Do you believe that this team is a legit contender?

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
This team a contender?
Nope, at least 2 good/great players away and it needs to relieve itself of a couple of players to truly be in the running (Connelly/Hayes need to hit the back of the net more frequently, one of our young Dmen have to go as well). Outside of that, things are looking good.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
After watching most of the game last night, I have to say (although I don't think the B's gave their best effort) that some of the rookie d-men showed definite signs of inexperience, and some of the veteran d-men showed lack of speed, especially in the 3rd period allowing the fast skating, talented Blues forwards to score a couple of beautiful goals against a very hot goalie.

Rookies can and probably will improve as they gain more experience, but I am more concerned with the lack of foot speed by some of the veterans such as Seids, Chara and McQuaid. They could easily be exposed in a 7 game series against a fast skating team if they make the playoffs.

So, I'd have to say that although I like this Bruins team better than last year's team, I don't really think they have the horses to contend against the better teams in the league in a 7 game series.

Mostly because of our defensemen.

You think that is something that just manifested itself last night . Many here ,myself included have been shouting that from the rooftops for quite sometime - but we get labeled as hating Chara or Seids and wanting them traded.

Its a real problem and will only get worse as the minutes accumulate over the course of the season. Let's hope by playoff time the kids are ready because I'm not banking my hopes on Chara or Seids to carry this team through a brutally intense postseason.

And for those with the notion we can just trade them for other teams top defensive players , its not gonna happen without adding significant pieces.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You think that is something that just manifested itself last night . Many here ,myself included have been shouting that from the rooftops for quite sometime - but we get labeled as hating Chara or Seids and wanting them traded.

Its a real problem and will only get worse as the minutes accumulate over the course of the season. Let's hope by playoff time the kids are ready because I'm not banking my hopes on Chara or Seids to carry this team through a brutally intense postseason.

And for those with the notion we can just trade them for other teams top defensive players , its not gonna happen without adding significant pieces.

Why do so many posters seem to think for defensemen foot speed is more important than the ability to play defense?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Contender, nope. Spoiler in the first round? Could be that.

The Bs are way short up front to be contenders. For goodness sake, Krejci is centering Eriksson and Beleski for crying out loud!

I hope they make the playoffs, there is nothing better than the suspense that comes with quest for the cup.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I am very pleased with where the team is now compared to where I thought they would be. They appear to be a playoff team and I did not expect that this season.

Legit contender? No. Not as currently constituted.

Playoff spoiler? Yes.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

NO.

I have been concerned about the veteran d-men's lack of speed for some time now, but it was painfully obvious in the 3rd period against the Blues on Tuesday night.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
No this team is not a contender... their offense is able to score goals, their goaltending is good enough, but their defence is old and playing the amount of minutes they want from Chara and Seidenberg, they will break down and not be able to stand up to the every second day schedule. This team needs to upgrade their number 1 and 2 dmen, Chara and Seidenberg need to be 3 and 4, with C Miller and Trotman at number 5 and 6 and a Morrow at #7.

We have nothing to offer to get a #1, therefore Krug, K Miller, Mcquaid Eriksson, Connolly need to be trade bait to get us at least a #2 and maybe another #2 or #3 and hope that it would be enough. We need 2 guys who can play 23 minutes each going forward. But who is going to give up their #2's?? I don't see it happening...

As far as I'm concerned the next Stanley cup is not with this current roster but it's within the draft... they need to bulk up on their picks and not lose focus no matter how many games we are winning these past few months.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
So are you saying that if they got Shattenkirk, let's pretend for futures only, they would have a C+ defense, or they have a C+ defense today?

I think those ratings are for the current B's roster.

Shattenkirk would immeasurably upgrade our defensive group.

Problem, is that Shatts is showing himself to be better than the Blues' presumptive present and future #1 -- Pietrangelo.

I still think the Blues will find it difficult to re-sign Shattenkirk with all the massive contracts they're holding.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Personally I think we're two pieces away from being a legit contender (for more than just this season, that is). Obviously we're going to need a young future #1 to fill the looming Chara sized hole in our lineup, but I'd argue that we can also use a veteran top 4 guy who can A) help immediately by taking some of the pressure off Chara and B) maintain the shutdown and mentor role when Chara hangs up the skates.

I'm not sure who or what you have to give up to acquire both of these assets and I'm sure it'd be painful, but just look at the impact a healthy Chara has had on this team -- night and day. We'll be in dire straights if we don't figure this one out before the start of next season.

Ideally Sweeney could work some magic and bring us a top 4 minute eater this season because I think that's all we really need to make a run, and he spends the offseason focusing on our future #1.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think those ratings are for the current B's roster.

Shattenkirk would immeasurably upgrade our defensive group.

Problem, is that Shatts is showing himself to be better than the Blues' presumptive present and future #1 -- Pietrangelo.

I still think the Blues will find it difficult to re-sign Shattenkirk with all the massive contracts they're holding.

I think they are dumb if they do anything other than try and win this year with Shatty and then trade him for an enormous return this summer. No reason to trade him before the deadline honestly.

And in the summer the bidding probably gets silly even with him only having a year left.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
All our fans crapping on this team are seriously overrating the other teams out there (and probably think Pittsburgh are better than us.)

We are a top 5/6 team in the league only a few are better than us despite our flaws get over it and get behind them. And even with the D being shaky we might go deep and find ourselves in the ECFs or SCFs where we have an enormous advantage in net to negate our D being weaker. Rask vs Crawford should have been enough in 2013 but ****ing pooliot deked on an empty net.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
All our fans crapping on this team are seriously overrating the other teams out there (and probably think Pittsburgh are better than us.)

We are a top 5/6 team in the league only a few are better than us despite our flaws get over it and get behind them. And even with the D being shaky we might go deep and find ourselves in the ECFs or SCFs where we have an enormous advantage in net to negate our D being weaker. Rask vs Crawford should have been enough in 2013 but ****ing pooliot deked on an empty net.

We might be a ballpark top 5/6 team but if we're serious about us being contenders this year then that simply shouldn't be good enough. We need to close the gap between us and teams like Washington, Chicago, and LA. IMO this means finding help on D... sure our D core is serviceable and has improved since last season but compare our top 4 to the top handful of teams in the league, right now we simply don't match up. A single top 4 guy would put us over the top.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
Then you have to ask how are they going to be better against teams like Montreal, Tampa, Ottawa, Florida who have fast teams and are great forecheckers.
They as our top2 guys will struggle a lot against Montreal like we saw in the last game again.

Everywhere you keep talking about how we can't keep up with the ''fast teams in our division'', yet we are 8-3 in divisional games if I didn't miss any. Oh, and 2 of the 3 losses were in those first three games where we had Matt ''Disaster'' Irwin playing instead of Chara. With the oh so slow Chara in the lineup, we've beat our speedy divisional opponents 8 times out of 9. Of the teams you mentioned, 1-1 vs Montreal, 1-0 vs Tampa, 2-0 vs Florida.

I'm sure you'll call those flawed stats, but what's flawed is your eye test. People see what they want to see and you've already decided Chara and Seidenberg are too slow, so all you see is their flaws.

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
It doesn't seem like they should be...but I'm coming around to believe there is more here than we give them credit for.

They don't LOOK like a contender when you watch them, but the results are there.

I'm calling them a contender...for now, at least.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Really?

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Let's see how the team does when 1 or 2 key players are injured.
(No, I do not consider Pastrnak a key player)

We had quite an easy schedule so far and quite healthy team.

We have to make the playoffs first which is gonna be tough enough. If we're in, we might be winning one round, but that's about it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Everywhere you keep talking about how we can't keep up with the ''fast teams in our division'', yet we are 8-3 in divisional games if I didn't miss any. Oh, and 2 of the 3 losses were in those first three games where we had Matt ''Disaster'' Irwin playing instead of Chara. With the oh so slow Chara in the lineup, we've beat our speedy divisional opponents 8 times out of 9. Of the teams you mentioned, 1-1 vs Montreal, 1-0 vs Tampa, 2-0 vs Florida.

I'm sure you'll call those flawed stats, but what's flawed is your eye test. People see what they want to see and you've already decided Chara and Seidenberg are too slow, so all you see is their flaws.

This is a regular season, not the playoffs, and everyone knows what every successfull team has in the playoffs.
Rask also won't keep his .955% pace forever, we get outplayed regularly.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Only the Caps would be a sure series loss unless a total upset. They are the best team in the conference and likely be representing the East in the SCF.

Against any other East team, the Bruins would stand a chance. Against some, a very good chance.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Only the Caps would be a sure series loss unless a total upset. They are the best team in the conference and likely be representing the East in the SCF.

Against any other East team, the Bruins would stand a chance. Against some, a very good chance.

The way our team is structured and playing presently I will have to agree with you totally on what you have mentioned here above.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a regular season, not the playoffs, and everyone knows what every successfull team has in the playoffs.
Rask also won't keep his .955% pace forever, we get outplayed regularly.

Rask's save % for the season is .918. With him at .918, the team has the 3rd best point percentage in the NHL. With him at .955, this team would be one of the best of all time. So I'm not sure what your point is here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00