does anyone else get the feeling this is going to be the year of the underdogs?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm cheering for Toronto in the east. Lived here in the GTA all my life, but that's a big bias. If Toronto makes it into the next round, they have an amazing chance.

The best chance they've had since Gilmour, but they still need to get past Boston.

Its not an opinion piece. Doesnt mean it's right, but it's based off simulations and ELO

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
What stats? Not disputing, just haven't seen any.
IMG_20190420_092646.png
pretty basic, but it's informative

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Who are the teams that are considered underdogs? Without having that list, maybe?

Of the teams left I see Washington, Boston, Nashville and Vegas as favorites based on previous playoffs. For me the rest are anywhere from mid pack to underdogs.

Here is what the Athletic has for current probabilities:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-20-at-1.05.00-AM.png

How is Toronto at 19% for cup and we haven't won our series like other teams?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
So strange that two separate analytics based studies have the Jets dead last in one and 5th of 16 in the other. Interesting. Not discounting either one at all.
The one I showed is heavily based on stats, and not outcomes.

I dunno where the athletic got 19% for the leafs

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't view the Islanders as an underdog. And the Blue Jackets aren't an average 8th seed. They finished two points behind Toronto

The Islanders are only an underdog because of what was expected of them prior to the season. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see them in the SCF. They play a very playoff style of hockey, Lehner has been solid the entire year, and according to Isles fans Trotz is doing a great job (I asked them. :laugh:)

I agree though, based on their results from this season they aren't really overperforming as they've been solid all year.

Reactions: Quicklime

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I think Vegas is the favorite. They made it close last year and added alot of talent since.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
No idea, but they gave this. Everyone is welcome to come up with something better that isnt based on opinion.

NHL playoffs probabilities – April 20
That chart of fancy numbers is courtesy of Dom Luszczhszyn. Dom's fancy numbers previously said that the Penguins had a 70.3% chance of beating the Islanders in the first round. The fact that he had that down to the .3% means his numbers are highly accurate and indisputable.

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad