Do you hate your job?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I've come to the realization that I hate my job of 13 years.

The work is certainly unfulfilling. Comes with the usual deadline stress. However, I think the biggest thing for me is the amount of time I'm spending at the office. I now look at my eight and a half hour work day as a burden on my life. It just sucks the energy right out of me that I am not enjoying the rest of my day. My highlight is going to bed. When I do have free time it seems that I just want to recoup. No time left for hobbies or anything else productive.

I don't expect any sympathy. It is a first world problem. I just wanted to see how many others out there feel the same way.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not most of the time. Usually I'm in a place where I can say: "I don't hate this."

Of course I do have almost a decade of seniority as a machinist where I work, and I have minions I can delegate the really boring stuff to.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Yeah but I get shit on at my job. 13 years is almost unheard of today, take a look for something else. Just don't quit until you have another job lined up.

Sep 19, 2008
I've come to the realization that I hate my job of 13 years.

The work is certainly unfulfilling. Comes with the usual deadline stress. However, I think the biggest thing for me is the amount of time I'm spending at the office. I now look at my eight and a half hour work day as a burden on my life. It just sucks the energy right out of me that I am not enjoying the rest of my day. My highlight is going to bed. When I do have free time it seems that I just want to recoup. No time left for hobbies or anything else productive.

I don't expect any sympathy. It is a first world problem. I just wanted to see how many others out there feel the same way.
Leave

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
My job is great. I have my own business teaching guitar lessons part time and I make more money then I would at a full time job.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's no different from any other part of my life, although I suppose there's not as much self-loathing as you get elsewhere.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I quit my shitty job of 6 1/2 years back in September.

It involved a ton of physical labor, we were working seven days a week, usually more than 8 hours per. I missed two days in a row due to exhaustion and minor injuries, and when I woke up to go back on day 3, I just didn't know why anymore.

I was actually thinking to myself as I was driving in, "how much time off could I get if my car went left of center right now?" When you start having thoughts like that, it's time to split.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
No but the job I had before I couldn't tolerate anymore. I was absolutely furious when their idea of "We're going to put you in a position that is best for you and all of us" was me being a part of their new day labor crew because the guy and his crew before left due to the boss and him/them despising one another. Should of left at that moment but stuck it out hoping it was just a temporary thing.

Told them after about a year of doing it (at first it was kind of off and on with me being able to go back to my regular duties w/o interruption, but then came a bunch of new construction jobs and they said 'Nope, you're going back out in the labor force, we need you there', they really didn't), that either they give me my old job back or I'm out. They refused, I left. From what I've heard, the guy who took my job was fired like a month into it because he was caught stealing company tools, and the guy after him was fired for burning a hotel bed on an out-of-town assignment because he was smoking in the hotel room :facepalm: Have no idea if they hired a third guy.

I know the feeling OP.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't necessarily love my job. I feel somewhat unfulfilled sometimes. I think it might just be inherent to my personality. I wish that I could be an entrepreneur and work for myself, but I really don't have it in me, I don't think.

I'm happy that I have a job that allows me to provide and live a really good life. But yeah, I wouldn't say I'm super happy.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't necessarily love my job. I feel somewhat unfulfilled sometimes. I think it might just be inherent to my personality. I wish that I could be an entrepreneur and work for myself, but I really don't have it in me, I don't think.

I'm happy that I have a job that allows me to provide and live a really good life. But yeah, I wouldn't say I'm super happy.

Start a startup like @ChickenBurrito

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Start a startup like @ChickenBurrito

I work for a startup now, and we are in the process of potentially being acquired by microsoft (ceo/cto really pushing the payout), and it's hella stressful. I'm on board with startups, but I definitely don't want to run one, and I don't particularly like the post-VC stage that is all about recouping the investment.

Reactions: G F O P

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I love my job. I work as a Therapist/Caseworker for individuals with severe mental illnesses.

The work is incredibly fulfilling and the relationships I've built with my co-workers and clients can't be explained. The agency I work for treats us employees very well, I have a solid retirement plan set-up at only 26 years old. I've bought a home in the community and very much enjoy the area and people I am surrounded by.

The pay isn't incredible, but it's enough for what I need + a little more.

However:

I have worked many factory jobs, manual labor, and fast food joints throughout college and shortly after. It's demoralizing to go to a job that you hate because before you get there you spend most of your day thinking about how you don't want to be there. When you get home you often spend time thinking about how crappy that job was. And if you have any sort of commute that is just unpaid time that you're dedicating to a life-sucking job. I feel your pain, brother, I do.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad