Do you think Gretzky was right about Lemiuex/Yzerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
The_Eck said:
Oh please give me a break!!! Do you actually believe they are losing any sleep after losing to the Russians?? Please!! They hop on a plane, then they go back to their mansions to make love to their trophy wives. The lost to the russians is completely forgotten the next day. If you call that pressure then I would love to experience this way of life.

Real pressure, is somebody having to work 12 hour shifts and being worried that he has enough income to support his family day in and day out. Stop being so delusional.

This is funny. So you actually think these athletes dont work hard? Do you think they have slept through life to be where they are? They have worked as hard as anyone else who is at the top of their profession. And it is ridiculous to say they arent under pressure or are are just some sort of slack offs. Mansions just dont appear out of nowhere.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
jd84 said:
This is funny. So you actually think these athletes dont work hard? Do you think they have slept through life to be where they are? They have worked as hard as anyone else who is at the top of their profession. And it is ridiculous to say they arent under pressure or are are just some sort of slack offs. Mansions just dont appear out of nowhere.

Sure they train hard and so forth, but do you actually think the life of a professional athlete is stressful?? I'd take their way of life any day of the week, playing a game for a living.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
The_Eck said:
Sure they train hard and so forth, but do you actually think the life of a professional athlete is stressful?? I'd take their way of life any day of the week, playing a game for a living.

What part of their life? When they have to perform on the ice? I am sure they are under pressure. When they are in their mansions having a good time? I am sure they arent under prssure but they have woked hard for that leisure.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
jd84 said:
What part of their life? When they have to perform on the ice? I am sure they are under pressure. When they are in their mansions having a good time? I am sure they arent under prssure but they have woked hard for that leisure.

These guys were born with unbelievable talent. Heck, Lemieux never practiced during his younger years. I wouldn't necessarily call it hard work when you're practicing how to put a puck in a net. And how long is practice?? A couple of hours a day?? It's called physical conditioning mostly, and as for myself I enjoy practicing or working out whether it's hockey or lifting weights.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
The_Eck said:
These guys were born with unbelievable talent. Heck, Lemieux never practiced during his younger years. I wouldn't necessarily call it hard work when you're practicing how to put a puck in a net. And how long is practice?? A couple of hours a day?? It's called physical conditioning mostly, and as for myself I enjoy practicing or working out whether it's hockey or lifting weights.

Is it me or you have some sort of inferiority complex with NHL players? Yeah, they have talent but they did work on it. You think you work out as much as these NHL players? You think you could survive a 60 minute game against them? I cant believe you are comparing yourself with them. Just because they make alot of money doesnt mean they arent human.

and how do you know Lemieux never practiced? Got any proof?

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
jd84 said:
Is it me or you have some sort of inferiority complex with NHL players? Yeah, they have talent but they did work on it. You think you work out as much as these NHL players? You think you could survive a 60 minute game against them? I cant believe you are comparing yourself with them. Just because they make alot of money doesnt mean they arent human.

and how do you know Lemieux never practiced? Got any proof?

Lemieux never worked out and didn't practice hard when he was younger. He admits this himself in his autobiography. Read it yourself.

YOu fail to understand my point. I'm just explaining how the term pressure is thrown around to loosely. Quite frankly the ones with the real pressure are actually the head coaches, that i'll agree with. If the coach loses, then his job is in doubt. As for the actual superstar player, he simply comes back the next game and tries to put out a better effort than the previous game.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
The_Eck said:
Lemieux never worked out and didn't practice hard when he was younger. He admits this himself in his autobiography. Read it yourself.

YOu fail to understand my point. I'm just explaining how the term pressure is thrown around to loosely. Quite frankly the ones with the real pressure are actually the head coaches, that i'll agree with. If the coach loses, then his job is in doubt. As for the actual superstar player, he simply comes back the next game and tries to put out a better effort than the previous game.

There is no doubt that the coaches are under pressure but it is ridiculous to suggest it is any different for the players. Yeah, they try harder the next game because they are working for someone therefore they have to a.k.a pressure. The players do care about playing the game.

And Lemieux is a special case. He was very talented but to suggest an average NHL player doesnt work out or eat healthy is ridiculous.

Let's just agree to disagree seeing as this is getting nowhere.

James Ownz Harper*

I've only read the first page.

But Messier is a much better leader than Lemieux or Yzerman... but the fact is they were all too old.

SuperUke99

Oct 2, 2005
Calgary
The_Eck said:
Oh please give me a break!!! Do you actually believe they are losing any sleep after losing to the Russians?? Please!! They hop on a plane, then they go back to their mansions to make love to their trophy wives. The lost to the russians is completely forgotten the next day. If you call that pressure then I would love to experience this way of life.

Real pressure, is somebody having to work 12 hour shifts and being worried that he has enough income to support his family day in and day out. Stop being so delusional.

Above is a typical comment from a french canadian with a visor....
If you dont think that loss will have an effect on any of those players watch the next 30 or so games in the NHL. There will be a post Olympic hangover, I assure you. You work 12hrs a day, boo hoo and welcome to the real world.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
The_Eck said:

keyword: this is their lives

they train and train and train, and ENTIRE COUNTRY is watching them.

yes, it's incredibly stressfull nomatter how you slice it.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
SuperUke99 said:
Above is a typical comment from a french canadian with a visor....
If you dont think that loss will have an effect on any of those players watch the next 30 or so games in the NHL. There will be a post Olympic hangover, I assure you. You work 12hrs a day, boo hoo and welcome to the real world.

First of all, just because i live in MTL doesn't mean i'm french canadian, i happen to be an anglo. I could also tell that you are very biggoted towards french canadians.

Secondly, i don't work 12hrs/day, i was just giving an example.

And lastly, i do not believe that this lost will have a lingering effect on the Canadian players. Their NHL teams are far more important to them then the olympics.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Metallian said:
keyword: this is their lives

they train and train and train, and ENTIRE COUNTRY is watching them.

yes, it's incredibly stressfull nomatter how you slice it.

I doubt it's stressful for the canadian professional hockey players. For heaven's sake, they bring along their whole families to the olympics. It's like a little vacation for them. But for the rest of the Canadian athletes (ie: cindy klassen, beckie scott....), it is stressful. Don't even compare the NHL Canadian players to the REAL athletes at the olympics.

A Good Flying Bird*

MOGiLNY said:
I just have a hard time believing that this team lacked leadership. I mean how many of Canada's players are captains,former captains or alternate captains on their NHL teams?

Blake
Foote
McCabe
Pronger
Redden
Iginla
Thornton
Sakic
Richards
Doan
Lecavalier
Nash
Smyth

How many of those guys are legends? Other than Sakic, there aren't really any elder statesmen in the group.
I really think Shanahan should have been there.

Randall Graves*

Canada has plenty of talent, having a Lemieux or Yzerman would deflect attention from some of the other guys IMO.

Weren't alot of these guys together for the world cup when they won? Sure maybe they could've used a guy like Crosby(they may have been protecting him if you think about it)

Ogopogo*

Alberta Yote said:
I don't see the players that were picked as the problem, there was enough talent and proven scoring there to have a chance to win. If guys like Staal, Spezza, Crosy, Phaneuf, etc, didn't even exist this team would have been considered one of the favourites going itno the Games.

The problem is that the team didn't come together and almost everyone underachieved. That is a combination of coaching, systems put in place, line combos, and player motivation (both from within the players themselves and from coaches). This comes down to management and coaching yes. But not player selection.

You have the best avatar I have ever seen.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Resolute said:
Must have fluked out when we won all of those gold medals in the world Juniors in the 20-some years since Mario graduated into the pro ranks.
How many did we win in those 20 years?

I'm not saying we suck, I'm saying we are not heads and shoulder above the rest of the planet, as some people seem to think. Hopefully, looking at last years lock-out-induced stacked-WJ-team result, we will be back on our throne in a few years again.

The_Eck said:

Real pressure, is somebody having to work 12 hour shifts and being worried that he has enough income to support his family day in and day out. Stop being so delusional..
I see its late in Montreal while you are posting this. Are you drunk, or do you really think the way your posts indicate. If so, wow.

KrisKing*

The_Eck said:
I doubt it's stressful for the canadian professional hockey players. For heaven's sake, they bring along their whole families to the olympics. It's like a little vacation for them. But for the rest of the Canadian athletes (ie: cindy klassen, beckie scott....), it is stressful. Don't even compare the NHL Canadian players to the REAL athletes at the olympics.

So NHLers aren't real athletes now? And what if cindy klassen's family is in Italy too, does that mean she's not a real athlete anymore either? Your argument is actually getting weaker the more you say.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
KrisKing said:
So NHLers aren't real athletes now? And what if cindy klassen's family is in Italy too, does that mean she's not a real athlete anymore either? Your argument is actually getting weaker the more you say.

Learn to read, i'm talking about the stress and pressure level between amateur athletes and NHL pros. Such ignorance.

KrisKing*

The_Eck said:
Learn to read, i'm talking about the stress and pressure level between amateur athletes and NHL pros. Such ignorance.

So amateur athletes are under more stress and pressure than hockey players that have millions of people watch them and critique their work pretty much all year. As opposed to those that nobody cares about other than for a couple weeks every four years. And all this means that they are REAL athletes. This makes hockey players what? Something like hobbyists?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The_Eck said:

Why don't you ask Bill Buckner, if you can track him down in South Dakota. Or he he was still alive, the California Angels relief pitcher who killed himself years after he could not close out the playoff series against the Red Sox in 1986.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
8snake said:
Not trying to be direspectful here, but personally I dont consider Mario a "leader". Never really have. Maybe his aura as a hall of fame, all time great was missed in the locker room, but as far as leadership qualities....I never thought he posessed an abundance of those to begin with.

Thanks for having the guts to stand up and say this! Being a generational talent doesn't make you a leader. Many of the best leaders in hockey are the guys that absolutely have to bust their asses to contribute - guys like Dirk Graham or Kelly Buchberger. I don't see how having Mario or Stevie Y around and this point would be a benefit to the team.

It seems that people are saying "we needed more speed and skill, so Staal & Crosby should of been there", and "we needed more leadership, so Yzerman & Lemiuex should be there". Those 2 things are diametrically opposed. Anyone see Mario or Stevie Y play this year? If they were needed, they should of been on the coaching staff if anything, because they aren't able to contribute on the ice.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
KrisKing said:
So amateur athletes are under more stress and pressure than hockey players that have millions of people watch them and critique their work pretty much all year. As opposed to those that nobody cares about other than for a couple weeks every four years. And all this means that they are REAL athletes. This makes hockey players what? Something like hobbyists?

You have no idea what the amateurs have to do to succeed. They are training since 5am, going to school and having part-time jobs to pay for the training. Hockey players are athletes, but in terms of pressure and stress there is no comparison, the amateurs are the embodiement of the olympic spirit.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
daver said:
Why don't you ask Bill Buckner, if you can track him down in South Dakota. Or he he was still alive, the California Angels relief pitcher who killed himself years after he could not close out the playoff series against the Red Sox in 1986.

That relief pitcher's tradegy is more related to his personal life than what happened on the baseball field.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
The_Eck said:
You have no idea what the amateurs have to do to succeed. They are training since 5am, going to school and having part-time jobs to pay for the training. Hockey players are athletes, but in terms of pressure and stress there is no comparison, the amateurs are the embodiement of the olympic spirit.
Why do you say that someone has no idea? How many olympic athletes do you know?

I have friends that are on the World Cup ski circuit (freestyle and dh) and went to Salt Lake, and you are out to lunch. Sorry.

Everyone at the games trains hard and has pressure. NHLers and amatuers alike.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Cawz said:
Why do you say that someone has no idea? How many olympic athletes do you know?

I have friends that are on the World Cup ski circuit (freestyle and dh) and went to Salt Lake, and you are out to lunch. Sorry.

Everyone at the games trains hard and has pressure. NHLers and amatuers alike.

Actually i've known two amateur athletes who went to Mcgill University. The training regimen along with their part-time jobs and studies is really stressful. Don't even compare the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad