Do you believe that this team is a legit contender?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We all know the D needs to be solidified. It's very tough for me to imagine winning another Cup with this extremely aged and weak D-core.

I don't know why people are still calling for that "sniper with grit" other than the fact that it's cliche. The offense is plenty talented enough. I'm not giving up anything (other than if it's a fourth round pick or lower, which isn't possible) for yet another forward. If we've got a pretty healthy roster (which includes Pasta), we don't need even more offense. At some point people need to stop their constant hollering for a "SNIPAH". It's just not necessary or realistic.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think our forward group when healthy is fine. I actually think they have some solid depth as long as it's mostly bottom 6 guys injured/out.

Our defense IMO is t carrying this team anywhere near a cup. It can maybe get them in the playoffs and into the second round but I think in a 7 game series a good or even mediocre coach will identify the weaknesses in our D and exploit them.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think our forward group when healthy is fine. I actually think they have some solid depth as long as it's mostly bottom 6 guys injured/out.

Our defense IMO is t carrying this team anywhere near a cup. It can maybe get them in the playoffs and into the second round but I think in a 7 game series a good or even mediocre coach will identify the weaknesses in our D and exploit them.

Yup. +1 on all of this.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I don't think we are in that top tier with LA, NY, Dal, and WSH. However a hot Goalie can take over a series. We are not a top contender, but we are in the conversation.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Not a 'legit' contender, but who cares? We're playing with house money this season. All expectations have been surpassed. I'd rather not go all-in. Keep building for the future, and if we happen to make a run anyways...fantastic!

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
I don't think we are in that top tier with LA, NY, Dal, and WSH. However a hot Goalie can take over a series. We are not a top contender, but we are in the conversation.
I don't think NY belongs in that list.
To me, the top tier is Chicago and LA. That's it.

The next level down to me are teams like Dallas, New York, Washington, St. Louis, Montreal, San Jose and Boston. I think anyone from this tier can win the Cup but all of these teams have a major flaw or fall into the "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

I like this team but we need three things to happen to really be a threat in The East:
1. DK needs to be healthy
2. Our forward core needs to continue to work hard
3. We need to add a legit #2 defenseman (Think a defensive version of Gonchar in 2004) that can play PK and 25 minutes a night.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Tier 1
Chicago, LA

Tier 2
Was, Dallas

Tier 3
Boston, Montreal, NY, Tampa, STL, Min, etc

I think the Caps are tier 1 and the only real contender in the East (although a hot goalie, scoring run could take a team in the east to the end but I generally think the east mostly sucks are are the can win the cup if all stars align in their favor category).

I think the Cul is staying in the west this season and the east is pretty much wide open. I think the Bruins are still a bubble team and I think they might do best to stand pat and run with the group they have vs giving up assets for a run that likely ends in a first/second round ouster.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
We aren't contenders. The team needs some shuffling. Prospects are still too young, that's the problem. They can't start signing guys or they'll be back in cap hell again. Sweeney needs time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No, not legit contenders barring a major move.

This has nothing to do with the WC, been saying it since training camp. I'm glad the B's are playing better than I expected, but they aren't a "real" contender. They are a couple of years and a few moves away IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad