Do you want Ovechkin to break Gretzky's goal record?

Do you want him to score 895 and pass Gretzky?

• Yes- History will be made

Votes: 416 55.1%
  • No- Screw him

Votes: 339 44.9%

• Total voters

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I didn’t mean to pick on him, he was a good player. Sort of like a… I dunno, Jeff Skinner level talent? Was just looking for someone who clearly wouldn’t have hit 55 in a modern environment. In fairness I probably should have gone with Craig Simpson who had 54 and is forgotten even more than Ogrodnick, who had a respectable 400 goal career.
Fair enough, we can go down the list by the same token looking at 40 goal guys who wouldn't hit that mark today. But Rick Kehoe is a good one to pick out for 55 guys who've disappeared into the shadows, or a Charlie Simmer.

Mike Bullard is a name that I'd nominate for inflated due to era stats even though he did have a legitimate season leading his team in points by a margin. This guy had 51, 48 and 41 goal campaigns. He played in Germany for much of his 30s after the NHL. His 48 campaign came on a pretty stacked Flames team where he was 3rd in goals and 2nd in points. And maybe Flames fans remember him fondly but he has no mainstream recognition and I think most would agree he'd struggle to his 40 today and probably be a high 20 goal guy. Tomas Sandstrom is another guy who in addition to inflated stats overall played on some pretty great teams where he had guys aiding his stats even more. By himself in the modern era he would struggle with 25+ but he had years of 45 (in 68), 40 (in 64), 35, 32, 32. Yeah some injuries his way for sure but still.

And then there's Lanny McDonald who the more I've looked at him the worst he becomes as a Hall of Famer. Literally a prime example of a good connections guy getting in as his 66 goal season is such an outlier and no other 50 goal campaign despite some high scoring seasons league wide. Not a very good plus/minus either to combat his offensive mediocrity.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And what the Caps are doing w/ Ovechkin is no different than Florida with Tkachuk - a proven 40 goal scorer with less goals than Ovechkin. Both teams are sticking with proven players to try to get them going. I mean Tkachuk is receiving the 2nd most ice time of his career.
This didn't age well.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mike Bullard is a name that I'd nominate for inflated due to era stats even though he did have a legitimate season leading his team in points by a margin.
Only eight Penguins in franchise history have more goals than Bullard despite him only playing less than 400 games there, and he did that with generally very weak linemates. Being one of only eight Flames to score 100 points in a season is just the cherry on top. Unfortunately he also had an alcohol problem that would affect his NHL career, but managed to go dry in Europe and broke more records there.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Green

Nov 13, 2019
If he really has a drop off and he is going to hang around until he is 45 than no I don't hope he breaks it

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This didn't age well.

It did age well.

Both Calgary and Washington stuck with their proven players through difficult times and are now being rewarded for it.

Ovi looks remarkably lighter on his feet since the all-star break (much needed rest). He's more engaged in the play also.
His stats (11pts in 8 games) are a reflection of this.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It did age well.
No it really didn't as you were comparing Ovechkin with Tkachuk who is like 10 years younger coming off a serious injury.

Both Calgary and Washington stuck with their proven players through difficult times and are now being rewarded for it.
No idea on why you are talking about Calagary here.

Ovi looks remarkably lighter on his feet since the all-star break (much needed rest).

He's more engaged in the play also.
Maybe more recently but I saw 3 games post lockout and described what he does on the PP and he never wins puck battles and is rarely a zone entry threat.

Time will tell but father time always wins.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
No it really didn't as you were comparing Ovechkin with Tkachuk who is like 10 years younger coming off a serious injury.

Time will tell but father time always wins.

Nope. Same thing. They were teams who were giving ice time to proven scorers even though they werent producing. Worked out for both in the end.

And, yes, father time always wins. But your opinion that Ovechkin is totally cooked is being proven premature.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nope. Same thing. They were teams who were giving ice time to proven scorers even though they werent producing. Worked out for both in the end.

And, yes, father time always wins. But your opinion that Ovechkin is totally cooked is being proven premature.
People keep pointing to the points yet no one is disputing my observations on his actual play.

Not sure why people are thinking that a 38 year old player who floats and shoots and basically doesn't do a heck of alot else out there is strange.

It's not like Corey Perry is driving play for the Oilers either right?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
People keep pointing to the points yet no one is disputing my observations on his actual play.

Not sure why people are thinking that a 38 year old player who floats and shoots and basically doesn't do a heck of alot else out there is strange.

It's not like Corey Perry is driving play for the Oilers either right?

Nobody is disputing your observations because they're subjective. Might as well say the sky is green too. You've been reduced to subjectivity because nothing else supports your opinions.

"Forget that #8 is leading the Caps in scoring and has 21 pts in his last 19 gms. My eyes tell me he's washed up! Prove me wrong!

Okay there, Ace.

• Wow
Reactions: wetcoast

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Ovi looks remarkably lighter on his feet since the all-star break (much needed rest). He's more engaged in the play also.
Strong possibility he was playing through an injury as he also sat for three games just before the ASB.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Is Corey Perry leading the Oilers in points?
No he isn't.

You know also what isn't happening?

He isn't being gifted minutes reserved for elite players.

Perry is being used according to his skill set and abilities at this point, Ovi is being gifted MPG and usage in order to score goals and the production is severely lacking.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No he isn't.

Perry is being used according to his skill set and abilities at this point, Ovi is being gifted MPG and usage in order to score goals and the production is severely lacking.

Ovechkin leads the Capitals in points and points per game.

Your posts on this subject are not logical.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Yes, please. Ovechkin was a far better goalscorer (not overall player)

Career points, assists, goals lists are dominated by guys who were fortunate enough to play in the 70s and 80s.

Of course Gretzky was special, but moreso as a passer, but when I look at alltime lists three names really stand out due to WHEN they played - Howe, Jagr and Ovechkin in goals. Crosby making a case in points, too. But a 9 time season goal leader? He is the best goalscorer ever, and he belongs at the top.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
No he isn't.

where are these elite players on washington? who should they give these mins too that will score more then Ovi? the caps dont have any players that they are benching/short shifting for Ovi. Your argument would have some ground if the caps had a bedard type player that they werent playing so Ovi could get the record. The caps do not have any up and coming players or even established players that would score more then Ovi

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovechkin leads the Capitals in points and points per game.

Your posts on this subject are not logical.
Typical you are pointing at stats and ignoring my description of his usage and play but that's fine everyone can watch for themselves.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
where are these elite players on washington? who should they give these mins too that will score more then Ovi? the caps dont have any players that they are benching/short shifting for Ovi. Your argument would have some ground if the caps had a bedard type player that they werent playing so Ovi could get the record. The caps do not have any up and coming players or even established players that would score more then Ovi
At this point given Ovi ESGF/ESGA it could be any of the other top 6 guys getting bumps in ice time but with Kuz out that's harder sure.

The there isn't anyone else argument is really srtaing to fall flat on it's face 5 on 5 as well as he is -18 on that Caps team and watching him play really confirms that.

But even the most ardent Ovi supporter must realize that Ovi being 3rd in TOI on the PP in the entire NHL and having a stat line of 7-10-17 on the PP (good for a tie for 50th) is out of wack right?

Anthony Mantha is a UFA after this season they could play him more and showcase his skills to get a better return on a trade for the future?

Do you have a link to the QOC he’s up against?
No I don't but his offensive zone starts are tops on the team and he is 3rd in the entire NHL is PP TOI and tied for 50th in PPP and 38th for PPG.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Yes, please. Ovechkin was a far better goalscorer (not overall player)

Career points, assists, goals lists are dominated by guys who were fortunate enough to play in the 70s and 80s.

Of course Gretzky was special, but moreso as a passer, but when I look at alltime lists three names really stand out due to WHEN they played - Howe, Jagr and Ovechkin in goals. Crosby making a case in points, too. But a 9 time season goal leader? He is the best goalscorer ever, and he belongs at the top.
What about Lemieux and Bobby Hull? Hull had the record in league lead goals at 7 before Ovechkin broke it and he would have likely been in the 800 club had he stayed in the NHL meanwhile Lemieux did lead a few seasons but his GPG is way up there. Meanwhile Brett Hull aside from that torrid 3 year stretch had two more 50 goal campaigns well in the 90s (2nd place finish) with decline as a late bloomer while in the lowest scoring era hitting 37 at age 38 and 39 at 36. He finished 8th and 14th those last two mentioned.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad