Speculation: Do we make the playoffs?

Do we make the playoffs in 23/24?

• The Pittsbrugh Sullivans always find a way (yes)

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • lmao no, lol (what, are you blind, no!)

Votes: 45 84.9%

• Total voters

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People can nitpick things all day and night, but the answer is simple. It's the PP.

They are 6th in GA. They are 16th in GF. They are 27th in PPG. If they had an even mediocre PP, they'd have 8 more goals which would put them T-6th in GF.

It's really that simple. Pick up a PPG here or there and it likely changes the outcome of at least a few games. Even a few OTL and they would be in playoff position.
The problem is the PP isn't just bad because of bad luck. It's horrible in terms of actual execution.

There's no reason to believe the PP will fix itself, or that this coaching staff or these players have any answers on how to fix it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The problem is the PP isn't just bad because of bad luck. It's horrible in terms of actual execution.

There's no reason to believe the PP will fix itself, or that this coaching staff or these players have any answers on how to fix it.

You have to think a PP with Malkin and EK can atleast be better going forward, eventually.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You have to think a PP with Malkin and EK can atleast be better going forward, eventually.
I'd like to believe it can't be quite *this* bad but here we are.

I don't see any reason to believe it will turn into a lethal unit. The best I think we can hope for right now is that the PP gets it together enough to be competent instead of bleeding SHG chances against and losing momentum every time. I certainly don't ever expect it to be actually good.

But let's start with the PP not being an abomination and then go from there. Baby steps I'd be fine with it. If anything it is actually getting worse game by game right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd like to believe it can't be quite *this* bad but here we are.

I don't see any reason to believe it will turn into a lethal unit. The best I think we can hope for right now is that the PP gets it together enough to be competent instead of bleeding SHG chances against and losing momentum every time. I certainly don't ever expect it to be actually good.

But let's start with the PP not being an abomination and then go from there. Baby steps I'd be fine with it. If anything it is actually getting worse game by game right now.
The problem is we use Guentzel as a net front guy. IDK who they could actually put there who has some offense. Would have to explore a trade for a thumper using Rakell for 1 for 1 trade.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Test out in practice who is most willing to chase loose pucks and park their ass in the goalie's face on the power play. Put that guy on the top PP unit with Sid, Geno, Karlsson and whoever else is playing the best. /shrug

I do think there's merit to the whole "stars are gonna do their own thing on the PP", so just fix the other shit and set them up for as much success as possible. Need someone who can hustle down pucks and is willing to do nothing but screen the goalie. Doesn't have to be a prime Hornqvist--I think at least one of Rakell, Zoho, or DOC can fit the bill.

-edit- Which is a long way of saying "Actually f***ing do some coaching, the PP shouldn't be this bad, even if Sid/Geno are a bit selfish and do their own thing with the man advantage."

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

It's also not because of lack of talent.

They need to figure it out. And if they don't, it doesn't matter what league minimum player they bring in to play in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Pancakes

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So after years of decline and witnessing insufferable defeats year after year - even 3-1 up in a playoff round to crumble and lose 3 straight to keep up the masquerade at this club - _now_ you realize the jokes on you, after a loss to.... Buffalo?
How so....?
Did you bump your head against a nuke?

I can’t imagine how what I said could confuse anyone with a single-digit-or-higher IQ

• Haha
Reactions: LOGiK

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003

I can’t imagine how what I said could confuse anyone with a single-digit-or-higher IQ
Not cool to insult folks when their home has an active gas leak.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Genuine question; We know this team's had stretches where their finishing is near the bottom of the league for years. As a whole, how realistic is it that they finish at a league average clip for the rest of the year? :laugh:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
They're .500 at the 25% mark so I can't say my perspective entering the season has changed a whole lot. Yeah, they're a bubble team on the bubble. I'm generally optimistic Dubas will refine the roster. Some improvements have been discovered, like a functional third line, maybe a decent new bottom pairing, decent PK, decent goaltending depth. They're decent. There's enough there that I have my normal "they'll get better as the season progresses" attitude. Some teams in the East are overachieving, some under. Naturally, my position will shift with each individual game.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens would be fifth in the east if this played out.

I don't want to believe this model because I don't want the Oilers to have 99 points after their horrific start. I want that to continue. I want to see McDavid drown in that organization. I want him to never have a cup. I want the people of Edmonton to taste ash anytime they think back at the McDavid era.

I have my reasons.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Dr. Jekyll says yes we do. We have 10 very convincing regulation wins that we look VERY good in.

Mr. Hyde says no we don't. We have 10 AWFUL regulation losses that make us look like a bunch of jagoffs.

41-41-0 won't make the playoffs, however. The Pens need to figure out who they are - Jekyll or Hyde.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Must've.
Oh, just been walking down around the underground missile silo I have access to and I tripped.
Good one. :thumbu:

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
The game against buffalo was the night the music died for me. They will continue to play hockey, but they’re not competing for anything. The farewell tour has started and the buses and vans are already packed
For me too. I can forgive the Anaheim hiccup as just horrible bad luck at the worst possible time. But losing in regulation in 10 minutes while up 2-0 against a meh Sabres team?

I'd love for them to prove me wrong but they just look like clowns right now. I hope they prove me wrong, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad