured over others.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Avs-Golden Knights
Blues-Stars

Hurricanes-Islanders
Blue Jackets-Leafs

Would arguably be the most improbable second round since I’ve been alive.

Reactions: Gains and Pay Carl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad