News Article: Doan Out

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Generally sounds like Doaner just put too much on his plate and wanted to take some off. Stinks that it’s working with us he’s stepping back from, but it is what it is.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Honestly, I don't think Doan ever wanted to be the Chief Anything Officer for the Coyotes. I think he genuinely wants the franchise to succeed here and took the job out of a sense of duty, but from what he told Friedman it sounds like he'd rather be supportive rather than dictate the direction of the team in any way.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
“Reached by phone on Thursday morning, Doan stressed, “I don’t want this to be seen in any way that hurts the organization. I want the arena bid to be successful for hockey’s long-term future in the Valley.”

So, of course, he wants the franchise to flourish and the sport to be successful here and for hockey, generally to stay in the valley. Sure. Makes sense.

“…he’s a big fan of second-year head coach Andre Tourigny and would help him in any way that’s asked.”

And he likes the coach and says nice things about him.

But what about Armstrong? And Gutierrez? And Meruelo?

I don’t like it. Why did this break in Canada and not with Morgan? Or from the team? I don’t like what it means could signal that Friedman got this first and that the team isn’t talking yet.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Bummer. I'm sure everything is as he says it is, but I also get a strange vibe from this. I need some context with this quote here:

"Doan stressed, "I don’t want this to be seen in any way that hurts the organization.'"

If he just straight up offered that as part of his announcement it would be suspicious to me, if he was specifically answering a question and said that then it wouldn't. Hmmm. I also found it interested that he went out of his way to mention Tourigny and Tourigny only for compliments.

Edit: I just hit submit only to see that I plagiarized @rt lol

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
For me, this adds a tally to the "everything is fine" column. I also wonder though what Morgan means by "could have more going on soon."
That and wants in on Hockey ops and maybe he'll get that opportunity at some point. Why would the Coyotes not want to give him that opportunity?

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'm guessing an even bigger role on team Canada. As much as he loves the Coyotes, his passion and resume benefits way more from working with Team Canada.

Reactions: Grimes

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Does the timing seem odd?

Edit: Feels like he's leaving right before everything he's ever dreamed about comes true. Which makes me think there's more to the story. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Does the timing seem odd?

Edit: Feels like he's leaving right before everything he's ever dreamed about comes true. Which makes me think there's more to the story. I guess we'll find out eventually.
Unless he wants a bigger role in making decisions and leadership isn’t comfortable with that. If he wants to influence things like signings, trades, and picks and he wants to have that influence now, I could see a mutual parting of ways. Especially if Team Canada is willing to expand his role and give him the experience he needs to build his resume. If his goal is to become Sakic, Yzerman, Guerin, etc. I’m okay with him doing that elsewhere.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hes a dad. His daughter is acting. His son is in school. This is a good time for him to focus on them and just play second fiddle to his kids. Shane is a guy who i think wants to be part of hockey ops but at this stage (tanking) its not the time for him to bring his expertise. Take a year or two. Do some work for Hockey Canada. Come back when this team actually wants to improve.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Like in Hollywood?
She has a role in one of those hallmark movies i believe. The one where a girl heads back to her home town and meets an ex boyfriend who is also single and she decides to leave the big city lifestyle behind for love.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hes a dad. His daughter is acting. His son is in school. This is a good time for him to focus on them and just play second fiddle to his kids. Shane is a guy who i think wants to be part of hockey ops but at this stage (tanking) its not the time for him to bring his expertise. Take a year or two. Do some work for Hockey Canada. Come back when this team actually wants to improve.
Think you hit it on the head. Add his wife who pretty much raised the kids by herself 6 months a year for many years. Doan has always been a family and faith guy first.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad