News Article: Doan Out

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I always kinda questioned how far the relationship could go between a big time locker room guy like Doan and an organization that was playing games with money during the Covid bubble of all times.

I do think it's worth keeping in mind that his contract expired, and while he didn't renew he also didn't waltz out like Chayka trying to go to Jersey or something.

She has a role in one of those hallmark movies i believe. The one where a girl heads back to her home town and meets an ex boyfriend who is also single and she decides to leave the big city lifestyle behind for love.

There's usually like a cookie company or struggling family business involved. Hope her acting has improved since those Chas Roberts commercials lol.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I always kinda questioned how far the relationship between a big time locker room guy like Doan and an organization that was playing games with money during the Covid bubble of all times.

I do think it's worth keeping in mind that his contract expired, and while he didn't renew he also didn't waltz out like Chayka trying to go to Jersey or something.

There's usually like a cookie company or struggling family business involved. Hope her acting has improved since those Chas Roberts commercials lol.
I am amazed that Hallmark makes the same movie 20 different ways and people (women) watch. I may mock my wife openly for watching.

Reactions: 0point1

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Doan doesn’t leave if he’s happy with everything. There’s a stench to this - either with ownership, hockey ops or business ops.

Doan’s a class act and I doubt we’ll ever hear the details.

Reactions: Mangosteen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
“Nothing has been announced, but I expect Shane Doan to take a step back from the organization yet still be around and involved in various capacities next season. How much could depend on how much else he has going on.”

Doan doesn’t leave if he’s happy with everything. There’s a stench to this - either with ownership, hockey ops or business ops.

Doan’s a class act and I doubt we’ll ever hear the details.
I think it’s fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t like how hushed up this was from Morgan and crew. Makes me worried it wasn’t just other opportunities or a personal desire to step away. Hoping this isn’t the latest red flag on the Meruelo group.
Morgan who? Haven't you heard, Coyotedroppings is taking over.

Reactions: Grimes

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Doan is in demand, his role with the Coyotes isn't where he wants to be. I think he does any to be a GM or AGM at some point. Or even running Hockey Canada with all the stuff going on up there. He's as clean cut as you can get.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him running Hockey Canada or something like that.

Calm TF down

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Probably thinking Coyotes are in good hands...spend time with family.....Don't particularly want to wear a Blueberry suit....

:popcorn:

Reactions: jmelm

rt

May 13, 2004
Doan is in demand, his role with the Coyotes isn't where he wants to be. I think he does any to be a GM or AGM at some point. Or even running Hockey Canada with all the stuff going on up there. He's as clean cut as you can get.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him running Hockey Canada or something like that.

Calm TF down
I agree. I think it’s possible he wants a bigger front office role with more responsibility. I’m very much ok with him not getting that here. I love Doan but he strikes me a fantastic Chief Development Officer. More than that? Ehhhhh…I’ll defer to BA…

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I agree. I think it’s possible he wants a bigger front office role with more responsibility. I’m very much ok with him not getting that here. I love Doan but he strikes me a fantastic Chief Development Officer. More than that? Ehhhhh…I’ll defer to BA…
Yeah. I absolutely love Doan, but have always been surprised to see him be named GM of Team Canada's or high up positions.

I dunno

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I have a family member who is an actor and she is like any other person who works for a LIVING. He was captain of horrible teams and hopefully team management tells him to pound sand. The Oil tried to be ex
player friendly with management hires and they were in a waste land for nearly 15 years. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Wow
Reactions: Baby Doaner

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Worst case scenario is....Doan has inside info the arena deal is falling through and the team is relocating...

Getting out while he can...
I don't think Doan personally has one single thing to lose IF this scenario happened. Not even reputation. Well, he might get depressed. There's nothing to escape and there's no scenario where it's too late.

It makes more sense to me that he's peaked with the Coyotes and has aspirations for more.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think Doan personally has one single thing to lose IF this scenario happened. Not even reputation. Well, he might get depressed. There's nothing to escape and there's no scenario where it's too late.

It makes more sense to me that he's peaked with the Coyotes and has aspirations for more.
Perhaps BA used the last year to assess where Doan is in terms of his management career/upside and he doesn’t think he’s quite as far along as Doan does. This would have to be handled very delicately. And was always a risk in bringing him onboard in a nebulous, only half serious C-Suite role. It sounded fancy enough to get Doan’s hopes up, but was amorphous enough for BA not to take it too seriously. Being the “Chief Execultive of a Little of This and a Little of That” is a touch risky for all involved.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

rt

May 13, 2004
BA had to scratch and claw and fight for decades to get his shot. And he had to demonstrate real success at every level before moving up to the next. I don’t think “beloved by the community” is a serious enough credential for BA to fast-track anyone.

And we should be thankful for that. This organization is in the hole it’s in partially (or even mainly) because they haven’t put enough emphasis on a proven-track-record of success when selecting ownership, executives, scouts, operations, coaching, players and draft picks. It’s how you end up with a never ending succession of failures like Gretzky, Barnett, LeBlanc, Chayka, etc. And we’ve had so, so much of that for so long. And at every level. Even today there is some. Too much. Less is good.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Perhaps BA used the last year to assess where Doan is in terms of his management career/upside and he doesn’t think he’s quite as far along as Doan does. This would have to be handled very delicately. And was always a risk in bringing him onboard in a nebulous, only half serious C-Suite role. It sounded fancy enough to get Doan’s hopes up, but was amorphous enough for BA not to take it too seriously. Being the “Chief Execultive of a Little of This and a Little of That” is a touch risky for all involved.
Can't think of anyone that was able to gather all the experience they needed with one organization anyways. No matter how high he aspires to go, he's gonna have to get some of that experience elsewhere, so this was inevitable I guess. But yeah, I hope he doesn't feel that he was led on and it's just a 'next step' for him. I'm sure we're gong to get an announcement (when?) that he's involved with something else. I'm not buying the "more time with family" stuff. He's a worker.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have a family member who is an actor and she is like any other person who works for a LIVING. He was captain of horrible teams and hopefully team management tells him to pound sand. The Oil tried to be ex
player friendly with management hires and they were in a waste land for nearly 15 years. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

lol

Reactions: Baby Doaner

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Loyalty is worth something and he stayed around despite having in some cases little talent around him. In many ways the exact opposite of Chychrun in that regard.

I get the ex-player in senior management roles which have not turned out well (with as you mentioned the Oilers being a prime example and of course we can look to Yzerman's work in Tampa and say the opposite). Regardless, I'm happy that they didn't just hand Doan the keys instead of BA and I'm pleased that Doan seems willing to do the work (time with the NHL head office, roles with Hockey Canada). I hope he stays on in some capacity and as his kids get older and more established that he can take on a bigger role in the future of this organization.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Time to move on! He has no more obligation to the Coyotes than to the rest of the NHL, so he is now known as Josh's Dad. The kids have grown up and he is more involved with Canadian hockey. I'm still expecting Josh to sign a contract after the ASU season and burn off a year, so it'll be about a 1/2 year of Doan-less Coyotes!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I saw Doaner at the Development Camp and spoke to him briefly. Asked if he was coming back into his role, he sort of said yes but it was awkward. Didn't want to share this previously ias I didn't want to start a rumor.

At the same time, Josh was being interviewed by a barrage of reporters and sporting a huge gash on his face from practice. Dad was standing in the background with a big grin on his face enjoying his son (not him) getting media attention.

Think that's the reason for stepping away, time to be full-time Dad and Husband,

Last edited:
Reactions: SR and PainForShane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad