Wahlstrom Or Dobson at #11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Dobstrom.

They're both gonna be really good.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dobson is a star 4-5 years from now(and no, I don't mean we're trading him to Dallas).

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
In all do respect to Dahlin, It make take time...but I think Dober has a chance to be the best 2 way defensemen in that draft.
I know it’s the Sabres, but every time the isles play them, Dahlin is always at least a minus one. There a number of GA when playing NYI that were due to his very meh defensive play. I just don’t see the hype with Dahlin

Reactions: Not4u

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know it’s the Sabres, but every time the isles play them, Dahlin is always at least a minus one. There a number of GA when playing NYI that were due to his very meh defensive play. I just don’t see the hype with Dahlin

Dahlin is very talented, but he’s not talented enough to just step into the NHL and naturally develop into a beast. Buffalo has done him a major disservice. His defensive play is not very good and his skating is not high end - strong edgework, not explosive though. If Trotz got his hands on him, he could develop him into a top end player. Without good coaching though, he's going down a bad path as we're seeing in Buffalo.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Its a great question - RHD is typically the more valuable position overall, but for the Isles, you can argue a scoring winger is the bigger need.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
For me this has nothing to do with mistakes, they are both young and both have great potential and I really like both of them. With that said, my vote was just based on the personal opinion that I am starting to have the belief that Wahlstrom could become the perennial 30-35 goal sniper that we always want and (again, in my opinion) that is a lot harder to find than what Dobson has shown me so far. Now if Noah becomes a legit top pairing dman maybe I change my mind, but for now to me he seems more like a #3 or 4, while Wahly seems like he could be a top line sniper.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We were so lucky to get both in 2018. My question is the following, at the time, who would you have taken if we didn't have the Calgary pick? Now I'm thinking everyone will be quick to say Dobson because defense over offense, but at that time we really hurting on offense after JT left. Very tough decision for sure.
Dobson for me. I think a stud RHD is tougher to add then a goal scoring winger.
Pulock hadn't established himself when Tavares had left. Boychuck was getting up there in age.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles needs to keep both, I believe, at least through the next 5 years.

Root connection down the road that may impact their UFA contract decision?

Wally is from Boston and Dobson is from PE, no particular NHL city connection for Dobs just like none for Crosby.

Not sure how much this would matter, but it did for Tavares.

Isles obvious needs both to stay on this team - a shooter with good hands and never reluctant to shoot. A smart RHD who can read the game quite well, got good size, can skate and carry the puck, and know how to set up plays.

If Isles eventually find a goal scoring LHD who can quarterback the Power play then I think the team is well set for the top 4 and both pairs can be dependable (3,6) + (?,8) for a long time (as long as they manage the cap well).

From an entertainment point of view, it may be more exciting to keep a winger who can be counted on to put up point on the scoreboard.

For Wally to keep up this type of game, he absolutely has to stay in top physical shape each year though. I remember admiring Dustin Penner for his scoring ability on the Ducks many years ago, but once he started to gain weight, everything went downhill fast including his shot.

Both Dobson and Wally still has some part of their game need to be worked on though. However I like the effort they have put in this season so far. Yes there may be some hype for both players now as a lot has yet to be proved as far as consistency goes. It is usually not until the 3rd full NHL season you can really tell if a NHL player will truly be a star in this league or even in the top 50 conversation. I remember that Ghost on Philly had an unbelievable rookie year and so did Chabot but they are not even that close to their rookie season performance now. One thing need to be considered is the wear and tear multiple NHL games can put on a player (not just physical abuse one takes game in and game out but mental grind as well especially when things do not go well).

By the way I am not hyping up Shane Wright but watching his highlight video I think this kid is for real if able to stay healthy. Wonder which team will be lucky enough to get him? Hope it is not a rival team from Metro.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting poll. At the time I chose Dobson, but I think the gap between he and Wally has a real chance of closing this season. Just a premonition or an educated guess, but I see both taking steps fwd this season. Whether they are baby steps or giant's steps this is an exciting question to be answered. For Wally I can see his upside being a 30 goal scorer this season, on the moderate side, if he plays a full season, 20 if he gets PP time. I expect Dobson's mins to grow also to only be less than P & P & Mayfield.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Interesting poll. At the time I chose Dobson, but I think the gap between he and Wally has a real chance of closing this season. Just a premonition or an educated guess, but I see both taking steps fwd this season. Whether they are baby steps or giant's steps this is an exciting question to be answered. For Wally I can see his upside being a 30 goal scorer this season, on the moderate side, if he plays a full season, 20 if he gets PP time. I expect Dobson's mins to grow also to only be less than P & P & Mayfield.
good debate. let's see what happens

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Maybe, but defenders generally take longer to fully develop than forwards. Dobson still has it where it counts - skating, size, and hockey sense. I'll run with that combo every day whether F or D. Add experience, and I think he will likely be top-pairing player. Wahlstrom's playoff injury, and his tendency to put his head down is still worrisome. I hope he can improve there, because he can be a powerplay monster.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe, but defenders generally take longer to fully develop than forwards. Dobson still has it where it counts - skating, size, and hockey sense. I'll run with that combo every day whether F or D. Add experience, and I think he will likely be top-pairing player. Wahlstrom's playoff injury, and his tendency to put his head down is still worrisome. I hope he can improve there, because he can be a powerplay monster.
Yes some do, Dobson has been brought a long slowly by the Isles. He had the training wheels on in his rookie year, in his sophomore year, he got the wheels taken off and was able to explore the neighbourhood beyond the neighbourhood. I am expecting him to buy his first car this year, he will be able to explore the city limits. He hasn't been rushed, he has been brought along slowly. Now he is going to play with one of Chara or Greene. I think this is the year we will start to see why he is the stud defender most of us expect he will be.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Its like when the cute girl smiles at you from across the bar AND you have the balls to make a move! 2 years later, babies.

images (3).jpeg

20 years later, alimony and she looks like Kathleen Turner's "after" picture.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
No one is immune to time, not even JLo.
My favorite part of Hollywoody award type shows is when they give a lifetime achievement award to some old actor that no one's seen in 30 years, and they're like 90 and feeble in a wheelchair and all the young actors applaud but there are these horrified looks on their faces, like they just realized, OMG, I'm going to get old someday too.

I love that.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
My favorite part of Hollywoody award type shows is when they give a lifetime achievement award to some old actor that no one's seen in 30 years, and they're like 90 and feeble in a wheelchair and all the young actors applaud but there are these horrified looks on their faces, like they just realized, OMG, I'm going to get old someday too.

I love that.
lindrosviapuckinidiots.jpg

Kind of like Eric Lindros at a Old Timer's Day game.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad