Series Discussion: Do you want the Flames to lose the Flames vs Jets series?

Are you secretly hoping for the Flames to lose the series against the Jets?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I do.
If the Flames lose they have a 1 in 8 chance of drafting #1.
If the Flames fail to win the lottery they will still get to draft somewhere between the 9-13 spot.
The Jets, Wild, Yotes, Blackhawks, and Habs all finished lower than the Flames. If those teams all win their series the Flames will draft 9th (assuming they don't win the Lafreniere lottery). If the Wild, Yotes, Blackhawks, and Habs all lose the Flames will draft 13th.

Here are Sportsnet's top 20 player rankings as published on June 25..

1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL): There’s a completeness to his game that simply says “pro.” There’s a quiet confidence that will allow him to overcome first overall pressure and excel at what he’s best at.

2. Tim Stutzle, LW, Mannheim (DEL): There’s enough track record that he projects at centre in the NHL and that may be enough for him to pass Byfield.

3. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL): Great player already with great size and a ton of growth potential still ahead of him.

4. Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda (SHL): Moves so well with great vision and that combination will allow him to make his NHL linemates better.

5. Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa 67’s (OHL): Highly competitive, super smart, easily coached and a strong lower half that should make up for perceived size issues.

6. Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie Otters (OHL): Plays with poise well beyond his years. Elite skating ability will work effectively in all three zones.

7. Jake Sanderson, D, (USNTDP): A natural-born leader who was just starting to show a more potent offensive side to his game before the shutdown.

8. Cole Perfetti, LW/C, Saginaw Spirit (OHL): Is a magician in the offensive zone with his ability to change pace and find teammates. Goal-scoring has always been part of the skill-set.

9. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djugarden (SHL): Elite shooting and goal-scoring ability should translate to the NHL.

10. Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa 67’s (OHL): Takes care of the little details that have helped improve his all-around game. Amongst the best-in-class goal-scorers.

11. Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga): A safe pick who has performed well in a variety of roles with peers internationally and with older players in league play.

12. Yarolslav Askarov, G, SKA (VHL): Has been a star internationally and in the VHL. Look past his WJC performance and realize he’s the best goalie available.

13. Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL): Has experienced the perfect developmental curve in having to earn his chops as a youngster, and then progressing to big minutes in his second season. Excellent skater with a serious mean streak to his game.

14. Dawson Mercer, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL): His passion and energy are infectious. Possesses excellent hands and shooting ability. Built for the small-space game.

15. Dylan Holloway, C, Wisconsin (NCAA): Plays a power forward game that is highlighted by elite skating ability.

16. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops Blazers (WHL): Super smart, energetic player who handles pressure well. In-tune with the defensive game and should produce at NHL second-line pace.

17. Rodion Amirov, LW, UFA (VHL): Hard-working, skilled player who understands how to play both ends effectively.

18. Braden Schneider, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): A safe bet as a more than capable defender with offensive upside that may develop down the road.

19. Seth Jarvis, C, Portland Winterhawks (WHL): Right shot centre who took off in the second half. Definitely a player who would’ve benefitted from a playoff run on a young team.

20. Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL): Neck issues were originally thought to be concussion issues. Limited in-season play will have some teams concerned, but if healthy, he’s a steal anywhere past 10.

Sportsnet's 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: Lottery edition - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: viper0220

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No. I want them to win.

We have a lot of depth, and NO ONE has any kind of momentum. We got rocked by the Avs last year because they started to rise at the right time, along with hot goaltending.

The Jets have no D, we just need to worry about Hellebuyck. Again, no momentum for anyone so it’s anyone’s game.

If we lose the series, then a 1/8 chance for Lafreniere is nice. But it’s not what I hope for. Will I absolutely jump off my couch that we win Lafreniere (if the hockey gods allow it)? Hell yes!

But it’s not my first hope. I want the Flames to put in 110%, to try and get past a team that wasn’t even supposed to be in the playoffs. They might have the better forwards, but we have the better depth. Even without Hamonic we still have the better D core that has what it takes to get far.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Definitely not hoping for it, but it’s good consolation if we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: viper0220

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Nah, Ride the lightning and hope they get it done. If not Laf is a decent lottery ticket.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Does anyone really believe that if they get past Winnipeg, the Flames have the talent to beat the Blues or the Avs in the next round?

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this is how the season ended and St Louis was playing without Tarasenko and the Avs were without Rantanen.

GPWINSLOSSESOT LOSSESPTSPTS%
1 Boston704414121000.714
2 St Louis71421910940.662
3 Colorado7042208920.657
4 Tampa Bay7043216920.657
5 Washington6941208900.652
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GPWINSLOSSESOT LOSSESPTSPTS%
19 Calgary ... . 7036277790.564
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Did anyone believe the Jackets had the “talent” to not only beat, but sweep the Bolts?

There are upsets every year, and so much more goes into it than talent alone. Hockey is the most random of the major sports, and it’s cliche but really anything can happen.

Plus, nobody says it will be St. Louis we play. Seeding hasn’t been determined. For all we know we could end up playing Dallas or Vegas.

That’s just me though, you’ll never catch me cheering for a loss, no matter the consolation prize.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The danger with St. Louis is them boring you to death. Just a well-oiled machine with no personality whatsoever

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Did anyone believe the Jackets had the “talent” to not only beat, but sweep the Bolts?

There are upsets every year, and so much more goes into it than talent alone. Hockey is the most random of the major sports, and it’s cliche but really anything can happen.

Plus, nobody says it will be St. Louis we play. Seeding hasn’t been determined. For all we know we could end up playing Dallas or Vegas.

That’s just me though, you’ll never catch me cheering for a loss, no matter the consolation prize.
I'm pretty sure the winner of the Flames vs Jets series will play St Louis. Ive seen multiple references where the winner of the Jets/Flames series will play St Louis next.
Also, St Louis is not Tampa Bay. The Blues, reigning cup champions, know what it takes to win in the playoffs .They also have a healthy Tarasenko in the lineup..

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure the winner of the Flames vs Jets series will play St Louis. Ive seen multiple references where the winner of the Jets/Flames series will play St Louis next.
Also, St Louis is not Tampa Bay. The Blues, reigning cup champions, know what it takes to win in the playoffs .They also have a healthy Tarasenko in the lineup..
The top teams play a round robin for their seeding. So we really have no idea what the next opponent will be in round 1.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Well, the Lightning lost in 7 in the Conference finals to the eventual champs just the year before being upset. So they were no slouch for playoff experience

Regardless, matchups are still dependent on 1) The results of the round robin, and 2) The results of the play in round

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'd much prefer a deep playoff run to losing in the play-in but I also question who they can beat of the top 4 seeds. Maybe Dallas?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think they could take Colorado this time around
Brave. I don't have that faith. I think the Blues would be tough being the cup champs and all, and Vegas is currently my favorite to come out of the west.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brave. I don't have that faith. I think the Blues would be tough being the cup champs and all, and Vegas is currently my favorite to come out of the west.
I think Colorado is a better built version of the Oilers, and once we stopped being so afraid of McDavid we were able to find a way to beat them. They just have to find that courage with MacKinnon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone really believe that if they get past Winnipeg, the Flames have the talent to beat the Blues in the next round?

It shouldn't be overlooked what the ramifications of beating the Jets would be. Most of the desire to lose stems from a lack of belief that this team is capable of competing in the playoffs. The only way we win the series is if that isn't true.

If they win against the Jets, they are capable of competing in the playoffs, so given that, why would we not want them to push as far as they can? There is no downside to cheering the team on.

Reactions: User1996

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
It shouldn't be overlooked what the ramifications of beating the Jets would be. Most of the desire to lose stems from a lack of belief that this team is capable of competing in the playoffs. The only way we win the series is if that isn't true.

If they win against the Jets, they are capable of competing in the playoffs, so given that, why would we not want them to push as far as they can? There is no downside to cheering the team on.
It's just the sheer amount of beer I'll be thinking about drinking... It's intimidating.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad