News Article: Doan Out

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I saw Doaner at the Development Camp and spoke to him briefly. Asked if he was coming back into his role, he sort of said yes but it was awkward. Didn't want to share this previously in F40 as I didn't want to start a rumor.

At the same time, Josh was being interviewed by a barrage of reporters and sporting a huge gash on his face from practice. Dad was standing in the background with a big grin on his face enjoying his son (not him) getting media attention.

Think that's the reason for stepping away, time to be full-time Dad and Husband,
Unfortunately the general public prefers dark dirty conspiracy theories......how about if we go with Josh Doan's dad quit in a huff because someone called him Josh Doan's dad, instead of calling his son Shane Doan's son. So petty that Doaner....I mean Josh Doan's dad!

:sarcasm:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

29:50 mark

Hard to interpret that because Friedman obviously WANTS there to be bad blood and WANTS there to be a scandal. So he’s framing it as Doan is too passionate about the market to be honest about how badly he was treated. Meanwhile, the statements from Doan actually read that way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I will say this, when Barroway and Chayka did Doan dirty the last time, he wasn’t shy about letting it rip afterward. And they were in a tough spot financially back then, too.

So while he’s undeniable protective of the franchise, and undeniably sensitive about the situation, there’s no good reason why he should be MORE likely to hush things up than he was the last time he was treated badly. The change in his reaction is more likely to do with how he was treated this time. His reaction is better. His treatment was likely better.

This forum has a serious case of Shleprock Syndrome.
Another way to say that is this forum doesn’t suffer from memory loss.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
STRANG: Son of Cuban Refugees, Turned Business Mogul Becomes Anti-Labor, Possibly Pro-Facsist?

"Sources who withheld their identity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter revealed to me that Doan does not feel he can respect a team administration who does not publicly humiliate him and toss him unceremoniously to the street. 'Shane likely feels like that the exterior politeness the ownership shows is more indicative of English football than of hockey,' one source claims. 'He respects the honesty of people like John Chayka more than the attitudes of tall, goofy-looking blue suiters like Bill Armstrong.'"

Reactions: MIGs Dog

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I wasn't 100% convinced it was about family, but Doan is as honest as you can find. No reason to doubt him since he's elaborated more. If he stresses it's about family, then it's about family.
Doaner mentioned a couple of times when he was on the road for his birthday and the family would have to phone in to wish him a happy birthday (once from Hawaii). Could tell from his tone he missed a lot of that.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Could be something simple as removing himself as didn't want to interfere with his son's development ?
I always got the impression that a legend like Shane would be welcomed to interfere with anyone's development. I think it has more to do with focusing on family and Canadian hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad