Do you care that the NHL isn't going to the olympics

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How many new fans NHL got by this? Just think.

in twenty years the answer is not enough to offset having to stop the league for two weeks and putting players IN SEASON at risk. the fact that the NHL's partner expressedly REFUSES to allow the league to have tie ins to the NHL probably contributes to that.

For perhaps one week, TJ oshie was the cause celebre in the US ( which is decidedly not sturated with hockey fans). then he faded back into obscurity amongst non hockey fans just like the girl who won moguls or snowboard big air. There are some individual olympic athletes who are immediately recognized ( phelps, sean whitem lindsey vonn) but riddle me this without googling it, who are Elana Meyers and lauryn Williams ? I'd bet a considerable amount of money that you couldnt pick either of them out of a lineup.

( the answer is that they were silver medal winners in women's bobsleigh in sochi, you think people who watched that race, rahed their rahs have wathcced another single women's bobsled race since ? not freaking likely)

Having eyes ( irrespective of the numbers) on the product for a couple of days every 4 years and with no ability to lead these eyes to the leagues and teams that these players play in DOES THE LEAGUE NO GOOD. The league doesnt need to attract fans more interested in nationalistic chest thumping that have no intention of paying for anything. The league needs to convert fans into PAYING fans. and the IOC is dead set against EVERY mechanism by which that could occur.

when the ioc said that they wanted the league to PAY for this priveledge of not being able to use the games to bring new fans to the league, the league finally did the only reasonable thing. cut ties with their "patrner" who doesnt give a crap about hockey. it was about time.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
But Matthews got injured while playing for the franchise that pays him. If you work for company A, and get hurt while doing it, that's one thing. If you work for company A, but get hurt while doing the same job for free for some other entity that doesn't compensate your employer, but you still get paid by your employer while you're out, how long is that going to work?
kinda crazy that you even had to point this out, seems obvious that there is a big difference between getting hurt in the Olympics vs getting hurt in the NHL.

People saying Olympics are not giving anything in return but that is simply just not true. It introduces hockey to the world in the way that nothing else comes close to. You're not getting that publicity to the sport worldwide with any money. 500 million viewer average of Winter Olympic events is something that nothing comes close to. You might say that is not giving anything to NHL but the sport only. That would be also false while NHL being the top of the iceberg of this sport and the worldwide attention has always great effects that mostly benefits the top of the iceberg in the end. This is publicity, new fans of sport, new national and international viewers for the sport and in the end all this will result as big money to the pockets of NHL. This means in the end NHL is now cutting of it's own leg bit by bit.
Ok if we’re saying that it will help the NHL grow the game, why not let them use highlights and footage of the games? That’s not helping grow the game either.

I don’t buy that a tournament in Korea with only a handful of competitive teams will help grow the game and generate more money for the league world wide. If this was the case , The owners would have seen the benefit the last 5 Olympics and it wouldn’t be a discussion whether they were going or not.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
People saying Olympics are not giving anything in return but that is simply just not true. It introduces hockey to the world in the way that nothing else comes close to. You're not getting that publicity to the sport worldwide with any money. 500 million viewer average of Winter Olympic events is something that nothing comes close to. You might say that is not giving anything to NHL but the sport only. That would be also false while NHL being the top of the iceberg of this sport and the worldwide attention has always great effects that mostly benefits the top of the iceberg in the end. This is publicity, new fans of sport, new national and international viewers for the sport and in the end all this will result as big money to the pockets of NHL. This means in the end NHL is now cutting of it's own leg bit by bit.

For hockey fans like me it introduces some of the greatest players of hockey ever combined in lines and teams. And most likely these teams like USA, Canada, Russia and Sweden are the best teams ever in the name of the sport. Who Real hockey fan would not like to see this happening? You are crazy I say, if you don't think that this not worth it. Then people say but hey - World cup, we have the world cup of hockey. Then it gets back to the first point I've made. Worldwide publicity. Only people to watch the World Cup are those that are already interested in the sport and the benefits of this event for the sport are very questionable.

So. As a true ice hockey fan I DO CARE BIG TIME that NHL is not going to the Olympics. It's is a very bad decision for the whole sport, not just to the mighty NHL.

edit: Ratings say people do care. Compare this to Stanley Cup finals figures.
"Canada's victory against Team USA in the Olympic gold-medal game Sunday night was the most-watched hockey game in the United States in 30 years. "
Olympic final most-watched hockey game in 30 years

How many new fans NHL got by this? Just think.
There is ONE Team USA, so the whole country is watching. Comparing that to a game between 2 local teams is dumb. All you need to do is show how the NHL benefitted. Show us the spike in ratings following the Olympics. Show us the spike in merchandise sales. Show us the spike in ticket sales or the spike on prices on the secondary market for the teams that sell out following the Olympics. Simply saying, "It introduces hockey to the World..." or "500million people watch..." has not meant anything to the NHL. I see it at work alone. I started working in my current job in 2003. Leading up the 06, 10, and 14 games the people who do not follow hockey would ask me about the guys in the Olympics. They watched, and as soon as it was over, they stopped watching hockey for 4 years. People watch the Olympics as it brings out a sense of patriotism. Not just hockey, but most of the sports. Most people do not care about gymnastics, swimming, track and field, figure skating, skiing, except for the Olympics.

But, I will ask you, how many new fans DID the NHL get because of the Olympics? The numbers say not that money.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It is going to be more annoying in 2022 when they do not go and the pro-Olympic people are whining about a chance to "grow the game" the 1 billion+ people in China. As if, they haven't watched hockey in the past Olympics or all of a sudden all 1 billion people are going to be attending the games or all of a sudden they are all watching the Olympics because they are being held in China.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Yes I do. Magical moments happen at the Olympics and if you don't have the best athletes there then why even bother.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yep. I always love watching the Olympics. Its fun seeing all of a countries best players playing together. The fact that the NHL isn't going makes me not even want to watch the hockey portion this year. Gonna enjoy some awesome snowboarding shit or somethin, idk.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yes. I have not paid for anything NHL-related this season.

Just like me and hopefully many people more. Until the NHL stops sabotaging international hockey they won't see a penny from me.
Well, the salary cap is reportedly going up next season, so I do not think they are worried about your penny. BTW, how much did you spend per year over the last 5 years?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Just like me and hopefully many people more. Until the NHL stops sabotaging international hockey they won't see a penny from me.
Don't like the NHL, then don't support it. but that isnt going to make international hockey any better. and if you are looking for saboteurs, direct your eyes towards the IOC.

Reactions: McRpro

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
As lame as the Olympics are, they were always SUPPOSED to be a multi-sport thing for amateurs. That's how it used to be, and that's how it should be. Sending millionaire star athletes over to steal amateur medals has always been dumb.

Eh..? You have to go back to the seventies or sixties for this noble dream to be even remotely true. Quite the absurd reason to be mad at the Olympics to be honest.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
No, I'm glad. Makes the tourney much more interesting. We already know who the dominant hockey nations are. How many gold medals do we need? (canada)

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
But Matthews got injured while playing for the franchise that pays him. If you work for company A, and get hurt while doing it, that's one thing. If you work for company A, but get hurt while doing the same job for free for some other entity that doesn't compensate your employer, but you still get paid by your employer while you're out, how long is that going to work?

And the point isn't the Islanders or Tavares specifically. All of the players in the Olympics are susceptible to injury. Most players don't get hurt playing a regular season game either. I'm constantly amazed that there aren't more skate blade related injuries, because legs are flying all over the place, but how many long term injuries are there even with 3rd and 4th line scrubs relative to the number of players and games involved? And there aren't that many injuries in the Olympics. It's not the number though, it's that it can happen in an exhibition that isn't tied to the player's contract. If the players want the Olympics so bad, guarantee it in the next CBA, even if they have to shut the league down for a year. If you leave the choice up to the owners/league, they're going to do what they feel is in their best interest. If they feel the risk outweighs the reward, for whatever reason, then you're not going.

Although I suppose the players could get together and go if they wanted to. Just stage a walk-out. I'm down for some chaos.

So the concern here is the owners? Welp better start moving American teams that are essentially dead weight and money losers for the majority of owners who have to socialize their losses. Oh wait, now we get into the "b-but, players have been developed watching those teams, AUSTON MATTHEWS!!!" argument which could easily be used for the Olympic argument as well.

It's just pathetic is all, I would expect more solidarity between the fans in desiring to watch the best compete against each other, blows my mind that some people don't want to see this and the BEST reasons they can come up with are protecting those poor old billionaire owners who might lose out on a very small percentage of profits!

I just cannot and will not ever get it, the anti nationalism crowd is hilarious too, Olympic nationalism is the most benign and pointless form of nationalism around (if you can even call it that), but poor snowflakes have to deal with a bit of flag waving for a few weeks, how will they cope???

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For all the whining and complaints from the players do fans actually care?

I'm glad that they aren't, don't care about Canada at international tournaments (unpopular mindset probably). And I'm glad that it doesn't delay the season and risk injury to the leagues biggest stars.

I would prefer the NHL not be part of the Olympics. I don't like the season being interrupted and I was much more invested in following Olympic hockey when it was non-NHLers who you would get to know during the Olympics and then they would join NHL teams for the stretch drive.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The idea of whether the owners are getting a great deal - as your #1 concern is simply ridiculous. If you're worried more about the financial well-being of NHL owners more than being able to watch a best-on-best tournament of hockey players around the world representing their country... I don't know what to say. Forbes has a website - I'd think you'd be on there. The players will go risk their careers for free but - you're worried about the owners bottom line? Insurance payments? Having to rent hotel rooms? (y'know they stay at Olympic Villages?) Food (once again - Olympic villages) and that the owners still would've gotten 82 games.

Off chance someone gets hurt and they have to pay their insurance premiums.

Hard to see how you can paint the NHL owners as greedy and selfish and not mention the IOC who is the one screwing everyone else over. As to the players "risking their careers for free".... the fact that they have guaranteed contracts completely negates that. If you rephrased that as "happy to let the team owner take the risk of having to continue to pay my salary for an injury I incurred while working for someone else" it would be more accurate.

We get it. You want to see Olympic hockey with NHL players. The fact remains, that when the time came to make it happen neither the players nor the IOC was willing to compromise even a little bit to get what they wanted. Ironic that out of all that, the NHL owners are the only ones you want to toss blame at.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So the concern here is the owners? Welp better start moving American teams that are essentially dead weight and money losers for the majority of owners who have to socialize their losses. Oh wait, now we get into the "b-but, players have been developed watching those teams, AUSTON MATTHEWS!!!" argument which could easily be used for the Olympic argument as well.

It's just pathetic is all, I would expect more solidarity between the fans in desiring to watch the best compete against each other, blows my mind that some people don't want to see this and the BEST reasons they can come up with are protecting those poor old billionaire owners who might lose out on a very small percentage of profits!

I just cannot and will not ever get it, the anti nationalism crowd is hilarious too, Olympic nationalism is the most benign and pointless form of nationalism around (if you can even call it that), but poor snowflakes have to deal with a bit of flag waving for a few weeks, how will they cope???
By not watching with baited breath what amounts to who wins an ugliest dog show?

By watching the best players on the planet in a playoff stretch fight and claw for every point?

That's what I will be doing. I might turn on the olypic hockey the way people rubberneck at car crashes, you know it's going to be bad but to truely appreciate HOW bad you have to set your peepers on it yourself.

If I am really jonesin for third rate hockey, I'm sure there is a midnight beer. League around somewhere.

You know what all hockey fans should rally around ( non hockey fans as well)? The notion that if you willingly enter into a contract, you honor it even if you, or someone else thinks you really don't need to in order to do something you would like more.

You getting behind the crazy notion that we are better off when. People honor their commitments?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
It'll be different and that's why I like it. Some long forgotten players will be on those rosters, + new faces (players on the rise etc.). Curious to see how it pans out.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Don't like the NHL, then don't support it. but that isnt going to make international hockey any better. and if you are looking for saboteurs, direct your eyes towards the IOC.
The NHL acts like the IOC owes NHL anything. It doesn't. The NHL os just alocal league, just like any other league. They are not entitled to any special treatment.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, the salary cap is reportedly going up next season, so I do not think they are worried about your penny. BTW, how much did you spend per year over the last 5 years?
:) First of all that's not of your business. And then you obviously don't undestand basic economics. Obviously they can survive one fan dropping out, Regardless of how much he/she spends. There is also a big chunk about marketing and how the league fools youinto believeing they sell you a quality product. They don't. The quality isdecreasing for quitesome time. For them it is only a business obviously. That is why disgust is what describes my feelings towards the league/owners. As long as those... people are making mney by selling people junkfood-hockey, they won't care about hockey or development of the game or whatever. The last thing I will do is spending moneon their product. If I can spend money somewhere on hurting the NHL, I will.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As lame as the Olympics are, they were always SUPPOSED to be a multi-sport thing for amateurs. That's how it used to be, and that's how it should be. Sending millionaire star athletes over to steal amateur medals has always been dumb.
And what do you base this assumption on? The miracle on ice happened and now all olympic tournaments should be based on this anomaly? It's kind of ironic you want only amateurs to compete, but not the millionaires. Well, historically, it was "amateurs" in the form of upper class aristocrats that mainly competed, because they were the only ones rich enough and with enough spare time to be really good in a sport. They were rich enough they didn't have to get paid to perform their sport.

So what do you exactly want? Plumbers and electricians competing against eachother in different sports? Or do you want amateur millionaires competing against eachother again? That sounds kind of awful if you ask me, but hey, maybe it sounds fun to you. I assume you're in the extreme minority, because most want to see the best compete against eachother.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The NHL acts like the IOC owes NHL anything. It doesn't. The NHL os just alocal league, just like any other league. They are not entitled to any special treatment.
Yeah they are just a local league, a local league with the overwhelming majority of the best players on the planet. A local league? Man that's rich.

And the NHL doesn't think the IOC owes them anything. That not what they think at all. The NHL thinks that they are tired of carrying their feckless partner for 20 years and came to the conclusion that there isn't one damn thing the IOC did for the NHL that the NHL coulldnt do itself. So they cut the dead weight. Better late than never.

Just a local league?!?!!? Har de Har freakingh har.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Like many others, I stopped paying to watch NHL games. I stopped immediately when they first voiced out that they were not going to let the players go to Korea.

And I would consider myself a diehard fan, having gotten up at 3 or 4 in the morning maybe a couple hundred times during the last years to watch live NHL games on a stream. And watching through a dearly paid package not some illegal channel.

With their stance, the NHL can just screw themselves. f*** them. I will repeat once more in capital letters: f*** THE NHL!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad