Do you hate your job?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
People generally don't leave jobs. They leave managers.

Left mine (a senior level position) after 12+ years. Found a new company with values that align to mine and we are building something positive.

It's stressful to leave but if the company that it is now is no longer the company it was .... what's the point in staying? Only one ride on this thing called life, why be miserable while on it?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I work at home and my job isn't all that difficult most of the time and can be interesting enough. I tend to be on call at all random hours of the day since I have a worldwide position, but it's not too bad. My manager is pretty chill if I need to run out for an hour or two to run errands. Overall, I can't complain.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Nope I'm living my dream job. The only thing that I 'hate' about it is when my students don't practice!

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
more than I can say, but I think the thing I hate about my job the most is waking up "early", I just can't go to sleep until around 3esh and I am lucky if I am getting 5 hours a night

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I've been in Human Resources for 10+ years, do I love it? Eh...do I hate it? Not really. It's a job that helps pay the bills, which is all I can hope for right now.

The one thing I do dislike though, is in this field, trying to go further up the ladder, a lot who are there now, and make a lot more than I do, appear to know and do a lot less, which is disheartening and makes you wonder how they got there in the first place. Then again, that seems to be a common trend these days.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I really hate it. On the one hand, there's a lot to like about it - great pay, benefits, support...but i'm bored AF. I have upward mobility available at my job, the problem is I have zero desire to move up on the 'available ladder'. Really I just want to find something completely new to do but don't know what. The trick is figuring it out w/o causing problems w/ my current situation.

Reactions: Jot

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I love my job. I work as a Therapist/Caseworker for individuals with severe mental illnesses.

The work is incredibly fulfilling and the relationships I've built with my co-workers and clients can't be explained. The agency I work for treats us employees very well, I have a solid retirement plan set-up at only 26 years old. I've bought a home in the community and very much enjoy the area and people I am surrounded by.

The pay isn't incredible, but it's enough for what I need + a little more.

However:

I have worked many factory jobs, manual labor, and fast food joints throughout college and shortly after. It's demoralizing to go to a job that you hate because before you get there you spend most of your day thinking about how you don't want to be there. When you get home you often spend time thinking about how crappy that job was. And if you have any sort of commute that is just unpaid time that you're dedicating to a life-sucking job. I feel your pain, brother, I do.

I'm in a treatment center right now so it's people like you that are helping save my life. And for that I thank you

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I've come to the realization that I hate my job of 13 years.

The work is certainly unfulfilling. Comes with the usual deadline stress. However, I think the biggest thing for me is the amount of time I'm spending at the office. I now look at my eight and a half hour work day as a burden on my life. It just sucks the energy right out of me that I am not enjoying the rest of my day. My highlight is going to bed. When I do have free time it seems that I just want to recoup. No time left for hobbies or anything else productive.

I don't expect any sympathy. It is a first world problem. I just wanted to see how many others out there feel the same way.

What office job are you doing? Please give it to me if you hate it that much. Maybe it's the way I was brought up, but I'm literally allergic to blue collar work haha, unless it's being a bartender and dealing with customers, or baking goods and dealing with customers (I really enjoy working with customers, I can't explain it, I actually hate doing warehouse/factory, etc. intense labour jobs).

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm doing a fundraiser job now which is nice minus having to be in the cold freezing weather all the time. My previous two jobs were a moving company that I was fired because I wasn't physically conditioned enough to lift extremely heavy s*** and having to climb up and down the stairs, but I've been trying to condition myself otherwise. My warehouse job I absolutely hated. My manager told me he would kick my gluteus maximus if I make a mistake again, and my co-workers were outright rude and could barely speak English. They were also very lazy. Like why call me to pick up something that's a meter away from walking? Honestly. I really want to be a server, or work in Cineplex because I like an environment that allows you to have conversations and work with customers, bring a smile to people's faces and enjoy yourself as well.

Reactions: Jot

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Sorry you're having such a rough time, Rob.

I love my job and find it quite intellectually stimulating. I also love the company I work for.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
i love my job. i climb steel beams and build bridges and sky scrapers. there is nothing better than sitting down and eating lunch on top of a bridge looking out over the chesapeake bay. when i was putting up a skeleton in downtown dallas i even got flashed by two women in the building across the street.
great pay, union benefits, free travel around the world, free hotels, meal money per day.......whats not to like?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Generally yes, however my job has such a high turnover rate that most of the time when I'm training somebody they are gone within 3-4 months which gets frustrating. This year alone I've trained like 6 people and the longest one lasted was 6 months, on average 2-3 months :rolleyes:

But other than that its ok mostly because the manager trusts me enough and I'm not overly supervised and is very laid back towards me so that helps

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I worked in a big company ...with a nice pension plan. If I doing a job "I didn't like", there was opportunities to go elsewhere quite easily. But will agree with some, it's not the company that pisses you off the most, it's incompetent superiors. I'm retired now, and I must say, I was never in a situation where I wanted to quit the company. Part of my internal success was to make yourself valuable so other departments/shifts/locations would gladly take you.
Of course many employers now have a stagnant work force numbers, or are downsizing. Maybe there isn't the same opportunity for lateral movement in a company. My suggestion to folks in the workforce. Keep yourself updated by going to school or company courses. Make yourself known and valuable to other folks in your company or other companies. And never complain about your work or your company. No one wants a whiner (even if the whiner is factually correct)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad