OT: Dobson or Wahlstrom?

Wahlstrom Or Dobson at #11

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
We were so lucky to get both in 2018. My question is the following, at the time, who would you have taken if we didn't have the Calgary pick? Now I'm thinking everyone will be quick to say Dobson because defense over offense, but at that time we really hurting on offense after JT left. Very tough decision for sure.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Dobson. Premium RHD's with #1D upside are the hardest assets to find other than premium #1C's. Love Wahlstrom and I think he's going to a top line RW, but wingers take a back seat to C's and D's.

In all do respect to Dahlin, It make take time...but I think Dober has a chance to be the best 2 way defensemen in that draft.

Reactions: PWJunior and TMI

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
GHumHsEl.jpg

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We were so lucky to get both in 2018. My question is the following, at the time, who would you have taken if we didn't have the Calgary pick? Now I'm thinking everyone will be quick to say Dobson because defense over offense, but at that time we really hurting on offense after JT left. Very tough decision for sure.

Doesn't seem like a tough choice to me.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, it's a landslide. I just wonder what it would have looked like at the time. Dobson was also the consensus pick at the time, like anywhere from 1-5 spots higher than Wahlstrom.

From the way I remember the draft there was a group of 8 guys who were rated all over the board from 3rd-10th(with Kotkaniemi being a late riser) and we picked 11th and luckily we not only got 1 but 2 of those guys

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah, it's a landslide. I just wonder what it would have looked like at the time. Dobson was also the consensus pick at the time, like anywhere from 1-5 spots higher than Wahlstrom.

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Actually Wahlstrom rated higher then Dobson on 9 of these 14 rankings. All that being said Many of these ranking came out before Dobson won the Memorial Cup

Should be noted not on the link I gave you was TSN ranking which had Dobson 6th, Wahlstom 9th

Kotkaniemi surges into top five of TSN Draft Ranking - TSN.ca

Last edited:

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

i think the draft was a week or two before July 1st

Reactions: MattMartin

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If we HAD to pick? WallE because we need scoring more than sound defense. I imagine we'd have kept Towes somehow if we didn't have Dobson waiting.

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Dobson. You're right because defense over offense. But before Noah got hurt he was showing the first signs of him being capable of leading the defense, communicating and directing traffic, also being able to QB the power play. That's pretty heady stuff for a 1st year pro. I'm super impressed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Dobson. Premium RHD's with #1D upside are the hardest assets to find other than premium #1C's. Love Wahlstrom and I think he's going to a top line RW, but wingers take a back seat to C's and D's.
Agree with you 100%.

FYI It's 9:20AM, I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee in my White Castle mug. Later I'm going to start checking around to see if Chipotle sells coffee mugs.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Real question is how would both look today if we had the old regime in charge of their development instead of Lou/Trotz...
don't have to think about that, and not going to.

i think it boiled down to expectation from start of year. i expected Dobson to at least compete for 2nd pair RD. i had NO expectation for Wahlly. i had hope. and now that i see him playing, i honestly feel like his overall game is solid. no weaknesses. i would like him to skate better, but it's still not bad. with Dobson, i could see the little mistakes, the lack of strength.

i think need plays a part as well. i felt that we were lacking in size and grit, for our top 6.

again, i am happy as a pig in shit to have both, but i give the slight edge to Olly.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
don't have to think about that, and not going to.

i think it boiled down to expectation from start of year. i expected Dobson to at least compete for 2nd pair RD. i had NO expectation for Wahlly. i had hope. and now that i see him playing, i honestly feel like his overall game is solid. no weaknesses. i would like him to skate better, but it's still not bad. with Dobson, i could see the little mistakes, the lack of strength.

again, i am happy as a pig in shit to have both, but i give the slight edge to Olly.

Dobson is also relied on much more heavily in situations with and without the puck so there are going to be more mistakes there. Wahlstrom has the easiest job on the ice when doing anything but shooting, that's not a knock on wingers, it's just a fact.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Dobson is also relied on much more heavily in situations with and without the puck so there are going to be more mistakes there. Wahlstrom has the easiest job on the ice when doing anything but shooting, that's not a knock on wingers, it's just a fact.
it certainly is, yet still i see Olly making less mistakes that Dobson. maybe Trotz put too much on the kid, i dunno? i certainly see that Dobson has a realistic chance to make big improvements, but potential is not as good as performance, IMO. Olly is just rocking it right now. and yes, small sample size, but for RIGHT NOW, i choose Olly.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
it certainly is, yet still i see Olly making less mistakes that Dobson. maybe Trotz put too much on the kid, i dunno? i certainly see that Dobson has a realistic chance to make big improvements, but potential is not as good as performance, IMO. Olly is just rocking it right now. and yes, small sample size, but for RIGHT NOW, i choose Olly.

My point is that Wahlstrom should make less mistakes because he has the puck less and is in less crucial positions, so that's not really a fair comparison. It's fine if you'd take Wahlstrom right now, he's been very solid and is playing his position very well. Definitely a time where we can all be happy we have both.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
My point is that Wahlstrom should make less mistakes because he has the puck less and is in less crucial positions, so that's not really a fair comparison. It's fine if you'd take Wahlstrom right now, he's been very solid and is playing his position very well. Definitely a time where we can all be happy we have both.
was just going to say this. a year ago, i doubt any of us would imagine a scenario in which both kids are playing really good, and we were ecstatic with both.

and let's not forget Sorokin! he's a bit older at 25, but most goalies take a bit longer to develop.

i am in a really good spot right now. loving this team!

Reactions: PK Cronin

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
was just going to say this. a year ago, i doubt any of us would imagine a scenario in which both kids are playing really good, and we were ecstatic with both.

and let's not forget Sorokin! he's a bit older at 25, but most goalies take a bit longer to develop.

i am in a really good spot right now. loving this team!

The additions of Sorokin, Dobson, and Wahlstrom change the entire outlook of this franchise. Last year it looked like we were a "win now" team with somewhat limited window. Now i think we are a win now team with a very long window to win. We have potentially added 3 core players here.

As for the poll i would go with Dobson, but its close. I love what Wahlstrom brings to the table, but Dobson may end up being our best defenseman in decades.

Reactions: buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad