Do you believe that this team is a legit contender?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rask's save % for the season is .918. With him at .918, the team has the 3rd best point percentage in the NHL. With him at .955, this team would be one of the best of all time. So I'm not sure what your point is here.

He's at that during our hot streak, the last 12 games or so for Rask.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's at that during our hot streak, the last 12 games or so for Rask.

Right, but what are you arguing? No one is saying they are going to be a 130 point team. Rask has a 918 save % on the season. With that save % the team has a great record. The goaltending wont be as good as it is right now the rest of the season, but its really just still playing catchup for how bad it was.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We get outplayed regularly? Like moreso than other good teams?

I disagree. I disagree strongly.

If one only watches intensely for the couple times Chara or Seidenberg loses a puck in their feet or gets beat by speed, one could say the Bruins get outplayed regularly. Regularly meaning the same few times a game every other #1 and #3 defenseman gets beat or coughs it up.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
If one only watches intensely for the couple times Chara or Seidenberg loses a puck in their feet or gets beat by speed, one could say the Bruins get outplayed regularly. Regularly meaning the same few times a game every other #1 and #3 defenseman gets beat or coughs it up.

Chara gives up the puck more than any other Bruins defenseman. This can be pretty glaring, but I got curious and did a little number crunching. Of defensemen with more than 400 minutes played, Chara is around 12th in giveaways per 60 TOI (5on5). This is still a little glaring, but there are some good defensemen with worse numbers. Brent Burns, Seabrook, the entire Habs defense...
It's not horrible, but it's enough to be troubling, and to underscore the observation that Chara isn't the same player anymore.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
they're a 2011 horton and seidenberg away

I would have to agree with this. I think with just the latter addition though, they might have a 50/50 chance with just about anyone(including Habs, Rangers), and at least a fighting chance against he Caps.

Out west, I only view Hawks, Blues, and Kings as true contenders. Teams like Stars/Preds haven't proven anything yet in the post season.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Chara gives up the puck more than any other Bruins defenseman. This can be pretty glaring, but I got curious and did a little number crunching. Of defensemen with more than 400 minutes played, Chara is around 12th in giveaways per 60 TOI (5on5). This is still a little glaring, but there are some good defensemen with worse numbers. Brent Burns, Seabrook, the entire Habs defense...
It's not horrible, but it's enough to be troubling, and to underscore the observation that Chara isn't the same player anymore.

Yet he's still on pace for a +30.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Yet he's still on pace for a +30.

+/- is such an unreliable stat for defenders , especially ones like Chara who play a ton of minutes. It can deflate numbers by playing against opponents top line players but can bloat numbers because he's usually on with our top line especially at home.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
+/- is such an unreliable stat for defenders , especially ones like Chara who play a ton of minutes. It can deflate numbers by playing against opponents top line players but can bloat numbers because he's usually on with our top line especially at home.

So his numbers are deflated by playing against top lines and inflated because he plays with our top line, thus evening each other out? Not really hurting my argument.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Team is miles better than I expected. Def not a contender though. Could be one if Sweeney decides to trade away prospects and picks at the deadline (overpay most likely).

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think it's hard to envision your team as "out of it" when there's been one top dog in the East, a ton of parity among the rest and teams that were supposed to be dominant have been somewhat dysfunctional.

I'm glad there's many more games to be played until they make decisions but if things carry on the way they have I think you're going to see what Dom has mentioned and a trade deadline that sees very few sellers and a number of teams that have as good a chance as any to bang out a couple rounds, whether or not they look like true Cup contenders.

Where they end up at the end of the season comes down to health and goaltending, I think.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yep, there are so many things affecting those numbers, as Kevan Miller could have been looked at as a Norris contender last year by +/- stat.

Right, but what are you arguing? No one is saying they are going to be a 130 point team. Rask has a 918 save % on the season. With that save % the team has a great record. The goaltending wont be as good as it is right now the rest of the season, but its really just still playing catchup for how bad it was.

Could I be saying that he has been covering for our D-zone collapses, just maybe a bit?

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

The fact that Chara isn't on pace for -30 with that usage is mind blowing.

To me it just proves they're spending a lot time in the Dzone and icing the puck when Z is on the ice. Again stats can be twisted many ways to fit any agenda, but in my eyes Chara is either still very injured or father time has eroded his skill set.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
They are 2 players away from making a deep run. A top 4 defensemen (someone defensively sound... not offense only) and a scoring forward with some grit. Doesn't have to be a true power forward but at least know how to get back on defense and will fight for the puck.

I could see them having a chance. The problem is getting the players without turning over much of the current roster.

That part might be tricky.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
They are 2 players away from making a deep run. A top 4 defensemen (someone defensively sound... not offense only) and a scoring forward with some grit. Doesn't have to be a true power forward but at least know how to get back on defense and will fight for the puck.

I could see them having a chance. The problem is getting the players without turning over much of the current roster.

That part might be tricky.

Not just tricky , almost impossible due to current cap situation.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
To me it just proves they're spending a lot time in the Dzone and icing the puck when Z is on the ice. Again stats can be twisted many ways to fit any agenda, but in my eyes Chara is either still very injured or father time has eroded his skill set.

Chara has slipped in the last year or so. You notice it mostly when he is forced to make a quick decision. I am sure his mind is working but his body just doesn't keep up. I still like him on the ice in transition or when he can box a player to the outside but a speedster with good puck handling skills can get by him a lot of the time.

Some of this might be because of being overused. Which leads to the next point of getting another defensemen at the trade deadline to give him some rest.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
collin miller sent down to providence and kevin miller a regular in the bruins lineup. SAD! SAD! SAD!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad