Do you care that the NHL isn't going to the olympics

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
Yes, I would have loved to see team USA this year. That being said, Canada was so dominant last year the games were pretty boring so I'm not too mad about it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Does anyone else think Olympic hockey would be much more entertaining if countries could enter multiple teams? I mean for individual sports you can have like 4 skiers from each country so why not for team sports as well. Hold an olympic trial tournament to decide who qualifies. I think it'll be much more interesting to see Canada A vs Canada B instead of Canada vs some random garbage team from Europe.

Problem with that is why you never see kopitar in the olympics. Nhl players that would be going can't be at the trials.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
anyone who blames the nhl doesn't understand the facts.

i'm glad they're not going.

makes no sense.

just have a real Canada Cup every 4 years without the gimmick teams.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
dont care. crazy timezone. would never get to see it. always next olympics

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, I care. Especially since my team blows at the moment.

It's fun to see the excitement of the olympics combined with my favorite sport.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Canada's games are either at 7:10 a.m. or 10:10 pm eastern with another time slot at 2:40 am eastern for other games. The medal round games are similar times and the gold medal game is on a Saturday night at 11:10. NHL'ers or no NHL'ers there is no way in hell I was going to wake up that early on a weekend or stay up that late (forget about the workweek). And I imagine the majority of people when it comes down to it would do the same.

There's a reason the NHL doesn't want to go and yes there's a lot of financial implications here but simply put they know their base aren't going to be watching.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
No, I really don’t care. I’d probably watch the last three games.

I work with a guy who was involved in negotiating an Olympic pitch. His stories took away any remaining shred of innocence about the process.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Canada's games are either at 7:10 a.m. or 10:10 pm eastern with another time slot at 2:40 am eastern for other games. The medal round games are similar times and the gold medal game is on a Saturday night at 11:10. NHL'ers or no NHL'ers there is no way in hell I was going to wake up that early on a weekend or stay up that late (forget about the workweek). And I imagine the majority of people when it comes down to it would do the same.

There's a reason the NHL doesn't want to go and yes there's a lot of financial implications here but simply put they know their base aren't going to be watching.
I don't disagree with your reasoning, but it'll be interesting to watch how the NHL spins it when they do go to the 2022 Olympics in Beijing.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

This^^ Also, NHL style hockey on international ice is boring as hell.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
A little bit, but it will give a chance for some of the countries that typically don't do so hot to do a bit better and I like watching other sports at the Olympics enough to not care as much if there is less good of hockey. I'll probably be more disappointed the closer we get though.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
That game (fins vs usa) was more entertaining then the gold metal game.

I thoroughly enjoyed that bronze metal game!

A medal is made of metal.

As for the OP, yes I care. I would love to see the best on best and a Canada vs USA final out be great with the young players they both have.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Yes I care very much since I couldnt care less about the plastic cup named Stanely. National pride on the other hand. Anyway hockey is all murican neo-capitalism nowadays, infact mostly everything in the world is turning into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad